The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jan 05, 2007, 09:37am
Official Forum Member

two direct technicals

I know a couple of weeks ago. It was discussed about how many technicals an official should give. For example, if an official gave the coach the first technical should they come back and give the second technical which would cause for an ejection/disqualification.

I had a situation last night in a JV Girls game.

My partner had warned the coach about trying to assist with officiating the game. This is the first quarter.

Second quarter, coach does not heed the warning. WHACK!! Lose coaching box.

Third quarter, no problems.

Fourth quarter, the game is back and forth evenly match teams. The coach decide that she want to get up briefly and shout instructions. (Passed on that one). Because, she returned immediately back to her seat. (I am TRAIL opposite table) However, she gets up again and cross her arms and stand there. I wait about five seconds and give her the second direct technical. She then acts like she does not know what she did wrong.

Talking with partner after game. He stated, I should have told him she was up off the bench. This way it would not seem like I was out to get the coach. I disagree with this because he was the lead and the situation required immediate attention.

Thoughts/Comments?
Old Fri Jan 05, 2007, 09:43am
Official Forum Member

By rule, you didn;t do anything incorrectly.

Although it's not required, I would probably have ran by with a warning that she was supposed to be seated. If she ignored it, then I wouldn't have any problem with giving her the 2nd.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Fri Jan 05, 2007, 09:44am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by truerookie
I know a couple of weeks ago. It was discussed about how many technicals an official should give. For example, if an official gave the coach the first technical should they come back and give the second technical which would cause for an ejection/disqualification.

I had a situation last night in a JV Girls game.

My partner had warned the coach about trying to assist with officiating the game. This is the first quarter.

Second quarter, coach does not heed the warning. WHACK!! Lose coaching box.

Third quarter, no problems.

Fourth quarter, the game is back and forth evenly match teams. The coach decide that she want to get up briefly and shout instructions. (Passed on that one). Because, she returned immediately back to her seat. (I am TRAIL opposite table) However, she gets up again and cross her arms and stand there. I wait about five seconds and give her the second direct technical. She then acts like she does not know what she did wrong.

Talking with partner after game. He stated, I should have told him she was up off the bench. This way it would not seem like I was out to get the coach. I disagree with this because he was the lead and the situation required immediate attention.

Thoughts/Comments?
There's not a hard and fast rule on how many T's an official should give. If you feel the T is warranted then you should give it. I feel it is good practice for the official giving the T to not get personal. I may have handled it differently but I was not there.
Old Fri Jan 05, 2007, 09:48am
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BktBallRef

Although it's not required, I would probably have ran by with a warning that she was supposed to be seated. If she ignored it, then I wouldn't have any problem with giving her the 2nd.
I agree with this completely.
Old Fri Jan 05, 2007, 10:22am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by truerookie
It was discussed about how many technicals an official should give. For example, if an official gave the coach the first technical should they come back and give the second technical which would cause for an ejection/disqualification.
Where's Tomegun? I wanna watch his head explode.

Old Fri Jan 05, 2007, 10:28am
Official Forum Member

This ought to make his head explode...you should've given her the stop sign and told her to sit back down
Old Fri Jan 05, 2007, 10:56am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BktBallRef

Wasn't the warning given when she got whacked and lost the box on the first whack?
Old Fri Jan 05, 2007, 01:32pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodwillRef
Wasn't the warning given when she got whacked and lost the box on the first whack?
Good point...did you tell her that she lost her coaching box?