The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jan 05, 2007, 01:33pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper1
Has a pivot foot been established? NO! Per your own rule citation, the first foot to touch the floor becomes the pivot foot when the other foot touches the floor. And in the original situation, the second foot never touched. He just hopped on the same foot.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncaabbref
A2 catches and possess the ball (on the move) with their RIGHT foot on the floor. Then, A2 takes a step with their LEFT foot toward the basket, LIFTING their right foot. (OK so far????)

Right foot and left foot were different last time I looked.
Old Fri Jan 05, 2007, 02:03pm
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimgolf
Right foot and left foot were different last time I looked.
The lesson, as always: I'm an idiot.
Old Fri Jan 05, 2007, 04:05pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper1
The lesson, as always: I'm an idiot.
Two hours have gone by, and no one is jumping to your defense. So I will jump in and help a fellow Cub fan. (Oh, wait, that doesn't necessarily refute the idiot part, does it?)

Anyway, I had the same initial impression you did after reading the post, but went back later and saw the reason for the question - the pivot foot had not yet come back down, so can we call a travel before the pivot foot comes back down? I still say yes, only because that loophole was certainly not intended by the rules committes(s). If a coach presses me on it, I'll just give him 2-3 as the reference. So there.

(Used with permission.)
Old Fri Jan 05, 2007, 04:31pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by M&M Guy

Anyway, I had the same initial impression you did after reading the post, but went back later and saw the reason for the question - the pivot foot had not yet come back down, so can we call a travel before the pivot foot comes back down? I still say yes, only because that loophole was certainly not intended by the rules committes(s). If a coach presses me on it, I'll just give him 2-3 as the reference. So there.
Jimgolf provided the pertinent rules reference: 4-44.3b. There is no loophole.
Old Fri Jan 05, 2007, 04:36pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef
Jimgolf provided the pertinent rules reference: 4-44.3b. There is no loophole.
That rule reference contains the phrase "After coming to a stop ...." In the OP, the player never stopped.

That's why my first response in this thread was to the effect that the only arguement to be had on this case was some overly ANALytical parsing of the rules book.
Old Fri Jan 05, 2007, 04:44pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins
That rule reference contains the phrase "After coming to a stop ...." In the OP, the player never stopped.

That's why my first response in this thread was to the effect that the only arguement to be had on this case was some overly ANALytical parsing of the rules book.
Quote:
A passing lane opens and A1 makes an easy pass to A2 (on their way for an easy lay-up). A2 catches and possess the ball (on the move) with their RIGHT foot on the floor. Then, A2 takes a step with their LEFT foot toward the basket, LIFTING their right foot. (OK so far????)

Then, because A2 is not close enough to the rim for an easy lay up, A2 gets innovative and HOPS on their left foot (the right foot still never touching the floor again). A2 then lays the ball up and in for an easy left side lay-up.
The pertinent words in 4-44-3b are [i]"and establishing a pivot foot:"
Once A2 took a step with his LEFT foot he established his RIGHT foot as the pivot and his actions are governed by 4-44-2b and 4-44-3b.
Old Fri Jan 05, 2007, 05:01pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef
The pertinent words in 4-44-3b are [i]"and establishing a pivot foot:"
Once A2 took a step with his LEFT foot he established his RIGHT foot as the pivot and his actions are governed by 4-44-2b and 4-44-3b.
I know what you're saying, but there are some who would argue 4-44-2(b)1, then 4-44-3(a) applies.

Remember, we're both on the same side of the arguement, it's just that you feel the rule is concrete, and there are some who don't feel it's quite as obvious. Bottom line, it's still a travel in most people's books.

(Used with permission.)
Old Fri Jan 05, 2007, 05:05pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by M&M Guy
I know what you're saying, but there are some who would argue 4-44-2(b)1, then 4-44-3(a) applies.

Remember, we're both on the same side of the arguement, it's just that you feel the rule is concrete, and there are some who don't feel it's quite as obvious. Bottom line, it's still a travel in most people's books.
I hear ya. Maybe my reply should have been: What a waste of virtual space! We need to create a Darwin award for this thread.
Old Sat Jan 06, 2007, 11:38pm
Official Forum Member

comon guys, I just wanted to weed out the rule book quotes!!!