View Single Post
Old Mon Oct 08, 2001, 06:36pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Post here's a new take - maybe

Quote:
Originally posted by rockyroad
Walter, you said your board was requiring the flags to be worn?? So if an official chooses not to, does that official lose games? Pay a fine? What is the "punishment" for not wearing the flag, and - as Juulie is asking - should there even BE a punishment for not wearing the flag?

dj
I don't think there's anyone out there who doesn't agree that an association can adopt and enforce a dress code for it's members while those members are representing that association at a game. Let me ask you this - what is the penalty for wearing white shoes, or shorts, or a collared shirt instead of a v-neck (for example) or an association patch? Now, you may think that requiring a flag patch is different. But, is it really?

You may argue that dress code requirements are based on looking "professional" (whatever that is). A big part of that is being dressed the same as your partner(s) and other association members. If your association decides that adding a flag patch increases your appearance of professionalism (OK, that's a stretch, but what constitutes "professionalism" is totally subjective), then they are basing their code on that same principle - the principle of dressing to represent the association in the manner in which that association has determined it wants to be represented. That's their right, and the majority rules.

Again, you may make a case that their rules violate your constitutional right to choose not to participate in what you perceive as a political statement (or for whatever reason, perhaps religious).

To that I say - have fun at the Supreme Court.