The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jan 19, 2007, 03:24am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimTaylor
I'm with Rich & Snaq on this one - flagrant T & he can do any further coaching from the parking lot. I don't care if the coaches/players/officials are white, black, green, or purple with pink polka dots, There's absolutely no excuse for this kind of thing...send him packing!
Yup....automatic. Gotta be reported too.
Old Fri Jan 19, 2007, 07:30am
Huck Finn

The email was sent to the assigner last night although he was at the game.
Old Fri Jan 19, 2007, 07:45am
Official Forum Member

I usually ignore fans, but I had an elderly gentleman in the second row accuse me of racism on a travel call ! I had him removed. I have the return game Saturday at their place. Boy is he going to be surprised!
Old Fri Jan 19, 2007, 09:04am
Official Forum Member

I dont stand for that kind of stuff in any way shape or form. Was doing an AAU tournament once and a coach made a similar comment about my partner who is black. He used the N word.

Flagerant T, ejection, called game management over and refused to start the game back up until he was removed from the building completely.

There is no place for that kind of crap!
Old Fri Jan 19, 2007, 09:26am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomegun
I just emailed my assigner and asked him to take me out of the game when I have this team again. It just isn't any fun doing their games and not worth the money.

Has anything like this happened to anyone else?
Tom, reporting this your assignor is the right move. And in hindsight, calling a flagrant 'T' may or may not have been the more appropriate punishment.

However, don't allow this situation nor this coach's ignorance cause you to pull yourself from his games. Take those games like you would any other and call the game the way you always call games and deal with that coach's behavior and comments in the appropriate manner.

Can't let coaches run off good officials. If enough strong officials deal with this coach on a consistent, no bullsh!t allowed, basis, either he or his AD or his school administration will get the message.
Old Fri Jan 19, 2007, 09:28am
Official Forum Member

Yes - I had 2 7/8 grade boys games last night and the administration was terrible. They never checked on us between halves or games, never asked if we needed anything (i.e. water) and after the end of the games, didn't even bother to thank us. I don't ask for a lot, but a little courtesy goes a long way. My partner and I felt very unwelcome.
Old Fri Jan 19, 2007, 09:36am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjbofficial
Yes - I had 2 7/8 grade boys games last night and the administration was terrible. They never checked on us between halves or games, never asked if we needed anything (i.e. water) and after the end of the games, didn't even bother to thank us. I don't ask for a lot, but a little courtesy goes a long way. My partner and I felt very unwelcome.
Be careful here, mjbofficial. What you experienced very possibly had nothing to do with your race and may simply have everything to do with poor game administration. Middle schools, at least in places where I have lived, are not really known for wonderful game administration. You may not have felt as "welcomed" as you'd like, but it may have more to do with a lack of volunteers or professionalism than your race (since you posted this in this particular thread, that's the implication I took).
Old Fri Jan 19, 2007, 09:40am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgtg19
Be careful here, mjbofficial. What you experienced very possibly had nothing to do with your race and may simply have everything to do with poor game administration. Middle schools, at least in places where I have lived, are not really known for wonderful game administration. You may not have felt as "welcomed" as you'd like, but it may have more to do with a lack of volunteers or professionalism than your race (since you posted this in this particular thread, that's the implication I took).
No, race was not a factor. My partner and I worked a JV game the night before and I made a huge charge call against the home team with ~ 1 min. left in the game and they obviously didn't agree. Tonight, they disagreed w/a few calls that my partner made in the first half of the first game and we think they just weren't happy with the calls (even though they were up by 15). Also, I have worked at the school 2 other times this season and have not had any problems with hospitality.

It's not a huge deal, just more annoying than anything else. Working 2 games and not being offered any water bothered me. We finally grapped a cup from the bench during a TO in the 2nd game.
Old Fri Jan 19, 2007, 10:18am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
No, race was not a factor. My partner and I worked a JV game the night before and I made a huge charge call against the home team with ~ 1 min. left in the game and they obviously didn't agree. Tonight, they disagreed w/a few calls that my partner made in the first half of the first game and we think they just weren't happy with the calls (even though they were up by 15). Also, I have worked at the school 2 other times this season and have not had any problems with hospitality.

