The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Sep 27, 2001, 03:40am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Tweets
Question

Earlier on this board the flag patch was said to belong on the right sleeve of our jersey, elsewhere I have heard it could go on the back (top middle) like Major League Baseball. I haven't found it any where in the books. whaddya think?

Hey wait a minute....let's just turn our black stripes red and have blue with white stars on the collar and sleeve cuffs. tee-hee (JK)
Old Thu Sep 27, 2001, 07:39am
Official Forum Member

I think it varies by state.

Here in OH we have to put it on the left shoulder.

I saw on the West Virgina site that if one official does it, the whole crew has to.

Old Thu Sep 27, 2001, 08:24am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Brian Watson
I think it varies by state.

Here in OH we have to put it on the left shoulder.

I saw on the West Virgina site that if one official does it, the whole crew has to.
In NC, we are also putting it on the left sleeve.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Thu Sep 27, 2001, 10:11am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref

A Google search using displaying the flag gets many
hits. Here are some:

http://www.usflag.org/flag.etiquette.html

The Flag Code, which formalizes and unifies the traditional ways in which we give respect to the flag, also contains specific instructions on how the flag is not to be used. They are:

The flag should never be dipped to any person or thing. It is flown upside down only as a distress signal.

The flag should not be used as a drapery, or for covering a speakers desk, draping a platform, or for any decoration in general. Bunting of blue, white and red stripes is available for these purposes. The blue stripe of the bunting should be on the top.

The flag should never be used for any advertising purpose. It should not be embroidered, printed or otherwise impressed on such articles as cushions, handkerchiefs, napkins, boxes, or anything intended to be discarded after temporary use.

Advertising signs should not be attached to the staff or halyard

The flag should not be used as part of a costume or athletic uniform, except that a flag patch may be used on the uniform of military personnel, fireman, policeman and members of patriotic organizations.

The flag should never have placed on it, or attached to it, any mark, insignia, letter, word, number, figure, or drawing of any kind.

The flag should never be used as a receptacle for receiving, holding, carrying, or delivering anything.

When the flag is lowered, no part of it should touch the ground or any other object; it should be received by waiting hands and arms. To store the flag it should be folded neatly and ceremoniously.

The flag should be cleaned and mended when necessary.

When a flag is so worn it is no longer fit to serve as a symbol of our country, it should be destroyed by burning in a dignified manner.

More detail here:

http://www.bcpl.net/~etowner/flagcode.html

(j) No part of the flag should ever be used as a costume or athletic uniform. However, a flag patch may be affixed to
the uniform of military personnel, firemen, policemen, and members of patriotic organizations. The flag represents a
living country and is itself considered a living thing.
Therefore, the lapel flag pin being a replica, should be worn on the left lapel near the heart.
Old Thu Sep 27, 2001, 11:21am
In Memoriam

Lightbulb Michigan flag - right sleeve

NOTICE REGARDING AMERICAN FLAG PATCH
ON TEAM & OFFICIALS UNIFORMS

National Federation rules allow for an American flag patch, not to exceed 2 by 3 inches, to be worn on a uniform jersey, provided the patch does not interfere with the visibility of the number of on the jersey. A 2 by 3 inch American flag patch may also be worn on a swimming suit or tennis uniform.

According to the MHSAA Officials Guidebook (page 13), it is permitted for officials to affix an American flag patch on their uniforms as long as it is placed on the right shirtsleeve of the uniform. It is recommended that the flag patch not exceed 2 by 3 inches, the same size restriction as player uniforms

Old Thu Sep 27, 2001, 12:09pm
Official Forum Member

I am considering a flag pin for my volleyball and track shirts, but I cannot find any...

I don't see myself putting a flag patch on my bball or lacrosse stripes. I wear the mesh type and I don't think the material is strong enough to support it without puckering or looking goofy.
Old Thu Sep 27, 2001, 02:48pm
Official Forum Member

from the IHSA:

The flag patch may be worn if it is afixed on the left side above the heart.

