Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Dec 23, 2006, 04:21pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper1
On the men's side, there's a question of whether we should allow the sub or not. It doesn't seem like an inadvertant whistle, and it's not a timing problem; so the sub is ok, right? Well, no. We got a clarification saying not to allow the sub.
Who did we get a clarification from?

As I recall when this rule defining what we can do with subs when the clock's stopped after FG came out 3 or 4 yrs ago we were told that subs *can* enter on a whistle for a loose ball. Seemed a silly distinction to me at the time, and I agree the wording is better on the women's side.
Old Sat Dec 23, 2006, 05:20pm
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan_ref
As I recall when this rule defining what we can do with subs when the clock's stopped after FG came out 3 or 4 yrs ago we were told that subs *can* enter on a whistle for a loose ball.
Maybe I'm remembering it backwards. But I thought that the clarification was that since the clock was stopped anyway due to the successful basket, it was considered an inadvertant whistle if the official blew the whistle to retrieve the ball. Since it was inadvertant, we were not to allow any subs.

Have I mis-remembered?
Old Sat Dec 23, 2006, 05:42pm
Courageous When Prudent

NCAA rules...

Quote:
Maybe I'm remembering it backwards. But I thought that the clarification was that since the clock was stopped anyway due to the successful basket, it was considered an inadvertant whistle if the official blew the whistle to retrieve the ball. Since it was inadvertant, we were not to allow any subs.

Have I mis-remembered?
I agree with Scrapper on this one. Women's wording makes it clear there are only certain circumstances for which to allow a sub. The Men's wording is only stating 2 specific incidents when you cannot allow a sub.

So let's discuss this situation. Under 59.9 seconds, after a made basket, before ball is at disposal of thrower-in, Coach requests a correctable error review. Coach wins his correctable error case so is not charged with a time-out. Now, do we, or do we not, allow subs to enter the game?

Last edited by Raymond; Sun Dec 24, 2006 at 08:54am.
Old Sun Dec 24, 2006, 05:13pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Have I mis-remembered?
This is what bothered me about this...the ball's dead & the clock's stopped anyway so why a need to blow the whistle - I guess if the ball rolls way under the stands or out the gym door? But, as I recall we were told *if* you blow the whistle in this case let the subs in. And we were told the woman's rule was different.

I can't recall hearing or reading this has been changed. If you have a clarification why don't you send the link to me?
Old Sun Dec 24, 2006, 08:42pm
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:
If you have a clarification why don't you send the link to me?
I don't, but I will look later this week.
Old Sun Dec 24, 2006, 09:42pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef
So let's discuss this situation. Under 59.9 seconds, after a made basket, before ball is at disposal of thrower-in, Coach requests a correctable error review. Coach wins his correctable error case so is not charged with a time-out. Now, do we, or do we not, allow subs to enter the game?
???????????
Old Tue Dec 26, 2006, 12:11pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
???????????
You listed the rule yourself. Is your case a time when a sub cannot enter? I just don't see why this is so confusing to you.
  • Art. 7. (Men) Substitution shall not be allowed when the game is stopped
    in the last 59.9 seconds of the second half or any extra period to correct a
    timing mistake
    or for an inadvertent whistle.
  • Art. 7. (Women) Substitutions shall not be allowed when the game is
    stopped in the last 59.9 seconds of the second half or any extra period for
    anything other than a timeout, a violation or a foul
Old Tue Dec 26, 2006, 12:20pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Quote:
You listed the rule yourself. Is your case a time when a sub cannot enter? I just don't see why this is so confusing to you.
  • Art. 7. (Men) Substitution shall not be allowed when the game is stopped
    in the last 59.9 seconds of the second half or any extra period to correct a
    timing mistake
    or for an inadvertent whistle.
  • Art. 7. (Women) Substitutions shall not be allowed when the game is
    stopped in the last 59.9 seconds of the second half or any extra period for
    anything other than a timeout, a violation or a foul
So in NCAA-M you obviously can allow a sub. But in NCAA-W it would seem you can't.
Old Tue Dec 26, 2006, 12:30pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
So in NCAA-M you obviously can allow a sub. But in NCAA-W it would seem you can't.
That's how I read it.