Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jan 17, 2007, 04:21pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangeump
why are we responding to this? some coach comes on the OFFICIALSFORUM and starts telling us some bogus story?

doesnt ask a question or anything and we are all responding to it saying how bad the comments are. who cares? let the school, the state or the officials that worked the game deal with it!!!!!

There was no question asked and a one sided story given, dont respond to this. Then again, just like every other thread, there has to be someone in there that hijacks it with a "similiar" war story involving the time they teched a varsity coach during a JV game or some other crap.

some people are absurd.
Yes, they are.

It was a legitimate question- and observations- from the coach. You don't have to agree with him, but you also don't have the right to tell him or any one else how to post, including hijackers. That's the mods' job.
Old Wed Jan 17, 2007, 04:26pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyroad
So the coach was an a$$...that doesn't mean that we as officials get to be a$$es too...T the coach and then stay away from him/her. There is NO reason for that official to have gone over there and made those types of comments - and A Penn. Coach has been posting here long enough for me to take what he says at face value...like it or not, we are held to a higher standard than coaches - at least as far as what we can say during games. If I don't like what the coach is saying/doing, I can deal with it in the proper way - this official chose to handle it in a totally improper way!
I agree with you about the official, but I do not have to like the double standard. Should officials not say things like this? Of course they should not. But I will say I am a little tired of all the complaining about what officials do and coaches are allowed to call us everything short of a child of God and we as officials are always suppose to sit back and do nothing.

Also this is not about for me how long Penn. Coach has been here or how liked he is. If he is so concerned about the professionalism of the official, he should be more offended by the behavior of the coach who did not have to say anything to this official. If you say or do certain things, you will get responses that may or may not be right as it relates to professionalism, but are to be expected. Like Chris Rock said, "I might not agree...but I understand."

Peace
Old Wed Jan 17, 2007, 04:44pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge
nothing.

Also this is not about for me how long Penn. Coach has been here or how liked he is. If he is so concerned about the professionalism of the official, he should be more offended by the behavior of the coach who did not have to say anything to this official.
Agree. Two wrongs don't make a right.

And neither of those is really any different than a coach "getting his comments out" either imo. If a coach wants to ask a question about a call, play, etc. in a civil manner, fine. He should receive an answer, and be shown the same respect while doing so. If a coach wants to comment on the officiating however, then he's got no complaint at all if he gets his yappy butt "T"d up. It's NO different than an official commenting on the coach. Neither should be done.

Last edited by Jurassic Referee; Wed Jan 17, 2007 at 04:53pm.
Old Wed Jan 17, 2007, 04:46pm
Official Forum Member

A tough situation that got entirely out of hand. I bet all party's could play the game tape backwards and find the roots of this dialogue that made both coach and referee look less than professional in the eyes of the players and fans.

This makes me further appreciate my ability to call a "T" on a coach that is effecting my ability to call the best game I can - BEFORE it grows nasty.

Sorry PA Coach - if the offending referee is any good at all - I'm certian that (s)he regrets the outcome.
Old Wed Jan 17, 2007, 04:56pm
Official Forum Member

When I first started officiating I had a veteran official tell me to treat most coaches like I would one of my kids. Not out of disrespect. Keep a calm voice, administer any penelty ( T or other foul ), try and bring them to your level, not raise to thier level. Walk away if you have to. Most coaches will respect you for your professionalism in the end. Don't take anything personally. Sometimes it's hard, but in the end it's 99% worth it. This is suppose to fun for us too!

-General George S. Patton, Jr.
Old Wed Jan 17, 2007, 05:17pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by j51969
When I first started officiating I had a veteran official tell me to treat most coaches like I would one of my kids.
Does this mean that you don't wear beltless pants?
Richland, WA
Old Wed Jan 17, 2007, 05:21pm
Official Forum Member

beltless for just that reason. I've only had to put one coach over my knee

Old Wed Jan 17, 2007, 05:22pm
Official Forum Member

And I think she like it!

