The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Dec 20, 2006, 11:34pm
Official Forum Member

NCAA travel while dribbling

There was a rather unfortunate decision made by the Lead with 1:27 remaining in the 2nd half of the Texas/Arkansas game tonight.
Texas's Kevin Durrant caught the ball in the post with his back to the basket and made a spin move to his right towards the lane. There is contact with the defender and the defender goes down. Durrant tries to continue his move, but trips over the defender. HE CONTINUES HIS DRIBBLE as he falls to the floor in the lane. Just at the last moment he pushes the ball to a nearby teammate. The dribble was on the side of his body nearest the division line. The Lead who passed on the contact and probably couldn't see the dribble due to the player's body now blew the whistle and called a traveling violation.
Old Thu Dec 21, 2006, 12:27am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref
There was a rather unfortunate decision made by the Lead with 1:27 remaining in the 2nd half of the Texas/Arkansas game tonight.
Texas's Kevin Durrant caught the ball in the post with his back to the basket and made a spin move to his right towards the lane. There is contact with the defender and the defender goes down. Durrant tries to continue his move, but trips over the defender. HE CONTINUES HIS DRIBBLE as he falls to the floor in the lane. Just at the last moment he pushes the ball to a nearby teammate. The dribble was on the side of his body nearest the division line. The Lead who passed on the contact and probably couldn't see the dribble due to the player's body now blew the whistle and called a traveling violation.
At that point I'm getting the defender for a block...there was minimal contact, the defender flopped, and subsequently tripped the dribbler...and he was a dribbler all the way to the point he passed the ball...terrible call, IMO.
Old Thu Dec 21, 2006, 12:49am
Official Forum Member

Apparently, Dan_ref thought that I was unfairly picking on a D1 official and that I shouldn't be doing that. In reality, when I saw this play on TV it made me think of a recent thread on the forum. I just went and found it.

Interesting situation

All I was doing was continuing this discussion with an example from an NCAA game. In my opinion, this D1 official made a mistake. I even tried to explain why I believe he missed the call--the player's body screened him from seeing the dribble. No big deal, and of course, I make mistakes on the court too, but we certainly are allowed to discuss them and hopefully learn from them.

Last edited by bob jenkins; Thu Dec 21, 2006 at 08:51am.
Old Thu Dec 21, 2006, 08:54am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Apparently, Dan_ref thought that I was unfairly picking on a D1 official and that I shouldn't be doing that. In reality, when I saw this play on TV it made me think of a recent thread on the forum.
FWIW, my reaction to reading your original post was along the lines of Dan's -- I was unsure of the reason for the post, and isnce you didn't comment on any "learning" from the call it appeared that you were merely pointing out an error.
Old Thu Dec 21, 2006, 11:12am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Apparently, Dan_ref thought that I was unfairly picking on a D1 official and that I shouldn't be doing that.
No, I merely commented that I did not see the play and I do not accept your explanation of the play.

Sadly you reacted in a very uncivil manner and the exchange is gone now I see.
Old Thu Dec 21, 2006, 11:44am
Official Forum Member

Defender created a disadvantage to the offensive player. TWEET! Block. JMO. I didn't see the game though.

In reference to this thread though . . . did anyone watch the Oklahoma v. Ohio State game?

20-seconds left in the game, L calls a Team Control foul on OU's best player for an illegal screen, swish . . . 3-pt shot goes. No basket going the other way. I watched the play on TV and didn't agree with the call. Then I watched the replay and didn't agree with the call even more. Can anyone detail what this official might have seen that led him to make that particular call at that moment? Not trying to start anything either. He obviously saw something that caused him to blow his whistle, I just want to get feedback on something I may have overlooked.
Old Thu Dec 21, 2006, 12:16pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdogrunnin
Defender created a disadvantage to the offensive player. TWEET! Block. JMO. I didn't see the game though.

In reference to this thread though . . . did anyone watch the Oklahoma v. Ohio State game?

20-seconds left in the game, L calls a Team Control foul on OU's best player for an illegal screen, swish . . . 3-pt shot goes. No basket going the other way. I watched the play on TV and didn't agree with the call. Then I watched the replay and didn't agree with the call even more. Can anyone detail what this official might have seen that led him to make that particular call at that moment? Not trying to start anything either. He obviously saw something that caused him to blow his whistle, I just want to get feedback on something I may have overlooked.
He might have seen the player not set while making contact with the defender.
Old Thu Dec 21, 2006, 12:25pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins
FWIW, my reaction to reading your original post was along the lines of Dan's -- I was unsure of the reason for the post, and isnce you didn't comment on any "learning" from the call it appeared that you were merely pointing out an error.
He posted to (deleted by moderator) point out flaws in officials that have reached a level he may never get to. That was my take on this thread. I also do not just accept his position on this play.

Peace

Last edited by bob jenkins; Thu Dec 21, 2006 at 03:27pm.
Old Thu Dec 21, 2006, 01:11pm
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:
Maybe the official thought (late) that the original contact should've been a player control foul, and was looking for a way to give the ball to the defense. When the "funky" dribble/travel happened with a defender on the floor, he decided to call something before the situation got uglier.

I didn't see it. I have no idea what actually happened. I'm just thinking out loud.
Old Thu Dec 21, 2006, 01:31pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper1
Maybe the official thought (late) that the original contact should've been a player control foul, and was looking for a way to give the ball to the defense. When the "funky" dribble/travel happened with a defender on the floor, he decided to call something before the situation got uglier.

I didn't see it. I have no idea what actually happened. I'm just thinking out loud.
I had a similar situaton last week. I totally swallowed my whistle on an obvious push-off by ball-handler A1 at the 3-point line. But luckily for me on his next dribble he palmed the ball. I was all over that violation b/c it saved my a$$ from what would have been well deserved grief from Coach B.
Old Thu Dec 21, 2006, 03:16pm
Official Forum Member

Wow, it's kindergarten in here.

Dan and Rut jumped on him like there was no tomorrow and attempted to pick a fight, made fun of and belittled Neveda...I know, because my post in response to Dan acting like a jerk, was also deleted.

The hypocrisy that two posters, that state their opinion like it's the word of God constantly, can attack someone based on that reason is beyond funny.
Old Thu Dec 21, 2006, 03:24pm
Official Forum Member

I saw the play and here was my line of thinking while watching it unfold:
(contact and flop) good no call - obvious flop
(offensive player starts to stumble) - uh oh
(player falls while dribbling & whistle blows) - block / late but the right call(see lead signal travel) - ouch, that's not right
(head coach and bench jump up to complain) - I bet he wants that call back
(EPSN shows the replay) - put the ball back in play quickly......

btw, I know that official (he's very good) and he probably would tell you that he'd like to another chance to call that play.
Closed Thread