Just got that bit of new today from my officials assocation president.
Old Thu Sep 27, 2001, 08:21pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by Brian Watson
I am considering a flag pin for my volleyball and track shirts, but I cannot find any...

I don't see myself putting a flag patch on my bball or lacrosse stripes. I wear the mesh type and I don't think the material is strong enough to support it without puckering or looking goofy.
Brian,
I don't wear Jewelry when I ref.
mick
Old Thu Sep 27, 2001, 09:04pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally posted by mikesears
from the IHSA:

Mike,

The IHSA sent out a statement saying that we should only where a flag, not different than the ones the players can where, on our right shoulder. We are not suppose to wear them on our pocket or any other place. But that would be the most logical place in my opinion, considering that we have patches on both arms.

Peace
Old Fri Sep 28, 2001, 04:33am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Tweets
Wink Flags

I have asked around AZ since my original post and it seems that a lot of guys have the "let's get on with life" attitude. It kind of makes me feel like a goofball for planning to put one on my stripes. My partner would wear one too, if I do though, so at least we'd match. It's almost like basketball season is too far ahead to be thinking about it and everyone is thinking this will have all worn off one month from now. It is kind of discouraging but then if it's not cool then I guess you can color me dorky. To me its not just "YEAH I'm proud to be an American look at how patriotic I can be". It's more of a way to pay respects to the victims and show that we are not forgetting, and to set the example to the players, coaches, etc. that there will always be more impotant things. I also got "official" word that we wear it on our left sleeve. what I don't understand is the statement Brian Watson found on not wearing it on athletic uniforms, but I'm probably just having a brain fart. I'm going to interpret that to mean that a jersey should not LOOK like a flag.---Kinda like I joked in the first post about my jersey.
I'm gonna shut up now and get my farting brain some rest, seeing as it is only 2:30 in the morning my time.
Old Fri Sep 28, 2001, 06:15am
Official Forum Member

Heres a link

Quote:
Originally posted by JRutledge
Quote:
Originally posted by mikesears
from the IHSA:

Mike,

The IHSA sent out a statement saying that we should only where a flag, not different than the ones the players can where, on our right shoulder. We are not suppose to wear them on our pocket or any other place. But that would be the most logical place in my opinion, considering that we have patches on both arms.

Peace
Heres a link to the announcement on the IHSA website
http://www.ihsa.org/announce/010926.htm
Old Sat Sep 29, 2001, 08:56pm
Official Forum Member

WIAA Officials...

Here is the response to my request for an answer from our (WISCONSIN) HS ASSociation....

In replay to your questions regarding the wearing of the American flag.

Yes officials can wear the American flag. We are requiring if you choose to wear it that it be sewn on the left sleeve about 3 to 4 inches above the elbow. It can be no larger then 2" x 3".

Old Sat Sep 29, 2001, 10:41pm
In Memoriam

Talking Re: WIAA Officials...

Quote:
Originally posted by williebfree

Yes officials can wear the American flag. We are requiring if you choose to wear it that it be sewn on the left sleeve about 3 to 4 inches above the elbow. It can be no larger then 2" x 3".

You guys all wear long sleeve shirts, yo?
Old Sat Sep 29, 2001, 11:23pm
Official Forum Member

Re: Re: WIAA Officials...

Quote:
Originally posted by mick
Quote:
Originally posted by williebfree

You guys all wear long sleeve shirts, yo?
My guess is that the WIAA was responding based on the fact that the present season is football season.

We simply placed our 2" below the left shoulder seam.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Sun Sep 30, 2001, 01:34am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
I hope we can find a way to avoid any political statements at all. If the rule is, "If one ref wears them, the whole crew has to" where does that leave the Jehovah's Witness, or the Communist Party member, or anyone else who feels uncomfortable wearing an American flag? If some refs do and some don't there is an inevitable comparison that could be drawn, and it doesn;t have anything to do with basketball. I don't think the politics of the world belong on the basketball floor, or the soccer field, or where ever we are officiating.