The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Jan 07, 2007, 05:38pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old School
Logically speaking, if there is a designated captain for the team, which I always mark in the book when I'm the R for the game. It is not totally out of reach (at least in my opinion it's not) to go to this person (in the absence of a HC and AC) and request certain administrative things from him,
I'd suggest that you contact the State (VA?) Association and see how to handle it in your state.
Old Mon Jan 08, 2007, 08:05am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells
Even a stopped clock is right twice a day. Don't get too excited. I suppose there is meaning behind this, but I have no idea what it is.

Ooh, the Magic Rule. Try pulling this out of your azz during a sanctioned high school game, just once. I dare you. I do it all the time, I'm not afraid to be an official, nor am I afraid to make a judgment in the game that's not clearly defined in the rules. If I'm wrong, so be it. If they don't want to give me any more games because of it. I'll just go back to what I was doing before I started officiating. Life goes on, even if I don't have a game to work tomorrow.

As I told you, in both states I've reffed, this is a state rule. So, it is specifically covered. I would be willing to bet money that it's the same in every state, with minor alterations (such as whether the replacement adult had to be a certified coach, teacher, or just a kind parent with a pulse). The point is it's not written in the rulebook.

If you're going to disregard state rules that don't allow the game to continue when one team doesn't have a coach; why are you going to report the ejections? Nothing in the rules says you're supposed to.
I don't disregard anything. I merely make a decision and move on, and sometimes, I make a mistake, sometimes, I get it wrong. Not the end of the world to me. I just move on and try not to make that same mistake again.

Referee's don't have to be perfect, they just have to be consistent!
Old Mon Jan 08, 2007, 08:13am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins
I'd suggest that you contact the State (VA?) Association and see how to handle it in your state.
Please don't put this dumba** in VA. We have our share of poor officials, but nothing as bad as him/her.
Old Mon Jan 08, 2007, 08:25am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by dblref
Please don't put this dumba** in VA. We have our share of poor officials, but nothing as bad as him/her.
Relax.

No matter what state he's in(probably the state of confusion), he's certainly not representative of the officials in that state.
Old Mon Jan 08, 2007, 11:00am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
I don't disregard anything. I merely make a decision and move on, and sometimes, I make a mistake, sometimes, I get it wrong. Not the end of the world to me. I just move on and try not to make that same mistake again.
In order to learn from a mistake, you have to admit it was a mistake. You're not doing that here; you're still justifying using 2-3 to continue a game that states generally say must be ended by forfeit. Unless you can tell me your state doens't require the forfeit here, you are disregarding the rules.

You've previously mentioned bending the rules to avoid any chance at a lawsuit. You want to see a lawsuit, try finishing a game without a coach and having a kid get hurt. Who's going to come out on the court to tend to him, the captain?

It's not about being "afraid to be an official." It's about taking the time to know the basic rules, for crying out loud.
Old Mon Jan 08, 2007, 11:41am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells
You've previously mentioned bending the rules to avoid any chance at a lawsuit. You want to see a lawsuit, try finishing a game without a coach and having a kid get hurt. Who's going to come out on the court to tend to him, the captain?
The trainer. The lawyer will sue the coach for getting tossed and not being there to coach his kid. Then the lawyer can sue the A/D for hiring an incompetent staff where all of them got ejected, or for not having an assistant present at the game. Then if they still want to sue, they can sue the school for not making sure an adult was present to monitor the players. Last, they can come after me, but that won't get them very far because I'm an independent contractor and I got no money.

Last edited by bob jenkins; Mon Jan 08, 2007 at 11:46am.
Old Mon Jan 08, 2007, 11:53am
Keeper of the HAMMER

The only reason I'm even responding to you is to make sure that newer officials don't think they can actually follow your inane advice.
The trainer? You mean the kid that tapes ankles and fills the water cups? No chance in my game. If the trainer is an adult, then he's probably already coaching the team at this point. Fine with me, you've got an adult who's likely certified to finish the game as coach.
Old Mon Jan 08, 2007, 12:27pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
The trainer. The lawyer will sue the coach for getting tossed and not being there to coach his kid. Then the lawyer can sue the A/D for hiring an incompetent staff where all of them got ejected, or for not having an assistant present at the game. Then if they still want to sue, they can sue the school for not making sure an adult was present to monitor the players. Last, they can come after me, but that won't get them very far because I'm an independent contractor and I got no money.
Now we all KNOW without any further cavil, that you do not live in the real world. A kid gets hurt in a game and the parents are going to sue the coach for being ejected?!?! You really need to start reading the Law Times, or Sports Law Updates.

I beg all officials everywhere to ignore this advice that s/he's giving. To be covered for the lawsuit possibilities you need to carry liability insurance for every game you work, and you need to follow their guidelines for avoiding problems. Do not, I repeat, do not just "wing it". Do not rely on common sense (since). It simply doesn't carry enough weight in court.
Closed Thread