The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jan 16, 2007, 11:29am
Official Forum Member

Gonzaga/St. Mary's Ending

Anyone see it? Here's what happened:

St. Mary's is up 5, and gets a rebound with about 10 seconds to go. They get the ball up court and dump it in for a dunk. Clock stops with 1 second left, and St. Mary's now has a 7 point lead. Fans storm the court. Gonzaga players and coach head off the floor. Officials are blowing their whistles. It takes a couple minutes, but finally the PA Announcer gets everyone to clear the court. Out comes Gonzaga. Technical foul is assessed against the crowd. Gonzaga player hits both FTs. Ball is given to St. Mary's for a throw in. Clock expires. Fans rush the court again.

Why did the officials feel this was necessary? Seemed rather silly to me.
Old Tue Jan 16, 2007, 11:32am
Official Forum Member

Shouldn't the ball have been given to the Zags for this throw-in?
Old Tue Jan 16, 2007, 11:34am
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whistles & Stripes
The game wasn't over. The ball was dead and the clock was stopped with a second left on it. The celebration delayed the resumption of the game. They had to finish the game, and they had to assess the T once the crowd delayed the game. You can't just NOT finish the game.

My only question is why St. Mary's got the ball after the T. Didn't they just score on a dunk? Gonzaga should have gotten the ball.
Old Tue Jan 16, 2007, 11:34am
Official Forum Member

Oh wait, yes, and it was, at the far end of the court.
Old Tue Jan 16, 2007, 11:35am
Official Forum Member

Why did St Mary's get the ball for the throw-in?

It would have been very interesting if the lead was 5 points before the technical free throws.

If this was a 1 point game would the officials still assess a technical foul against St Marys?
Old Tue Jan 16, 2007, 11:36am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by All_Heart
If this was a 1 point game would the officials still assess a technical foul against St Marys?
The announcers made this same point.
Old Tue Jan 16, 2007, 11:59am
Official Forum Member

SportsCenter keeps showing this clip this morning.
The NCAA put out a memo a couple of seasons ago on this. The officials followed it to the letter. I believe that what caused the memo was the FSU/Duke situation.
Old Tue Jan 16, 2007, 12:06pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:

It was necessary b/c that is what the rulebook tells the officials to do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref
SportsCenter keeps showing this clip this morning.
The NCAA put out a memo a couple of seasons ago on this. The officials followed it to the letter. I believe that what caused the memo was the FSU/Duke situation.
Which was handled correctly by-the-way.

Last edited by Raymond; Tue Jan 16, 2007 at 12:10pm.
Old Tue Jan 16, 2007, 02:16pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper1
The game wasn't over. The ball was dead and the clock was stopped with a second left on it. The celebration delayed the resumption of the game. They had to finish the game, and they had to assess the T once the crowd delayed the game. You can't just NOT finish the game.

My only question is why St. Mary's got the ball after the T. Didn't they just score on a dunk? Gonzaga should have gotten the ball.
I was thinking the Zags should throw it in and immediately call timeout. The idiot fans would probably rush the court again. 2 more FTs and a half-court three, then win in OT.
Old Tue Jan 16, 2007, 02:27pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Pennsylvania Coach
I was thinking the Zags should throw it in and immediately call timeout. The idiot fans would probably rush the court again. 2 more FTs and a half-court three, then win in OT.
Gonzaga was out of Timeouts by this time.
Old Tue Jan 16, 2007, 02:28pm
Official Forum Member

It's incidents like this that have to make you wonder what the Vegas line on this game was, and did the Technical affect anything there.
Old Tue Jan 16, 2007, 02:29pm
Official Forum Member

why was it needed to bring the team back out and finish the game?

very easy, there was still time remaining on the clock. can you imagine the beating this crew would take if SportsCenter was showing that there was time left on the clock and the officials allowed everyone to just leave the floor and go wild? I can.

The technical is pretty common procedure at that level and YES the officials would still give one to St. Mary's if it was a one point game.
Old Tue Jan 16, 2007, 02:32pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangeump
why was it needed to bring the team back out and finish the game?

very easy, there was still time remaining on the clock. can you imagine the beating this crew would take if SportsCenter was showing that there was time left on the clock and the officials allowed everyone to just leave the floor and go wild? I can.

The technical is pretty common procedure at that level and YES the officials would still give one to St. Mary's if it was a one point game.
Yes, but I also believe that if this was a 1 point game, no one would have stormed the floor early, and Gonzaga would have made a faster effort to get to the ball and throw it inbounds for a game winning try.
Old Tue Jan 16, 2007, 02:44pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Anyone see it? Here's what happened:

St. Mary's is up 5, and gets a rebound with about 10 seconds to go. They get the ball up court and dump it in for a dunk. Clock stops with 1 second left, and St. Mary's now has a 7 point lead. Fans storm the court. Gonzaga players and coach head off the floor. Officials are blowing their whistles. It takes a couple minutes, but finally the PA Announcer gets everyone to clear the court. Out comes Gonzaga. Technical foul is assessed against the crowd. Gonzaga player hits both FTs. Ball is given to St. Mary's for a throw in. Clock expires. Fans rush the court again.

Wouldn't it be something if the fans rush the court, but Gonzaga was only down by one?
Old Tue Jan 16, 2007, 02:44pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
It's incidents like this that have to make you wonder what the Vegas line on this game was, and did the Technical affect anything there.
The line did not matter. The Zags were the favorite.