The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jan 18, 2007, 11:48pm
Huck Finn

Ever do a game that is no fun?

I had a game tonight with a boy's program that is out of control. This coach has already caused the assigner to move several officials. My partner, who is white, called a foul for this team and the coach was upset because my partner called a non-shooting foul instead of a shooting foul. Yeah, he got the foul, just not the one he wanted. I'm table side, since we don't go tableside when we call fouls, and he says, "See that ref, that is just racist." The other team had a white head coach and two assistants. All of the kids on both teams were black. That was enough for me and I gave him what he earned. I don't think there is any place for this in high school sports. Besides all that, my partner has different nationalities in his family.

I just emailed my assigner and asked him to take me out of the game when I have this team again. It just isn't any fun doing their games and not worth the money.

Has anything like this happened to anyone else?
Old Thu Jan 18, 2007, 11:50pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomegun
I had a game tonight with a boy's program that is out of control. This coach has already caused the assigner to move several officials. My partner, who is white, called a foul for this team and the coach was upset because my partner called a non-shooting foul instead of a shooting foul. Yeah, he got the foul, just not the one he wanted. I'm table side, since we don't go tableside when we call fouls, and he says, "See that ref, that is just racist." The other team had a white head coach and two assistants. All of the kids on both teams were black. That was enough for me and I gave him what he earned. I don't think there is any place for this in high school sports. Besides all that, my partner has different nationalities in his family.

I just emailed my assigner and asked him to take me out of the game when I have this team again. It just isn't any fun doing their games and not worth the money.

Has anything like this happened to anyone else?
I hope what he earned was a flagrant technical.
Old Thu Jan 18, 2007, 11:55pm
Official Forum Member

Do the kids (current and future) a favor and send a note to your President, state association or school principle. Heck - even the school Board.

If this was my kids school I would really appreciate it.

Needs to be addressed.
Old Thu Jan 18, 2007, 11:56pm
Huck Finn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Fronheiser
I just gave him a technical and now I'm pissed. Its like this with me: if anyone thinks something like that should be a flagrant technical, I'm all for it. I didn't consider it; this is actually a first for me. If there is ever another time when I hear something like this I will add the flagrant to the T. I don't have any problem with that at all.

Additionally, I had to call an intentional foul in the first minute of the game. A player made contact with the inbounder. Another first for me.
Old Thu Jan 18, 2007, 11:58pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Fronheiser
I agree. Looks like this guy needs to be dealt with differently than moving officials around. If enough officials (ie, your association) decide to deal with this appropriately, then it'll stop or he'll be finding himself a new coaching gig.
Old Thu Jan 18, 2007, 11:59pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
I worked a juco game where I and a player were the only 2 white people in the gym (maybe the only 2 white people in a half mile radius). My partner called a foul on the white player and as we were lining up for FTs the white player mumbled that he knows I would have never called that foul on him. I didn't T him but I let him know he better not come to me with that sh1t again. He avoided me the rest of the game.

Turned out to be a great game btw.

Never experienced anyone bringing that sh1t to me in such a blatant way though. Good T.
Old Fri Jan 19, 2007, 12:02am
Huck Finn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ref Daddy
Do the kids (current and future) a favor and send a note to your President, state association or school principle. Heck - even the school Board.

If this was my kids school I would really appreciate it.

Needs to be addressed.
OK, you just made me pause Shark.

My assigner and president were at the game and the assigner left before the game was over. I think he should have game into the "locker" room with us. This coach's (he was the visitor) AD was at the game too. This coach has a problem with all kinds of officials. One more thing. These two schools are not in the same district. This is a historic rivalry and this is the first year they have played in a while. The coaches do not like each other. They almost got into a fist fight last summer at the local high school camp. They also got into an argument during the last five seconds of overtime in the first meeting this year. My partner (the supposed racist) gave them both a T. The administrators of these two schools made the coaches play this game. The coaches wouldn't have played them otherwise.I say all this to say, everyone knows about this coach.
Old Fri Jan 19, 2007, 12:06am
Huck Finn

This whole situation was just so stupid to me. This was the second half of the game and there was absolutely nothing that would indicate an ounce of racism. BTW, this coach's team won the first meeting at home in overtime. Tonight they lost by about 10. He has superior talent, but he doesn't maximize it.
Old Fri Jan 19, 2007, 12:28am
Official Forum Member

I don't think I would have given a flagrant technical for the one remark listed, though I won't say it would be wrong. I would likely, however, file a written report with the state association for severe verbal abuse, especially if stuff like that had gone on constantly through the game.
Old Fri Jan 19, 2007, 01:14am
Official Forum Member

You just gave him a T and all he had to do for the rest of the game was have a seltbelt for the rest of the game. He would hear about this game in the locker room or outside or maybe in the newspaper.
Old Fri Jan 19, 2007, 01:30am
Official Forum Member

Forget flagrant t, you shoulda stop signed him...that woulda taken care of it.
Old Fri Jan 19, 2007, 01:35am
Official Forum Member

I'm with Rich & Snaq on this one - flagrant T & he can do any further coaching from the parking lot. I don't care if the coaches/players/officials are white, black, green, or purple with pink polka dots, There's absolutely no excuse for this kind of thing...send him packing!
Old Fri Jan 19, 2007, 02:16am
Do not give a damn!!

Yep.

Welcome to my world.

Peace
Old Fri Jan 19, 2007, 02:20am
Official Forum Member

I was doing some varsity ball at the local Air Force base, with my high school partner at the time, during the annual base tournament...service teams, local JUCO, local mens league teams, and the JV team from the Air Force Academy.

In one game I was the only white guy on the floor, I called a foul and as I'm reporting I hear an emphatic whistle behind me, my partner had just tossed the guy I called a foul on.

The player said, "F'ing white ref, that's BS."

My partner said, "Well it's the black ref who is throwing you out of the game."

So yeah, I think anytime a player or coach goes there, a flagrant is justified.
Old Fri Jan 19, 2007, 02:33am
Official Forum Member

Well, I guess the only color officials see is our black and white stripes