It's not a huge deal, just more annoying than anything else. Working 2 games and not being offered any water bothered me. We finally grapped a cup from the bench during a TO in the 2nd game.
Game management at the middle school level is often a bare minimum. Get used to it. As you move up, you get treated better. I had a long night Tuesday night. We were working one of only 4 1A varsity nights on our schedule this year. One team had some basketball players, the other had a lot of athletes, but not skilled basketball players. The fans were horrible (I had the AD talk to one guy). The coaches were OK, but left some to be desired. The quality of play was awful, and of course since it was a smaller school the check was a little smaller than usual as well. Everyone has these long nights on occasion. It's part of the job.
Old Fri Jan 19, 2007, 10:19am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Working 2 games and not being offered any water bothered me. We finally grapped a cup from the bench during a TO in the 2nd game.
If they give you water or Gatorade, fine, but realize that they're trying to curry favor with you, and they expect you to reciprocate in some way. Unless you are friendly with game management, I would advise supplying your own refreshments, even if they offer. There should never be any appearance of undue influence.
Old Fri Jan 19, 2007, 10:42am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
If they give you water or Gatorade, fine, but realize that they're trying to curry favor with you, and they expect you to reciprocate in some way. Unless you are friendly with game management, I would advise supplying your own refreshments, even if they offer. There should never be any appearance of undue influence.
OH GOOD LORD!!!!!!!

WHAT HAPPENED TO COMMON COURTESY IN THIS WORLD??? DOES EVERY ACTION HAVE TO HAVE SOME NEFARIOUS MEANING BEHIND IT??????? Its common practice here in Ohio that the host school provide at least water for the officials. We don't consider it a bribe. We consider it professionalism on the part of the AD and his staff.
Old Fri Jan 19, 2007, 11:00am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ignats75
We don't consider it a bribe. We consider it professionalism on the part of the AD and his staff.
See! It's working already.

It's not a big deal, but there's a reason cops aren't allowed to take free donuts, and it doesn't have to do with their waistline. It's certainly not something you should take for granted or something that you should consider a slight if you don't get.
Old Fri Jan 19, 2007, 11:04am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ignats75
OH GOOD LORD!!!!!!!

WHAT HAPPENED TO COMMON COURTESY IN THIS WORLD??? DOES EVERY ACTION HAVE TO HAVE SOME NEFARIOUS MEANING BEHIND IT??????? Its common practice here in Ohio that the host school provide at least water for the officials. We don't consider it a bribe. We consider it professionalism on the part of the AD and his staff.
In Ohio, you must be talking about jv/varsity because middle schools games have never offered water to us. No big deal as there is always a drinking fountain within, say 50 ft, and with 6 min quarters, just go get a drink between them--or carry a bottle like I do. As the game progresses, I cant imagine the "AD" asking me during the 4 min halftime how I'm doing....
Old Fri Jan 19, 2007, 11:09am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
See! It's working already.
Huh? I expect to be treated with courtesy in my real job by my boss. I expect to be treated with courtesy by the waitress that serves me my food. SHe expects me to treat her courteously as well, as she should. I expect the UPS guy to deliver stuff to my company to behave with courtesy. I expect the police officer that stops my son for speeding to treat him courteously but with professionalism.

Its not some sort of conspiracy that causes me to call that foul in the fourth quarter on the visiting team center. School A gives us Gatorade. School B gives us water. We don't call more fouls on B when they are visiting A because of it. The AD doesn't give us the water to get that call. He does it out of courtesy.

That's the whole problem with our society any more. Everything has some subterfuge in it. Or if it doesn't, Oliver Stone will do a movie about the conspiracy anyway.
Old Fri Jan 19, 2007, 11:24am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimgolf
Oh c'mon. I am extremely friendly and polite with game management....ALWAYS. It really isn't too much to ask for them to provide a bottle of water. That's not exactly undue influence.