Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mplagrow
Preventatively officiate?
Preventively officiate?
Old Tue Jan 16, 2007, 01:49pm
Official Forum Member

Rich,

I'll tell that quote to the assignor for one of my leagues who is also a rules interpretor for the OHSAA....and then look for another league to replace those games on my schedule.

As for your first question, not the same thing...deadball v liveball.

Obviously, you and I have different philosophies. To imply that I am a poor official is laughable since you have never seen me work or talked to anyone who has. I get the impression on here that some people like to officiate as if they are some badazz cop or something. Not my style. Sorry.
Old Tue Jan 16, 2007, 01:53pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ignats75
Rich,

I'll tell that quote to the assignor for one of my leagues who is also a rules interpretor for the OHSAA....and then look for another league to replace those games on my schedule.
I don't want to jump between you 2 guys and take sides but if you think your best games are when you aren't noticed then you're mistaken IMO.

If you're not willing to be noticed in a big way as an official then you are not going to advance.
Old Tue Jan 16, 2007, 01:59pm
MABO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corndog89
Boiseball, you should rejoice in the fact that a player rescued you from what would have obviously been such a painful overtime...take small victories when and where you can get them
Now this sounds like something OldSchool would say.....

All references/comments are intended for educational purposes. Opinions are free.
Old Tue Jan 16, 2007, 02:31pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ignats75
Rich,

As for your first question, not the same thing...deadball v liveball.

Obviously, you and I have different philosophies. To imply that I am a poor official is laughable since you have never seen me work or talked to anyone who has. I get the impression on here that some people like to officiate as if they are some badazz cop or something. Not my style. Sorry.
To imply I am lazy because I refuse to point out an endline is equally laughable. Amazing you don't see that.
Old Tue Jan 16, 2007, 02:57pm
Huck Finn

Ignats75, it sounds like some preventative coaching instead of officiating to me. What if:

1. A coach and/or player hears you instruct a defender on what not to do on this play. The coach could proceed to blow up and say something like, "It is your job to officiate, it isn't your job to coach, you helped that player!!!!!!" or something along those lines.
2. You say nothing, the player touches the ball out of bounds (in the inbounder's hands) and you call a T.

In situation #1 you have no rule to hang your hat on; in the second situation you have a rule to back you up. It doesn't matter who your assigner is, if he/she doesn't understand that you have a problem. Keep in mind, I don't think you should do or say something off of the court that will hurt your assignments, but you should attempt to have enough knowledge to know that although that assigner is in the position of power does not make everything they say the gospel.
Old Tue Jan 16, 2007, 05:15pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hartsy
What's wrong with preventive, Mr. Annoying Grammar Guy? I'm more annoyed by prevent-A-tive.

Oh, yeah. About the basketball part. Sounds like an easy T to me, even if you hadn't said anything before the throw in.
She used it as an adverb. Preventive is an adjective.