The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Oct 15, 2001, 11:51pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to moose69
Question

Ok here's the deal. I'm assigned to do a JV/V double header tonight, fine by me. to make a long story short, my partner for the varsity game is the trail on a FT. all of a sudden, after the first FT, i see him over in the stands lecturing a couple of fans.turns out they were being unsportsmanlike and that if they didnt curb their behaviour, he'd start throwing T's out. SO i explained the rule, told him to let game managment handle it. So now i get my partner calmed down. Now comes the fun part, coaches. Whining about everything.One coach was screaming for a time out, in a very loud gym. I'm trail, covering the full court press, triple team on the ball, then i notice the coach jumping up and down, signaling for a time out, i grant it. Partner is 40 feet closer to the bench,but since was watching the ball didn't pick up on it. I called the TO eventually, coach get's screaming in my face because i didn't hear the request telling me how i had to tell the other team to stop cheering so loudly,etc. I told her i didn;'t have the authority to do such a thing. Then the other coach is getting bit hyper. i noticed his entire bench was standing so, i asked the coach to make his bench sit, he objected to that, but told them to sit. One minute later, bench is up for no reason, not cheering or anything. I call a bench technical(couldn't charge it to one player since they were all standing), and things seemed to settle down.

My questions are:
1) Is there any rule that lets us not allow a team to cheer, so that it prevents us from hearing time out requests?
2) and how do you help out a junior official on a varsity assingment like i had in my case?.

Sorry about the length guys,

TR
Old Tue Oct 16, 2001, 08:35am
Official Forum Member

(1) As long as they're not being vulgar or taunting about it - no.

(2) Yikes - a T for standing up. I used to have problems (at the clock) with teams standing up where I couldn't see the throw-in, and I would be lucky if I could get one of the on court officials to tell them to sit down. If you were to call a T here, I'm pretty sure it would have to be charged to the coach (because you had him tell the team to sit dow), and not on "the bench."
Old Tue Oct 16, 2001, 09:33am
Official Forum Member

The reason i assesed it to the bench was there was not one single offender. incidentily, the head coach was seated. I direct your attention to Fed point of emphasis 2:
. Bench Personnel - Another consideration is bench personnel standing during a live ball. Consistent with Rule 10-4-1g and 10-5-2, bench personnel, includingassistant coaches, team members, managers, etc must remain seated unless spontaneously responding to an outstanding play. The rules committee recommends these rules be emphasized and enforced. Coaches must instruct anddirect their players that they may not stand during play (e.g., the practice of standing until your team scores is prohibited).
Old Tue Oct 16, 2001, 09:59am
Official Forum Member

You are correct. They aren't allowed to stand and it can be called on the bench. The coach is going to get credit, indirectly, for the T anyway. But I also have never seen it called. Normally, a warning or two to the coach takes care of it.

But we do what we have to do.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Tue Oct 16, 2001, 10:46am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Tim Roden
By rule you are correct. But let's practice some common sense. We don't always T the coach everytime he is out of his box? So don't T the players every time they are up. Next stoppage, give the bench a warning and then nail them the next time. BTW, in the rule 10.4.1g, they can stand to respond to a play but must sit back down immediately.
Old Tue Oct 16, 2001, 11:14am
Official Forum Member

Actually, I believe he did warn the coach prior to calling the T.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Tue Oct 16, 2001, 12:08pm
Official Forum Member

Sounds like he warned them, I say wack them if that is what needs to be done.

I have had at least 5 coaches complain about the volume of cheering in volleyball this year. I guess stuff goes in cycles, but when did this become such an issue? I am NOT going to tell a crowd to stop cheering, and there is no rule to back it up if I did. In every case there was no vulgur or obscene stuff going on, they were just "too loud" according to the coach. If this keeps up in during hoops season I am going to go crazy.
Old Tue Oct 16, 2001, 12:20pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Question

Quote:
Originally posted by Brian Watson

I have had at least 5 coaches complain about the volume of cheering in volleyball this year.
Isn't the point of HS sports to provide an athletic experience for the participants, plus promote school spirit? It seems to me that the louder the crowd cheers, the more the program is promoting school spirit. Do coaches want us to take a position against this? If that's the case, then they shouldn't complain when we take a position against the other component - the athletic experience for the participants - and toss their little heinies out.
Old Tue Oct 16, 2001, 02:53pm
Official Forum Member

Just to state my case again, i did issues a couple of warnings. I told the coach the only time his players could stand was to cheer spontainiously. He said, but they're cheering. I told him how they can't stand all the time, only to meet a player coming off the floor, during a time out, and to cheer for a good play. i warned him earlier in the game, when i doubled checked who was the head, and who was the assistant coaches. after i read him the rule, or what i believed to be the correct interperation of the rule, i noticed his players standing and cheering for no apparant reason. That's when i called the T. three quarters of the bench personal, the assitant coach and manager included were all standing. That's when i assessed the technical.

P.S. turned out to be a 5 point game, non offending team missed both shots.

Cheers, T

[Edited by moose69 on Oct 16th, 2001 at 02:55 PM]