The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Aug 02, 2005, 11:48am
Official Forum Member

I'm new to this profession and I understand, at least in this area (Michigan), that the assignor only schedules for Freshman, JV and Varsity games. If this is the standard protocol in your areas, how do officials get assignments for your area middle school games? I'll probably get some freshman games but don't care if I do middle school as well. Anything that will get me experience.
Old Tue Aug 02, 2005, 11:59am
Do not give a damn!!

In my state you can get middle school games from anywhere and everywhere. Some are assigned by a HS/college assignor. Some are assigned by the ADs of the school. Some are assigned by one official who is not normally an assignor. Some are assigned through an association. Every way you can get a HS game, is not much different when it comes to picking up middle school games. The major difference is HS/college assignors usually do not have to go out and "hustle" for officials to work those games. Most middle school assignors have to let officials know they are even assigning these games. Most officials are not trying to work a lot of middle school games.

Peace
Old Tue Aug 02, 2005, 12:07pm
Official Forum Member

My chapter works for 5 different assignors. Two do boys varsity scheduling (one does A and AA, the other does AAA and AAAA games), 1 does girls varsity, 1 does middle school boys and girls, 1 does 5th and 6th grade rec leagues. Ask your fellow officials who the assignors are and contact them. They will give you an idea of what you need to do to get games from them.
Old Tue Aug 02, 2005, 03:45pm
Official Forum Member

Call (or email) the Middle School athletic office and ask who assigns the basketball officials. This is the best way, even for high schools if you aren't sure.
Old Wed Aug 03, 2005, 12:14pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Rizzo21
I'm new to this profession and I understand, at least in this area (Michigan), that the assignor only schedules for Freshman, JV and Varsity games. If this is the standard protocol in your areas, how do officials get assignments for your area middle school games? I'll probably get some freshman games but don't care if I do middle school as well. Anything that will get me experience.
I would guess that the schools do it themselves. I would call a couple and ask and if that is the case and you want to work send a short letter to each middle school AD and introduce yourself and relay your willingness to work. This is how I got started and I believe I shaved several years off the 'ladder' by being proactive rather than reactive.
Old Wed Aug 03, 2005, 12:38pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Ask your high school assignor. He/She will know for sure.
Old Wed Aug 03, 2005, 03:47pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
The HS AD's often do it U.P. where you live, Rizzo21.
Old Thu Aug 04, 2005, 08:27pm
Official Forum Member

You can also ask your local association. In our area they have websites with information on who the assignors are.
Old Thu Aug 04, 2005, 11:54pm
Official Forum Member

If you want to do Middle School games, I bet ya no one is going to tell you no.

Old Fri Aug 05, 2005, 09:40am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by KingTripleJump
If you want to do Middle School games, I bet ya no one is going to tell you no.

Well, I'm looking for experience. I assume by the tone of your statement that it's not hard to get games at middle school games. I suspect it's not the greatest place to hone yourself when you are looking to get to varsity some day. Do you think it may actually hurt more than help in some cases?

I'm confident the assignor will get me some sub-varsity games but I'm not sure how many and I'd like to stay busy. I should find out soon as girls (still) play in the Fall here in Michigan.

Thanks for all the suggestions...
Old Fri Aug 05, 2005, 12:02pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
I suspect it's not the greatest place to hone yourself when you are looking to get to varsity some day. Do you think it may actually hurt more than help in some cases?
Rizzo, almost everybody starts with these kinds of games. You get out of them what you put in. If you go into the games simply to get paid and get out, then you will develop bad habits and you will never improve your judgment.

On the other hand, if you work on your mechanics, if you insist on switching after every foul, if you work on improving one thing each game, then middle school games are a great place to improve without the pressure of HS games.

Go out, work hard, see plays. Good luck this fall.
Old Sat Aug 06, 2005, 03:49pm
Statistician/Ref Hybrid

I think in my area (south of da Yoopers ), Middle Schools often have their own AD. Hoever, I also believe that some districts have the HS or Districtwide AD handle middle school game logisitics.

Probably best to check with your HS assignor to see.

If you are new and anxious to move up the ranks, just remeber the advice of previous posters and to hustle from the opening tap to the final buzzer. Coaches will always like to complain about calls, but some of them will appreciate an official who hustles and conducts him or herself as if they know what they are doing out there.

Good luck this season.

The center of attention as the lead & trail. – me
Games officiated: 525 Basketball · 76 Softball · 16 Baseball
Old Sat Aug 06, 2005, 05:05pm
Official Forum Member

Every game is important to someone. Take the middle school games, do the best you can, make some friends and enjoy yourself. Go for it.
Old Mon Aug 08, 2005, 08:59am
Official Forum Member

Okay, thanks for all the advice. Got my availability schedule worked out and we'll see what I get for freshman and JV games. If I don't get too many, I'll look into getting some middle school games as well.
Old Mon Aug 08, 2005, 09:22am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Okay, thanks for all the advice. Got my availability schedule worked out and we'll see what I get for freshman and JV games. If I don't get too many, I'll look into getting some middle school games as well.
It's already been said but every game is important to someone and everyone has to start somewhere. You can watch all the games and read all the books but nothing will take the place of on court experience. Working middle school games is extremely helpful in gaining that experience. In fact, I think you gain alot of experience when you work teams that are not very good, don't move their feet on defense, and foul alot. You get to practice more mechanics and calls. These type games are alot harder to work than 2 athletic teams that play good defense and shoot the ball well. When trying to gain experience, don't be to choosy.