The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jan 05, 2007, 04:11pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells
A is not entitled to a successful throwin from the arrow, only the opportunity. I think the rule should be amended to change the arrow once the ball is at the disposal of the thrower. As it is, the offense is not penalized. They already got the ball due to the arrow, are you suggesting that the defense should be penalized more for kicking the ball during an AP throwin than they are during a normal throwin?
No, the defense is penalized for committing a kicked ball violation as would be in the NCAA. Team A now gets a throw in for the kicking violation. I just am seeking comsistency between the 2 sets of rules. Team A can not lose the arrow unless they violate. Why should they lose the arrow if team B violates (kicks the ball).
Old Fri Jan 05, 2007, 04:13pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally Posted by d1ref2b
No, the defense is penalized for committing a kicked ball violation as would be in the NCAA. Team A now gets a throw in for the kicking violation. I just am seeking comsistency between the 2 sets of rules. Team A can not lose the arrow unless they violate. Why should they lose the arrow if team B violates (kicks the ball).
It depends on your definition of completing a throw-in. I agree with you d1ref2b (I like that moniker, btw). but others feel that when B touches the ball whether legally or illegally, the throw-in is completed and the arrow given up. whether it is a kick or a hand touch is irrelevant in these people's eyes. That's not my opinion, btw, I'm just expressing what I"ve heard before.

And in their argurement you should also note that if B touches it with their hand, and swats it oob, they've violated by causing the ball to go out of bounds. So in that case, A loses the arrow on a B violation by your and my thinking. But that other thought process figures that the throw-in was complete when the ball was touched either legally or illegally, so A gives up the arrow.

Last edited by rainmaker; Fri Jan 05, 2007 at 04:16pm.