The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jan 16, 2007, 09:47pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Exclamation Scariest games ever

The other day I had two games on the same evening that were two point games in the final seconds and in each one, the trailing team missed a relatively easy two-pointer that would have sent each game into OT.

I'm still having nightmares about it.

Of course, if either game had gone into OT, I would have blamed my partner.
Old Tue Jan 16, 2007, 10:01pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett

I know, its always your partners fault of OT
Old Tue Jan 16, 2007, 10:35pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
The other day I had two games on the same evening that were two point games in the final seconds and in each one, the trailing team missed a relatively easy two-pointer that would have sent each game into OT.

I called a GV game a few years ago that matched perhaps the two worst teams in girls HS b-ball history. If my partners & I had called everything we'd still be there At the end the home team missed a shot at the buzzer that would have sent us into OT. I still wake in a cold sweat after nightmares about that monster
Old Tue Jan 16, 2007, 11:01pm
Official Forum Member

I just got home from a double overtime game. There was nobody to blame except players forgetting to shoot.
Old Tue Jan 16, 2007, 11:07pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
Quote:

Remember that the next time you hear Dickie V assail the ap arrow. 4 jump balls in one night?
Old Wed Jan 17, 2007, 08:31am
Lighten up, Francis.

Hey, you could've had Texas/Ok. State last night. Triple OT!
Old Wed Jan 17, 2007, 08:45am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisSportsFan
I just got home from a double overtime game. There was nobody to blame except players forgetting to shoot.
I had one with 3 overtimes. The players did shoot, sometimes, but they would not score even in a bathtub (as we use to say here): the second OT ended 3-3.

Another time I was in the stands and the girls' game ended after three overtimes (more than two hours). At the end of the third OT the team down by two tried a lay-up: the ball started to turn on the rim, the time elapsed, and after what seemed some minutes the ball finally went out of the basket. Of course the blame was on the two officials. It was a Sunday morning and we had lunch well past 3pm.
Old Wed Jan 17, 2007, 09:10am
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eg-italy
the second OT ended 3-3.
EG, you obviously got confused and posted a soccer score. This is that basketball forum.

That was a basketball score? Then. . . WOW!
Old Wed Jan 17, 2007, 10:57am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper1
EG, you obviously got confused and posted a soccer score. This is that basketball forum.

That was a basketball score? Then. . . WOW!
Well, it was the partial score in the second overtime only! Thought it was obvious! No game ends 3-3 after regulation, not even 8 year old kids' games!

In that overtime both teams were almost at their worst; maybe one field goal and four FTs went in (with many fouls and bonus FTs, of course). In the third OT, the visitors were exhausted; their opponents were still breathing, so they won "easily". Horrible game, but the officials were great. We just couldn't avoid the OTs.

Ciao
Old Wed Jan 17, 2007, 11:45am
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:
Well, it was the partial score in the second overtime only! Thought it was obvious!
It probably was, and I just missed it.

Quote:
No game ends 3-3 after regulation, not even 8 year old kids' games!
Well, when my little tiny private high school first put a girls' team together, they lost a game 4-2 in their first season.
Old Wed Jan 17, 2007, 06:46pm
Official Forum Member

I have never seen a game where neither team would score in double digits, but there was a game in a women's national cup competition a couple of years ago, where a professional team rolled over an amateur team (rec-league level) ... the final score was 285 - 0 (yes, zero!)

Never figured out how that happened. While I expected it to be very lopsided (The club's first team had been crushed in a regular season game of the national championship only days before the cup game, so they didn't send their pros but the 3rd or 4th team.), I still can't imagine how a team can't score a single basket in 40 minutes. I don't remember whether they made it to the freethrow line or not, but you would think they should have made at least one shot ...

@eg: Where do you ref in Italy (which league)? I like to watch the referees in games from Italy, Spain or Greece. These are not only the strongest competitions in Europe (besides European Cups and EuroLeague of course), but I think that the level of refereeing is also very high.

Last edited by Kostja; Wed Jan 17, 2007 at 07:15pm.
Old Wed Jan 17, 2007, 07:38pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kostja
I have never seen a game where neither team would score in double digits, but there was a game in a women's national cup competition a couple of years ago, where a professional team rolled over an amateur team (rec-league level) ... the final score was 285 - 0 (yes, zero!)
As I explained, 3-3 was the partial score in the second overtime. It was a men's game, third division. Never seen a game in which one of the teams didn't score in double figures; but some years ago, in my town, there was a 307-2 (13 year old boys).
Quote:
@eg: Where do you ref in Italy (which league)? I like to watch the referees in games from Italy, Spain or Greece. These are not only the strongest competitions in Europe (besides European Cups and EuroLeague of course), but I think that the level of refereeing is also very high.
Not officiating any more (Achilles' tendon refused to follow my career advancement hopes ) Thank you for the kind comments on the refereeing level, also I think that we have some good officials in Italy and there are good ones in Euroleague.
Old Wed Jan 17, 2007, 08:00pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Had a JV girls game go OT. No one scored for either team from about 2 minutes left in the fourth quarter until 2 minutes into the 2nd overtime. 8 solid minutes without so much as a made free throw.
Had a girl on the line at the end of the first OT and she clanked 'em both. 2nd OT was a shoot out with the visitors outscoring the home team 5-2.
Old Thu Jan 18, 2007, 12:43am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Well, it was the partial score in the second overtime only! Thought it was obvious! No game ends 3-3 after regulation, not even 8 year old kids' games!

In that overtime both teams were almost at their worst; maybe one field goal and four FTs went in (with many fouls and bonus FTs, of course). In the third OT, the visitors were exhausted; their opponents were still breathing, so they won "easily". Horrible game, but the officials were great. We just couldn't avoid the OTs.

Ciao
A varsity girls high school game here ended 52-3 this year.
Old Thu Jan 18, 2007, 12:51am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Fronheiser
A varsity girls high school game here ended 52-3 this year.
That seems to be the score of many post season girl's games here.

Peace