The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   End Line Throw In (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/30577-end-line-throw.html)

Hartsy Tue Jan 02, 2007 12:05pm

End Line Throw In

Team A has a throw in after a made (or awarded) basket and A1 chooses to pass the ball to A2 along the endline. 1) Is it legal for A2 to receive this pass after leaving the court in bounds but before touching oob? 2) Is it legal for A2 to catch the ball while it is behind the endline, but A2 has one or both feet touching in bounds?

My initial reaction is that it is legal in both for an endline throw in, but a violation in both for a spot throw in.

mplagrow Tue Jan 02, 2007 12:07pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hartsy
Team A has a throw in after a made (or awarded) basket and A1 chooses to pass the ball to A2 along the endline. 1) Is it legal for A2 to receive this pass after leaving the court in bounds but before touching oob? 2) Is it legal for A2 to catch the ball while it is behind the endline, but A2 has one or both feet touching in bounds?

My initial reaction is that it is legal in both for an endline throw in, but a violation in both for a spot throw in.

Remember that a player retains the same position they had last time their feet touched the floor. I got an OOB violation in #1 for that reason. If the player has both feet in bounds when they catch, I got nothing. If they're straddling the lines, violation.

Adam Tue Jan 02, 2007 12:09pm

1. Legal throwin, but OOB on A2 as soon as she lands OOB. When A2 catches the ball in the air after having left from inbounds, the throwin ends legally. Upon landing, you now have an OOB violation.

2. Depends. If the only thing on the floor is inbounds, it's legal. If A2 is straddling the line (part in, and part out), violation.

amcginthy Tue Jan 02, 2007 12:12pm

Quote:

Hey, I'm a coach not a ref, but my understanding, just like for a backcourt violation, is that: "you are where you are, until you get where your going"... I'd say violation - caught the ball inbounds (in the air, after leaving inbounds before landing oob= inbounds) and landed oob....

?? am I correct :confused: ?? If not, I'm sure someone will let me know very quickly...

Coach M,
S. Hagerstown Lady Rebels.

Jurassic Referee Tue Jan 02, 2007 12:18pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells
1. Legal throwin, but OOB on A2 as soon as she lands OOB. When A2 catches the ball in the air after having left from inbounds, the throwin ends legally. Upon landing, you now have an OOB violation.

2. Depends. If the only thing on the floor is inbounds, it's legal. If A2 is straddling the line (part in, and part out), violation.

Bingo!<i></i>

bob jenkins Tue Jan 02, 2007 01:07pm

Quote:

2) Is it legal for A2 to catch the ball while it is behind the endline, but A2 has one or both feet touching in bounds?

If by "behind the endline" you mean over OOB, then this is a violation even if A2 is invbounds. 9-2-3

Hartsy Tue Jan 02, 2007 01:10pm

Isn't #2 in my original post a violation of 9-2-3?

lukealex Tue Jan 02, 2007 01:59pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by amcginthy
"you are where you are, until you get where your going"

"You are where you were until you get where you're going" is a little better, imo

Nevadaref Tue Jan 02, 2007 02:03pm

Answering very specifically:

Quote:

Team A has a throw in after a made (or awarded) basket and A1 chooses to pass the ball to A2 along the endline. 1) Is it legal for A2 to receive this pass after leaving the court in bounds but before touching oob?

You need to tell me which side of the boundary plane the ball is on. If it is on the OOB side, then this violates 9-2-3 because A2 is not "a teammate outside the boundary line."

If the ball is on the inbounds side of the boundary plane when A2 catches it, then so far all action is legal. You did not state what A2 did after catching the ball. If he lands OOB with the ball this is a simple OOB violation. However, he could throw a pass to another teammate prior to landing or he could request a time-out. All I know is that no violation has occurred at this point.

Quote:

2) Is it legal for A2 to catch the ball while it is behind the endline, but A2 has one or both feet touching in bounds?

NO, per 9-2-3.

mbyron Tue Jan 02, 2007 02:18pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by lukealex
"You are where you were until you get where you're going" is a little better, imo

"You are where you were till you get where you're going" scans better. ;)

Nevadaref Tue Jan 02, 2007 02:39pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by mbyron

:rolleyes:
Main Entry: <SUP>1</SUP>till http://www.m-w.com/images/audio.gif
Pronunciation: <TT>t<SUP>&</SUP>l, t&l, 'til</TT>
Function: preposition
Etymology: Middle English, from Old English til; akin to Old Norse til to, till, Old English til good
1 chiefly Scottish : TO
2 or 'til also til : UNTIL

rainmaker Tue Jan 02, 2007 03:06pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by mbyron

Are you bucking for a promotion to Mr. Annoying Poetry Guy?

mbyron Tue Jan 02, 2007 04:21pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by rainmaker
Are you bucking for a promotion to Mr. Annoying Poetry Guy?

I'm grateful that you think of it as a promotion....

Adam Tue Jan 02, 2007 08:04pm

Interesting. So during a throwin by A1, B1 may reach across the boundary plane and catch the ball once it's been released, but A2 may not. I hadn't considered that before.

Jurassic Referee Tue Jan 02, 2007 08:33pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells
Interesting. So during a throwin by A1, B1 may reach across the boundary plane and catch the ball once it's been released, but A2 may not. I hadn't considered that before.

Rule 7-6-3 says that the restrictions governing the thrower's <b>opponent</b> from breaking the plane on a throw-in end when the ball leaves the thrower's hands on the throw-in. And....rule 9-2-3 only restricts the touching of a throw-in on the OOB side of the plane to <b>teammates</b> of the thrower.