View Single Post
Old Mon Oct 08, 2001, 10:18am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Tim Roden
Quote:
Originally posted by rainmaker
I guess I don't agree or disagree with any of this -- well, that's disingenuous, but which I disagree with and which I don't isn't the point. And that's the point I am trying to make. What difference does it make to my basketball whether I am patriotic or not and how I choose to express that? Part of our freedom here in a democratic state is the freedom to not be forced to express a certain political view, if we don't want to. If politics has nothing to do with basketball -- I'm talking national politics, not association politics!! -- it shouldn't be forced into basketball. God help us if Walter's board has much influence nationally. Where can that kind of proscription lead, but to trouble???
Julie, I think at this sensitive time in our nation it does make a point. While some may be a passifist or Non God and Country people or whatever divergent view you have. You will be the only member of the crew without the American flag on his/her uniform. As such a person, you could end up as a target for millitant patriots and thus put yourself in a position for even more verbal abuse then you are used to. Wear the flag and remember it stands for a UNITED States and we are all in this thing together. We wear the flag to remeber the fallen in New York, Washington, and Pennsylvania. We wear the flag to remember those now flying over Afganastan who will fight and die for the cause. We wear the flag because we have the right to disagree on where and how to wear the flag.