The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jan 16, 2007, 09:54pm
Official Forum Member

would you "t" a coach for saying...

I had this happen tonight in JV boys game. Home team player A1 dribbles in to lane on a fast break, opposite defender on lowblock comes over and stands somewhat under basket... A1 charges into him... I call the charge and then the home coach tells me that " a varsity official would not call that"... I respond that I will call that tonight since its a charge".... Here in KY there are separate rating systems and I am on the bubble on boys varsity side but full varsity on girls.... and he knows that.... I don't "t" him because I know he is working me... what does everyone think?
Old Tue Jan 16, 2007, 09:55pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

"A varsity player wouldn't have done that."
Old Tue Jan 16, 2007, 09:58pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
A varsity coach wouldn't have said that.
Old Tue Jan 16, 2007, 10:01pm
Do not give a damn!!

I do not like to say I would T anyone for one comment. The comment is kind of personal, but I do not know I would be offended. I might have a comeback, but it would likely take a lot more than just this comment alone.

Peace
Old Tue Jan 16, 2007, 10:09pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Thumbs down

"Really, coach? Which official do you mean? Tell me his name so I can report him for being incompetent."
Old Tue Jan 16, 2007, 10:14pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
If not calling a T is eating at you, I think you know the answer already.
Old Tue Jan 16, 2007, 10:15pm
Official Forum Member

Seem's you answered what I would want to assess .... you seem to know the coach and know he was "working you".

Personally I would say it is demeaning and my guard would be up - if not the ol' STOP sign.
Old Tue Jan 16, 2007, 10:30pm
Official Forum Member

VB home team up by 7, other team foul, both teams in double bonus. We go to shoot freethrows, home team coach asks for a intentational foul, I told him the foul I called was a hand check since the visting was fouling to stop the clock. He ask me isnt that what the rule book says that if a player grabs isnt that intentational.I said coach the foul I called was not the foul that he wanted. He turned and told his assistance, "thats alright he's missed the entire game anyway ". Iasked him Coach would you care to repeat yourself". He did not say anything. Does this situation call for A Tech because I heard wht he said That was his 1st comment to me up that point that was negative he just question calls all night
Old Tue Jan 16, 2007, 10:39pm
Official Forum Member

"T"ing the coach

Well, My goal for this year was not to give any of my precious "T"s away, but 2 weeks ago, I had to let a few go. Three to be exact....It's a fairly long story, but fun if you have the time.

This is my 7th year refereeing. I coached for 11 years...So I think I am more understanding of what a coach goes through on the side line, than some officials.

History, I "T"ed this coach up 2 years ago. I have been doing his games for 5 years. I get about 3 or 4 of his teams games a year. I have tried to avoid it as much as possible "T"ing him up again. He pushes all the referees every game.

Early in the game, he was out of the coaches box and I told him to get back in the box. He did. Later, he was out of the box again ( on the floor ) and I told him to get back in the box. He laughed at me. I had enough of him being a smart A$$ and I "T" him up. He asks why and As I am reporting to the table, I tell him he has lost the use of his box and must remain seated., Shoot 2 free throws and bring the ball in opposit the table...his team rebounds the ball and brings the ball down court..where he is on his knees in the coaches box...BANG "T" " Coach you are gone" Again, he knew what he was doing, he was pushing my buttons and I pushed back.

First time in 7 years that I have every ejected a coach. Next night, a different coach is out of the box and I tell him, coach stay in the box....next time down the floor, he has both feet beyond the side line on the floor "T", I warned him and I wasn't going to go through it over and over. He remained seated the rest of the night...BTW, the "T" came in less than 2 minutes into the game...I did have a trigger finger....But that is behind me and no "T"s in my last 15 games!
Old Tue Jan 16, 2007, 10:48pm
Official Forum Member

Well this is kind of similar that happend last night. I had a fast break and a-1 does this shoulder dive on a planted b1. Charge. Coach says that is not a charge because he didn't "fall" down. I told him that he can't go and charge into somebody like he is a running back.
Old Tue Jan 16, 2007, 10:59pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by budjones05
Well this is kind of similar that happend last night. I had a fast break and a-1 does this shoulder dive on a planted b1. Charge. Coach says that is not a charge because he didn't "fall" down. I told him that he can't go and charge into somebody like he is a running back.

With all due respect, this comment is not at all similar to the other comments in this thread.
Old Tue Jan 16, 2007, 11:04pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
Quote:
Originally Posted by swvaref
VB home team up by 7, other team foul, both teams in double bonus. We go to shoot freethrows, home team coach asks for a intentational foul, I told him the foul I called was a hand check since the visting was fouling to stop the clock. He ask me isnt that what the rule book says that if a player grabs isnt that intentational.I said coach the foul I called was not the foul that he wanted. He turned and told his assistance, "thats alright he's missed the entire game anyway ". I asked him Coach would you care to repeat yourself." He did not say anything. Does this situation call for A Tech because I heard wht he said That was his 1st comment to me up that point that was negative he just question calls all night
Old Tue Jan 16, 2007, 11:23pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisSportsFan
With all due respect, this comment is not at all similar to the other comments in this thread.
I stand corrected
Old Wed Jan 17, 2007, 12:01am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to swkansasref33
Quote:
Originally Posted by 26 Year Gap
thats a nice one!
Old Wed Jan 17, 2007, 12:01am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I might have a comeback
I wouldn't. Not to that comment, at least. He wants you to say something so he can go off on you. Just say, "OK", and move on. Chances are he won't say another word and will get pissed (mostly at himself) because you weren't baited into a fight.

Guys, take my word for it, the letters O followed by K does wonders. You obviously have other tools at your disposal, but if it isn't a question, why respond?