Old Wed Jan 17, 2007, 05:24pm
Official Forum Member

There are coaches that don't know what the heck they are doing and don't know when to quit. There are similar officials. I've encountered more rude coaches than refs in my career, but that doesn't mean I haven't seen any. And as others have pointed out, there is indeed a dichotomy. For example, if someone had posted that "A coach said that a ref called the worst game ever," none of us would bat an eyelash. But when it's reversed, it's headline news.
Old Wed Jan 17, 2007, 06:32pm
Official Forum Member

For conversation sake.......why is it the officials job to make sure good "game management" takes place? Seems to me, almost all bad "game management" scenerios happen because a coach acts like an a$$.

I love how a coach will ride an official, make personal statements, and then complain about getting T'd, stared at, or stop-signed (which I don't do).
Old Wed Jan 17, 2007, 06:41pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge
I agree with you about the official, but I do not have to like the double standard. Should officials not say things like this? Of course they should not. But I will say I am a little tired of all the complaining about what officials do and coaches are allowed to call us everything short of a child of God and we as officials are always suppose to sit back and do nothing.

Also this is not about for me how long Penn. Coach has been here or how liked he is. If he is so concerned about the professionalism of the official, he should be more offended by the behavior of the coach who did not have to say anything to this official. If you say or do certain things, you will get responses that may or may not be right as it relates to professionalism, but are to be expected. Like Chris Rock said, "I might not agree...but I understand."

Peace
There is absolutely a double standard. I don't think it is right or fair. It does exist without a doubt. Somehow over the years it has become okay for coaches to get away from their role as teacher and become advocate. It is understandable that coaches are going to make unnecessary comments from time to time--they have an investment in the outcome of the game while the officials do not. It doesn't make it right, and I'm certainly not defending the actions of the coaches. Who says I wasn't offended by the actions of the coaches? I just didn't focus on that because this is an officials' forum.

If I were to rank the actions of this official among the actions of all adults' actions I've seen at basketball games, it wouldn't be #1--not even in the top 1000--but it is the poorest thing I've ever heard an official say. That's why I thought it would be of interest to this forum. For those of you who got that, cool. For those of you who didn't, that's cool too. No need to rip me or my integrity (orangeump).
Old Wed Jan 17, 2007, 06:52pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Pennsylvania Coach
It is understandable that coaches are going to make unnecessary comments from time to time--they have an investment in the outcome of the game while the officials do not.
Having an investment in the outcome does not justify bad behavior, sorry. I work with varsity coaches who display exemplary behavior dispite having an investment in the outcome.

Bad behavior is evidence of poor attitude, poor sportsmanship, insecurity or ignorance; it does not just "come with the job."

Secondly, while officials do not have an investment in the results, we do have a legitimate interest in the performance. Better played games are, most often, better officiated. Poorly coached games can really cause officials grief. The difference, however, is that, unlike coaches, we have to keep this to ourselves.
Old Wed Jan 17, 2007, 07:19pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Pennsylvania Coach
It is understandable that coaches are going to make unnecessary comments from time to time--they have an investment in the outcome of the game while the officials do not. It doesn't make it right, and I'm certainly not defending the actions of the coaches.

And it must be equally understandable then that officials are going to make unecessary comments from time to time also. They are just reacting to the coaches who are making those unecessay comments. That makes both sides wrong and their actions indefensible, no matter how anyone may try to rationalize the behavior of either party.

A good example would be your Frosh coach "getting his comments out".
Old Wed Jan 17, 2007, 07:33pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ref Daddy
A tough situation that got entirely out of hand. I bet all party's could play the game tape backwards and find the roots of this dialogue that made both coach and referee look less than professional in the eyes of the players and fans.

This makes me further appreciate my ability to call a "T" on a coach that is effecting my ability to call the best game I can - BEFORE it grows nasty.

Sorry PA Coach - if the offending referee is any good at all - I'm certian that (s)he regrets the outcome.
p-a-r-t-i-e-s
Old Wed Jan 17, 2007, 07:35pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
And it must be equally understandable then that officials are going to make unecessary comments from time to time also. They are just reacting to the coaches who are making those unecessay comments. That makes both sides wrong and their actions indefensible, no matter how anyone may try to rationalize the behavior of either party.

A good example would be your Frosh coach "getting his comments out".
out."

The quotation marks should FOLLOW the period, not preced it.
Closed Thread