The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Scariest games ever (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/30948-scariest-games-ever.html)

Mark Padgett Tue Jan 16, 2007 09:47pm

Scariest games ever

The other day I had two games on the same evening that were two point games in the final seconds and in each one, the trailing team missed a relatively easy two-pointer that would have sent each game into OT.

I'm still having nightmares about it. :eek:

Of course, if either game had gone into OT, I would have blamed my partner. :p

budjones05 Tue Jan 16, 2007 10:01pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Padgett

I know, its always your partners fault of OT

Corndog89 Tue Jan 16, 2007 10:35pm

Quote:

The other day I had two games on the same evening that were two point games in the final seconds and in each one, the trailing team missed a relatively easy two-pointer that would have sent each game into OT.

I called a GV game a few years ago that matched perhaps the two worst teams in girls HS b-ball history. If my partners & I had called everything we'd still be there :) At the end the home team missed a shot at the buzzer that would have sent us into OT. I still wake in a cold sweat after nightmares about that monster :rolleyes:

ChrisSportsFan Tue Jan 16, 2007 11:01pm

I just got home from a double overtime game. There was nobody to blame except players forgetting to shoot.

26 Year Gap Tue Jan 16, 2007 11:07pm

Quote:

Remember that the next time you hear Dickie V assail the ap arrow. 4 jump balls in one night? :eek:

Scrapper1 Wed Jan 17, 2007 08:31am

Hey, you could've had Texas/Ok. State last night. Triple OT!

eg-italy Wed Jan 17, 2007 08:45am

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChrisSportsFan
I just got home from a double overtime game. There was nobody to blame except players forgetting to shoot.

I had one with 3 overtimes. :eek: The players did shoot, sometimes, but they would not score even in a bathtub (as we use to say here): the second OT ended 3-3. :mad:

Another time I was in the stands and the girls' game ended after three overtimes (more than two hours). At the end of the third OT the team down by two tried a lay-up: the ball started to turn on the rim, the time elapsed, and after what seemed some minutes the ball finally went out of the basket. Of course the blame was on the two officials.:) It was a Sunday morning and we had lunch well past 3pm.:mad:

Scrapper1 Wed Jan 17, 2007 09:10am

Quote:

Originally Posted by eg-italy
the second OT ended 3-3.

EG, you obviously got confused and posted a soccer score. This is that basketball forum. :D

That was a basketball score? Then. . . WOW!

eg-italy Wed Jan 17, 2007 10:57am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scrapper1
EG, you obviously got confused and posted a soccer score. This is that basketball forum. :D

That was a basketball score? Then. . . WOW!

Well, it was the partial score in the second overtime only! Thought it was obvious! No game ends 3-3 after regulation, not even 8 year old kids' games!

In that overtime both teams were almost at their worst; maybe one field goal and four FTs went in (with many fouls and bonus FTs, of course). In the third OT, the visitors were exhausted; their opponents were still breathing, so they won "easily". Horrible game, but the officials were great.;) We just couldn't avoid the OTs.;)

Ciao

Scrapper1 Wed Jan 17, 2007 11:45am

Quote:

Well, it was the partial score in the second overtime only! Thought it was obvious!

It probably was, and I just missed it.

Quote:

No game ends 3-3 after regulation, not even 8 year old kids' games!
Well, when my little tiny private high school first put a girls' team together, they lost a game 4-2 in their first season. :eek:

Kostja Wed Jan 17, 2007 06:46pm

I have never seen a game where neither team would score in double digits, but there was a game in a women's national cup competition a couple of years ago, where a professional team rolled over an amateur team (rec-league level) ... the final score was 285 - 0 (yes, zero!) :eek:

Never figured out how that happened. While I expected it to be very lopsided (The club's first team had been crushed in a regular season game of the national championship only days before the cup game, so they didn't send their pros but the 3rd or 4th team.), I still can't imagine how a team can't score a single basket in 40 minutes. I don't remember whether they made it to the freethrow line or not, but you would think they should have made at least one shot ...

@eg: Where do you ref in Italy (which league)? I like to watch the referees in games from Italy, Spain or Greece. These are not only the strongest competitions in Europe (besides European Cups and EuroLeague of course), but I think that the level of refereeing is also very high.

eg-italy Wed Jan 17, 2007 07:38pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kostja
I have never seen a game where neither team would score in double digits, but there was a game in a women's national cup competition a couple of years ago, where a professional team rolled over an amateur team (rec-league level) ... the final score was 285 - 0 (yes, zero!) :eek:

As I explained, 3-3 was the partial score in the second overtime. It was a men's game, third division. Never seen a game in which one of the teams didn't score in double figures; but some years ago, in my town, there was a 307-2 (13 year old boys).
Quote:

@eg: Where do you ref in Italy (which league)? I like to watch the referees in games from Italy, Spain or Greece. These are not only the strongest competitions in Europe (besides European Cups and EuroLeague of course), but I think that the level of refereeing is also very high.
Not officiating any more (Achilles' tendon refused to follow my career advancement hopes :() Thank you for the kind comments on the refereeing level, also I think that we have some good officials in Italy and there are good ones in Euroleague.

Adam Wed Jan 17, 2007 08:00pm

Had a JV girls game go OT. No one scored for either team from about 2 minutes left in the fourth quarter until 2 minutes into the 2nd overtime. 8 solid minutes without so much as a made free throw.
Had a girl on the line at the end of the first OT and she clanked 'em both. 2nd OT was a shoot out with the visitors outscoring the home team 5-2.

Rich Thu Jan 18, 2007 12:43am

Quote:

Well, it was the partial score in the second overtime only! Thought it was obvious! No game ends 3-3 after regulation, not even 8 year old kids' games!

In that overtime both teams were almost at their worst; maybe one field goal and four FTs went in (with many fouls and bonus FTs, of course). In the third OT, the visitors were exhausted; their opponents were still breathing, so they won "easily". Horrible game, but the officials were great.;) We just couldn't avoid the OTs.;)

Ciao

A varsity girls high school game here ended 52-3 this year.

JRutledge Thu Jan 18, 2007 12:51am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich Fronheiser
A varsity girls high school game here ended 52-3 this year.

That seems to be the score of many post season girl's games here.

Peace