Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper1
B.C.
Yup. Before Chuck.
Old Sun Jan 07, 2007, 08:49pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Vibrating Basket, Part II

Original post by BillyMac:
"At one time, many years ago, possibly as many as twenty-years ago, didn't the NFHS rule concerning contact with the backboard indicate that a technical foul was to be called if the contact caused the backboard and/or basket to VIBRATE. And if so, wasn't the rule changed, many years ago, to indicate that if contact was made during a legitimate attempt to block a shot that no technical foul was to be called, even if such contact caused the backboard and/or the basket to vibrate, as the rule now states. In any case, during the twenty-six years that I've been officiating, this situation has never been associated with basket interference, and the basket could never be awarded for contact with the backboard.

Reply by Jurassic Referee:
"I can't remember any kind of rule like the one that you're talking about, Billy. And I go back to 1959."

Let's go to the Rule Books:
1996-97 NFHS Basketball Rule Book, page 59, Technical Fouls: A player shall not slap or strike either backboard to cause either ring to vibrate while the ball is in flight during a tap or try or is touching the backboard or is on or in the basket or in the cylinder above the basket.

2000-01 NFHS Basketball Rule Book, page 70, Comments on the 2000-01 Rule Revisions: Clarified illegal contact with the backboard by stating that a player shall not INTENTIONALLY slap or strike the backboard or cause the ring to vibrate. The previous rule was difficult to understand and consequently was being called incorrectly or inconsistently.

Previous to 2000-01, if the basket vibrated after the backboard was slapped, even if the slap was a legitimate attempt to block the shot, a technical foul could have been called. Beginning with the 2000-01 season, if the vibration of the basket occured after the backboard was slapped during a legitimate attempt to block the shot, a technical foul could not be charged. In any case this situation has never been associated with basket interference, and the basket could never be awarded for contact with the backboard.

This rule clarification in 2000-01 is what has led to the myth that a vibrating backboard and/or basket is always a technical foul. Where the myth started that this is a form of basketball interference and that the basket could or should be awarded is anybody's guess.
Old Sun Jan 07, 2007, 09:04pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac
Original post by BillyMac:

2000-01 NFHS Basketball Rule Book, page 70, Comments on the 2000-01 Rule Revisions: Clarified illegal contact with the backboard by stating that a player shall not INTENTIONALLY slap or strike the backboard or cause the ring to vibrate. The previous rule was difficult to understand and consequently was being called incorrectly or inconsistently.

Previous to 2000-01, if the basket vibrated after the backboard was slapped, even if the slap was a legitimate attempt to block the shot, a technical foul could have been called.
Say what?

The cite from the 2000-01 rule book above is a clarification. It is not a rule change. Iow, that's the way that the FED always wanted to have it called----> no "T" for a legitimate try at a block.
Old Sun Jan 07, 2007, 09:15pm
Esteemed Forum Member

COULD Have Been Called

Jurassic Referee:

From BillyMac: "Previous to 2000-01, if the basket vibrated after the backboard was slapped, even if the slap was a legitimate attempt to block the shot, a technical foul could have been called".

Please note that I said "could" have been called. It probably "was" being called, which is probably why the NFHS came up with the clarification.

I spent a lot of time in my basement looking up information in my old rule books after officiating two CYO games this afternoon. I'm just trying to figure out the origin of this "vibrating" myth. I also spent some time looking up information about tattoos and the changing penalties for swinging elbows excessively. I haven't eaten dinner yet (Eastern Time Zone). Please give me a break and a little credit for trying to come up with the reason why coaches and fans want us to call technical fouls and award baskets when the basket is vibrated by a slapped backboard and for trying to come up with some information about tattoos and swinging elbows for the benefit of our younger or newer Forum members.

Last edited by BillyMac; Sun Jan 07, 2007 at 10:27pm.
Old Mon Jan 08, 2007, 04:00am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac
Jurassic Referee:

Please note that I said "could" have been called. It probably "was" being called, which is probably why the NFHS came up with the clarification.
Exactly, Billy. It was being called wrong. That's why the FED had to clarify the rule. That was my point.

There was nver an intent to diss you at any time. If you got that impression, I apologize. Maybe disagree with your terminology, but certainly not to put you down in any way. Looking up these old cites is certainly helpful imo.
Old Mon Jan 08, 2007, 09:14pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Thanks, Sorry

Jurassic Referee: Thanks for your kind words. I guess I was a little cranky yesterday. Sorry.

BillyMac