The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old Fri Jan 05, 2007, 09:37am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: San Antonio, Texas
Posts: 1,342
two direct technicals

I know a couple of weeks ago. It was discussed about how many technicals an official should give. For example, if an official gave the coach the first technical should they come back and give the second technical which would cause for an ejection/disqualification.

I had a situation last night in a JV Girls game.

My partner had warned the coach about trying to assist with officiating the game. This is the first quarter.

Second quarter, coach does not heed the warning. WHACK!! Lose coaching box.

Third quarter, no problems.

Fourth quarter, the game is back and forth evenly match teams. The coach decide that she want to get up briefly and shout instructions. (Passed on that one). Because, she returned immediately back to her seat. (I am TRAIL opposite table) However, she gets up again and cross her arms and stand there. I wait about five seconds and give her the second direct technical. She then acts like she does not know what she did wrong.

Talking with partner after game. He stated, I should have told him she was up off the bench. This way it would not seem like I was out to get the coach. I disagree with this because he was the lead and the situation required immediate attention.

Thoughts/Comments?
__________________
truerookie
Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old Fri Jan 05, 2007, 09:43am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Posts: 14,614
By rule, you didn;t do anything incorrectly.

Although it's not required, I would probably have ran by with a warning that she was supposed to be seated. If she ignored it, then I wouldn't have any problem with giving her the 2nd.
__________________
"...as cool as the other side of the pillow." - Stuart Scott

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old Fri Jan 05, 2007, 09:44am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by truerookie
I know a couple of weeks ago. It was discussed about how many technicals an official should give. For example, if an official gave the coach the first technical should they come back and give the second technical which would cause for an ejection/disqualification.

I had a situation last night in a JV Girls game.

My partner had warned the coach about trying to assist with officiating the game. This is the first quarter.

Second quarter, coach does not heed the warning. WHACK!! Lose coaching box.

Third quarter, no problems.

Fourth quarter, the game is back and forth evenly match teams. The coach decide that she want to get up briefly and shout instructions. (Passed on that one). Because, she returned immediately back to her seat. (I am TRAIL opposite table) However, she gets up again and cross her arms and stand there. I wait about five seconds and give her the second direct technical. She then acts like she does not know what she did wrong.

Talking with partner after game. He stated, I should have told him she was up off the bench. This way it would not seem like I was out to get the coach. I disagree with this because he was the lead and the situation required immediate attention.

Thoughts/Comments?
There's not a hard and fast rule on how many T's an official should give. If you feel the T is warranted then you should give it. I feel it is good practice for the official giving the T to not get personal. I may have handled it differently but I was not there.
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old Fri Jan 05, 2007, 09:48am
Lighten up, Francis.
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 4,396
Quote:
Originally Posted by BktBallRef
By rule, you didn;t do anything incorrectly.

Although it's not required, I would probably have ran by with a warning that she was supposed to be seated. If she ignored it, then I wouldn't have any problem with giving her the 2nd.
I agree with this completely.
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old Fri Jan 05, 2007, 10:22am
In Memoriam
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Hell
Posts: 20,213
Quote:
Originally Posted by truerookie
It was discussed about how many technicals an official should give. For example, if an official gave the coach the first technical should they come back and give the second technical which would cause for an ejection/disqualification.
Where's Tomegun? I wanna watch his head explode.

Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old Fri Jan 05, 2007, 10:28am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Lakewood, Ohio
Posts: 710
This ought to make his head explode...you should've given her the stop sign and told her to sit back down
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old Fri Jan 05, 2007, 10:56am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Racine, Wisconsin
Posts: 1,081
Quote:
Originally Posted by BktBallRef
By rule, you didn;t do anything incorrectly.

Although it's not required, I would probably have ran by with a warning that she was supposed to be seated. If she ignored it, then I wouldn't have any problem with giving her the 2nd.

Wasn't the warning given when she got whacked and lost the box on the first whack?
__________________
Every game is a big game
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old Fri Jan 05, 2007, 01:32pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Mizzouah!
Posts: 352
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodwillRef
Wasn't the warning given when she got whacked and lost the box on the first whack?
Good point...did you tell her that she lost her coaching box?
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Foul tip? Direct? TussAgee11 Baseball 27 Sun May 28, 2006 12:52am
Third Direct Technical chayce Basketball 19 Sat Jan 07, 2006 08:44am
Direct Technicals paysonref Basketball 6 Thu Dec 29, 2005 09:20am
Direct or team?? BOBBYMO Basketball 3 Mon Dec 19, 2005 12:44pm
Direct Snap Buckeyes Football 3 Thu Sep 30, 2004 09:14am


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:12pm.



Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.3.0 RC1