View Single Post
Old Mon Oct 08, 2001, 03:05pm
Official Forum Member

OK, having said that, do I really believe that requiring basketball officials to wear a flag patch furthers our national security interests? Of course not. But that's not the point. I believe the point is that it's important for the governing officials association to demonstrate that the playing of the game is put into perspective. What I mean is that - while we are playing a game - we have not forgotten there is something going on that is infinitely more important and that we recognize that. To my mind, that is the significance of wearing the flag patch - to indicate that I have not lost sight of the real news. I think this is what an association is trying to convey.

After all, it's just a game.

What Mark writes above is exactly what my organization is trying to convey. This is only a game and that there is a lot more going on out there than basketball. The flag vendor we are purchasing the flags from is donating 100% of the profits from the sales to the relief fund for the victims of September 11, 2001. Our board felt that the flag stands for a lot of different things to a lot of different people. However, a vote of membership present at the time showed unanimous support for the relief effort and for the purchase. For the majority of members that I personally spoke to, the flag was a way of honoring the victims and heroes of that day as well as showing support for our nation.