The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri May 28, 2004, 09:26am
Official Forum Member

I finally did my first game after becoming "official." Actually, it turned out to be FOUR junior high girls games. (Legs were a little tired.)

All went pretty well. I missed a few calls that I was aware of...and I'm sure some more that I wasn't aware of

But, I got some nice compliments from my partners (two games with one guy and the next two with another guy) and from the guy who runs the league.

Thanks to all on this forum. I was a bit nervous, but I've learned a great deal reading discussions here and that gave me some degree of confidence.
Old Fri May 28, 2004, 01:03pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Way to go, Nu1. Stick with it and it gets even better.
Old Fri May 28, 2004, 01:29pm
Official Forum Member

I can remember the first time I had a good game. It took me a while, maybe 15 games. I still made mistakes (known and unknown), but I didn't interfere with the game.

Then I got on this post and started really reading more and more cases and philosophies. I SUCK AGAIN!!!!!
Old Fri May 28, 2004, 02:25pm
Official Forum Member

Talking

Girls Jr. High, what a way to get started. Ouch!

If anything can or will happen on a court, it will in a jr.high game. As you move up, you'll find the high school games easier. Much, much faster, but the goofy "did that really happen" stuff doesnt happen.

Good Luck and Welcome!
Old Fri May 28, 2004, 02:43pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref

Sounds like you had fun Nu1!

Old Fri May 28, 2004, 11:04pm
Official Forum Member

First few games are a little overwhelming at first, aren't they?

Welcome to the club. Hope you have fun and continue to enjoy it.
"And I'm not just some fan, I've refereed football and basketball in addition to all the baseball I've umpired. I've never made a call that horrible in my life in any sport."---Greatest. Official. Ever.
Old Fri May 28, 2004, 11:12pm
In Memoriam

Wink

Attaboy, Nu1!
mick
Old Sat May 29, 2004, 02:45pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Cool

Just curious. On average, how many times per game did you have to go to the AP arrow? More than 20?

Also - are you now convinced that this level of girls game should be referred to as "Slap-A-Rama"?
Old Sat May 29, 2004, 05:25pm
Official Forum Member

Funny you should ask about the AP arrow...
Actually, the arrow was used most in my fourth game. That is also when the most agressive team of the evening was playing. There was one sequence where we went to the arrow three times in a row. I remember thinking, "Geez, are we ever going to get this game going again."

Not too much slapping though. I think I went about 12 minutes in the first game without blowing my whistle (with the exception of a couple OOB calls). A friend of mine who used to be PIAA certified (I'm in Pennsylvania) was kidding me about how I would be timid and not blow my whistle. I do think I'm a little slow on the call right now, but maybe that's better than being too fast to make the call. I'm sure I'll improve as time...and time...and time goes by
Old Sun May 30, 2004, 09:03am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally posted by Nu1
I do think I'm a little slow on the call right now,
Do not worry about this. It is almost a universal problem with brand new officials. It's not just you. There are so many things floating around your brain (position, mechanics, oops, don't ball-watch!) that it's easy to forget to blow the whistle.

Even as a "veteran" basketball official, when I first started officiating lacrosse, I went through the same thing. Watch the play. . . ok there's contact. . . hey, he can't do that!! . . . shoot, the play's already in the other half of the field.

You're absolutely right that you'll get better at this over time. The more basketball you work, the more easily you'll recognize the illegal contact and the quicker you'll be able to react to it.
Old Sun May 30, 2004, 03:12pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Nu1
I do think I'm a little slow on the call right now, but maybe that's better than being too fast to make the call. I'm sure I'll improve as time...and time...and time goes by
You're right on on that one - if you're too fast, you're going to have a lot more problems than if you're too slow.

Also, it's easier to speed things up (as you learn and can recognize more) than to slow things down.