The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Case Play from SEC Camp (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/30613-case-play-sec-camp.html)

ncaabbref Thu Jan 04, 2007 10:07am

Case Play from SEC Camp

Here is a good one you guys! Had some interesting answers at our HS meeting last night. Here is the play:

Player A2 in on the left wing outside the 3 point line. B2 is defending. A1 has the ball at the top of the key. B2 takes a quick peak at A1 (with the ball). As B2 rotates their head left (away from A2 to take the peak at the ball), A2 cuts left (around B2) toward the basket.

A passing lane opens and A1 makes an easy pass to A2 (on their way for an easy lay-up). A2 catches and possess the ball (on the move) with their RIGHT foot on the floor. Then, A2 takes a step with their LEFT foot toward the basket, LIFTING their right foot. (OK so far????)

Then, because A2 is not close enough to the rim for an easy lay up, A2 gets innovative and HOPS on their left foot (the right foot still never touching the floor again). A2 then lays the ball up and in for an easy left side lay-up.

You are at Lead (ball side) and have a fantastic view of the play. What would you call? Traveling (and wave off the score)? Nothing (a legal play)? Nothing (astonished that this actually happened)? Nothing (do not understand Rule 4, Section 44)? How would you back it up if questioned?

(And, YES this case play actually happened!!)

:D

bob jenkins Thu Jan 04, 2007 10:30am

Travelling. The only "argument" can be over literal parsing of the rules.

tomegun Thu Jan 04, 2007 10:30am

Travelling

Jurassic Referee Thu Jan 04, 2007 10:34am

It's a travel. It might not be specifically defined as such...or at all....but the intent and purpose of the rule can't be to allow a player to pogo-hop down the court without dribbling or shooting while in player control of the ball.

Not specifically covered iow, but that's what I'd call....just off the top of my head.

M&M Guy Thu Jan 04, 2007 10:35am

I don't even work anywhere near the SEC, so I can't pretend to know what they would do. But in my game, that's a travel.

Dan_ref Thu Jan 04, 2007 10:36am

My vote....wait for it...travel.

gazebra Thu Jan 04, 2007 10:50am

travel, or as the kids would call it "ups and downs"

btaylor64 Thu Jan 04, 2007 10:54am

Quote:

Originally Posted by ncaabbref
Here is a good one you guys! Had some interesting answers at our HS meeting last night. Here is the play:

Player A2 in on the left wing outside the 3 point line. B2 is defending. A1 has the ball at the top of the key. B2 takes a quick peak at A1 (with the ball). As B2 rotates their head left (away from A2 to take the peak at the ball), A2 cuts left (around B2) toward the basket.

A passing lane opens and A1 makes an easy pass to A2 (on their way for an easy lay-up). A2 catches and possess the ball (on the move) with their RIGHT foot on the floor. Then, A2 takes a step with their LEFT foot toward the basket, LIFTING their right foot. (OK so far????)

Then, because A2 is not close enough to the rim for an easy lay up, A2 gets innovative and HOPS on their left foot (the right foot still never touching the floor again). A2 then lays the ball up and in for an easy left side lay-up.

You are at Lead (ball side) and have a fantastic view of the play. What would you call? Traveling (and wave off the score)? Nothing (a legal play)? Nothing (astonished that this actually happened)? Nothing (do not understand Rule 4, Section 44)? How would you back it up if questioned?

(And, YES this case play actually happened!!)

:D

I don't know what year of SEC camp you are talking about but since most all the guys are still of the coach Guthrie line this would be a walk because of the pro "hop" rule, therefore I would say that it is a travel cause you cannot hop off of one leg and land on the same leg. I know, I know it is a travel in any ruleset but I would bet that at camp that is the reasoning they gave.

armymanjones Thu Jan 04, 2007 11:29am

In my game it would be a travel

BktBallRef Thu Jan 04, 2007 12:00pm

Traveling in NFHS and NCAA.

truerookie Thu Jan 04, 2007 04:10pm

It's like Geico. Even a (Truerookie) can call it. Travelling!:D

Scrapper1 Thu Jan 04, 2007 05:46pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by truerookie
Even a (Truerookie) can call it.

Ok, first of all, I'm not really in love with your tone.

http://adweek.blogs.com/photos/uncat.../caveman_1.jpg

Adam Thu Jan 04, 2007 05:53pm

I seem to have lost my appetite.

rainmaker Thu Jan 04, 2007 07:04pm

(ring, ring) "It's my mom. I'll put it on speaker..."

Jimgolf Fri Jan 05, 2007 12:02pm

Has a pivot foot been established? Yes, per 44-2-a-2.
Then 44-3-b applies "If the player jumps, neither foot may be returned to the floor before the ball is released on a pass or try for goal."