The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jan 17, 2007, 02:53pm
Esteemed Participant

So the coach was an a$$...that doesn't mean that we as officials get to be a$$es too...T the coach and then stay away from him/her. There is NO reason for that official to have gone over there and made those types of comments - and A Penn. Coach has been posting here long enough for me to take what he says at face value...like it or not, we are held to a higher standard than coaches - at least as far as what we can say during games. If I don't like what the coach is saying/doing, I can deal with it in the proper way - this official chose to handle it in a totally improper way!
Old Wed Jan 17, 2007, 02:56pm
Official Forum Member

Very unprofessional on the part of the official. Of course, it's nothing most of us haven't wanted to say and do at one time or another.

I've always wondered at the dichotomy in such situations. I've experienced both coaches and players who genuinely felt they could say anything they wanted, minus a few "magic words" or phrases; but if I said something out of line in return, they were on me like white on rice. "You can't say that!" "You can't do that!" "I'm telling your supervisor" blah blah blah. Suddenly I am the a-hole and they are the guiltless, offended party. What's up with that?

Penn Coach, I've been reading your posts for a long time, and I respect you. I don't condone what this person (appears to have) said. But you have to admit, many coaches certainly deserve to be talked back to the way this opposing coach was.
Old Wed Jan 17, 2007, 03:13pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyroad
So the coach was an a$$...that doesn't mean that we as officials get to be a$$es too...T the coach and then stay away from him/her. There is NO reason for that official to have gone over there and made those types of comments - and A Penn. Coach has been posting here long enough for me to take what he says at face value...like it or not, we are held to a higher standard than coaches - at least as far as what we can say during games. If I don't like what the coach is saying/doing, I can deal with it in the proper way - this official chose to handle it in a totally improper way!
Who are you arguing with? I can't find any post in this thread that suggests otherwise.
Old Wed Jan 17, 2007, 03:22pm
Official Forum Member

PA coach: did you by any chance post this on a coaches forum highlighting the behavior of the coach(es)?

Just wondering.
Old Wed Jan 17, 2007, 03:26pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Aggie
PA coach: did you by any chance post this on a coaches forum highlighting the behavior of the coach(es)?

Just wondering.
I would guess not, Texas Aggie.
I think Pa Coach likes us more better.
He merely made an actual observation and he shared it.
Old Wed Jan 17, 2007, 03:32pm
Official Forum Member

why are we responding to this? some coach comes on the OFFICIALSFORUM and starts telling us some bogus story?

doesnt ask a question or anything and we are all responding to it saying how bad the comments are. who cares? let the school, the state or the officials that worked the game deal with it!!!!!

There was no question asked and a one sided story given, dont respond to this. Then again, just like every other thread, there has to be someone in there that hijacks it with a "similiar" war story involving the time they teched a varsity coach during a JV game or some other crap.

some people are absurd.
Old Wed Jan 17, 2007, 03:33pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I'm going to turn to the bench, pick a player, and tell him to go check himself into the game. Then, when the coach asks me why I've done this, I'm gonna say that since he was tryint to referee, I thought I'd try coaching for a little bit
That is so funny. I'm going to use it next time on the court. That will get some laughs.. I love that comment.
Old Wed Jan 17, 2007, 03:37pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangeump
why are we responding to this? some coach comes on the OFFICIALSFORUM and starts telling us some bogus story?

doesnt ask a question or anything and we are all responding to it saying how bad the comments are. who cares? let the school, the state or the officials that worked the game deal with it!!!!!

There was no question asked and a one sided story given, dont respond to this. Then again, just like every other thread, there has to be someone in there that hijacks it with a "similiar" war story involving the time they teched a varsity coach during a JV game or some other crap.

some people are absurd.
Easy there, orangeump.
PA Coach is quite welcome here.
Old Wed Jan 17, 2007, 03:38pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I'll assume you're rather new here and just let you in on the fact that PA Coach has been here a long time, and is pretty well respected. His posts have been overwhelmingly intelligent, balanced, and often bring a different perspective to our conversations. He also generally posts with the intent of finding real, accurate answers to his questions. If this were just some random troll, I'd agree with you. But this is no troll.

Quote:
some people are absurd.
Yep. Can't argue with you there
Old Wed Jan 17, 2007, 03:42pm
Huck Finn

Quote:

some people are absurd.
Pump your brakes! Penn. Coach has been here longer and participated more than you. I think most here will believe this story.
Old Wed Jan 17, 2007, 03:53pm
Official Forum Member

I wonder why the coach didn't give the official the "stop" sign?
Old Wed Jan 17, 2007, 03:59pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Pennsylvania Coach
What exactly is my reaction that you are saying is over the top? I did nothing last night--it was the opposing team. Are you saying my posting this today and calling it "the worst I've ever seen" is over the top? Because that is my opinion.

Maybe we just have really good officials here. I can't recall ever seeing or hearing an official make things personal. Maybe that is "hooray for the officials in the other 750 games I've coached" or "boo for this guy"; either way.
Coach,

I agreed the official's actions were inappropriate.

However, if that is truly the worst thing you have ever seen an offical do on the court, you have been blessed.

Now, I eagerly await for the time you come and complain about a coach telling an official "You can't ref."
Old Wed Jan 17, 2007, 03:59pm
Huck Finn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junker
I wonder why the coach didn't give the official the "stop" sign?
Oh Puhlease!
Old Wed Jan 17, 2007, 04:15pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Pennsylvania Coach

But that piece of officiating was the worst I've ever seen.
If there ever was any doubt that you are truly a coach, PC...that statement pretty much solidifies it!
Richland, WA
Old Wed Jan 17, 2007, 04:19pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomegun
Oh Puhlease!
Somebody had to ask.
Closed Thread