The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun May 28, 2000, 02:11pm
Official Forum Member

When a shooter is taking a shot at the goal, and a defender makes contact w/ the ball 1st then the shooters hand, is this a defensive foul?
Old Sun May 28, 2000, 02:49pm
Official Forum Member

Any contact with an airborn shooter is a personal foul on the defender. The hand is only a part of the ball when the hand is actually touching the ball.You may want to use discretion as to whether the contact affected the shot.
Old Mon May 29, 2000, 03:56am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to BigDave
I'm gonna throw this out there. If I'm incorrect, feel free to wail on me...

I thought that if the defender made a clean block then made contact, there was no foul. Someone please summarize.

Be gentle...
Old Mon May 29, 2000, 04:51am
Official Forum Member

Talking

Hmm... If its a solid block and some minor contact. I hold my whistle.I won"t penalize the defense on a good play.But if its an airborn shooter and gets hammered...we"re shootin free throws.
Old Tue May 30, 2000, 12:18am
certified Hot Mom tester

Wink

quote:
Originally posted by Bart Tyson:
Somewhere i have read, this is not a foul.

It's not a foul in my driveway
Old Tue May 30, 2000, 09:22am
Official Forum Member

Somewhere i have read, this is not a foul. I don't think it matters if the ball gets blocked or not. Or if the ball is still in hand or not.
Old Tue May 30, 2000, 02:56pm
Official Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Bart Tyson:
Somewhere i have read, this is not a foul. I don't think it matters if the ball gets blocked or not. Or if the ball is still in hand or not.

Can you find that "somewhere"? In the meantime, I'll call (non-incidental) contact on an airborn shooter a foul, whether or not the shot was blocked after it left the shooter's hand(s).

Old Tue May 30, 2000, 08:10pm
Official Forum Member

By the book, if the contact was on the hand after the ball left the shooter's hand, or contact elsewhere (e.g., arm, face), it is a foul.

Now practically speaking, what level is this? How much contact? When? Where? At the varsity level the hit will have to be pretty hard on a hand/forearm or affect the shot, otherwise I hold my whistle. (I whistle every touch of the face I see, but the focus here is on the hand.) Last year in a middle school game the shooter's hand was hit at the bottom of her arc (i.e., well after the ball left), and contact was minimal. The coach was right there yelling for a foul -- I told him to get real. But at that level it does take less contact to trigger the whistle.

The key is to officiate to the level of play.
Old Tue May 30, 2000, 09:54pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs up

quote:
Originally posted by Flip:
When a shooter is taking a shot at the goal, and a defender makes contact w/ the ball 1st then the shooters hand, is this a defensive foul?

Dave Libbey says " if you hit ball then hand, you do not have a foul" unless you go through the shooter, otherwise let the defense play defense.
Old Wed May 31, 2000, 02:41am
Official Forum Member

Cool

I don't believe that is what Dave Libbey has said ...at least not at his camps.....the way I was told at his camp is that you need to see the whole thing. This is one of those calls that could be called either way and be correct each time. Like it was stated before a lot of it depends on what level you are calling. In a college game, if the contact is minor, I would most likely let it go. In high school, depending on the game who knows...if it is a ruff game, I might call the foul.