The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Dec 13, 2006, 03:30pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BktBallRef
No, it's not. But a foul is not determined by whether a round ball goes through a medal hoop or not. If I'm wrong, plus reference the rule so I can read it.

I'm not sure I said anything about whether it had to go through the hoop or not.
Old Wed Dec 13, 2006, 03:39pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
1) I beg to differ, but I also must say that your personal philosophy does not surprise me at all. Call fouls depending on how many fouls each team has been charged with at that particular time. Yup, heckuva idea.
That would be correct JR. It is our judgement and if I'm in between on an foul infraction, well if the team count is 9-1, it's not in between no more.

Peace
Old Wed Dec 13, 2006, 03:44pm
Official Forum Member

If you're in between on a foul, you shouldn't call it.

Only penalize clear violations of the rules. If it's iffy, it doesn't need to be called. And I don't believe in this trying to equalize the foul count BS, if it's a foul, when the count is 1-1, it's a foul when the count is 5-4 and it's a still a foul when the count is 9-1.

If it isn't a foul at 5-4 or 1-1 then I'm not calling it at 9-1.
Old Wed Dec 13, 2006, 04:07pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old School
That would be correct JR. It is our judgement and if I'm in between on an foul infraction, well if the team count is 9-1, it's not in between no more.
And your answer to my second question is?
Old Wed Dec 13, 2006, 04:20pm

I think you're trying to be too correct. I think the times where you are not sure you should blow your whistle or not, occurs quite often in the game. Have you ever made a call and wish you didn't blow. I know I have, just about every game. I'm not saying I call fouls based exclusively on foul counts. That is not what I said. However, if unsure on a given play, that imbalance might sway me to lend more towards it being an infraction or not. Again, we want to be consistent at both ends of the floor.
Old Wed Dec 13, 2006, 04:41pm
Official Forum Member

I let whether the basket is made inform my judgement on marginal contact.

Some contact clearly disadvantages a player and will always be called. Sometimes this player will be able to overcome the disadvantage and make a basket. He is rewarded with the "and 1."

Some contact is so trivial that it will never be called. Tough luck.

Some contact could go either way. For this contact, I look at the result to see what disadvantage might have occured. If I haven't determined within a second that the player was disadvantaged, I pass. If in that second something "bad" happens to the offended player (missed or ackward shot, interupted dribble, bad pass, etc.), I call the contact. If none of those things happen, what disadvantage has occured?

Now, on long shots you usually don't have the chance to see if it is good or not so you have to go with less information than you can go with in the post.
Old Wed Dec 13, 2006, 05:21pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ref18
If you're in between on a foul, you shouldn't call it.

Only penalize clear violations of the rules. If it's iffy, it doesn't need to be called. And I don't believe in this trying to equalize the foul count BS, if it's a foul, when the count is 1-1, it's a foul when the count is 5-4 and it's a still a foul when the count is 9-1.

I don't believe in evening up the foul count either, in fact I had a game last night where it was 7 to 0 at one point time, and it was just the plain fact that the team who had 7 were just murderers.

On that note though, I am still with old school. I do take the foul count into consideration on some plays. I'm sure you have all heard something similar to this on the floor: "Alright guys white has 6 and blue has 1, let's not make anything up but let's just make sure we don't miss one against blue"

So in that case that tells me if I have contact on something marginal it is not going to hurt me to take that play, especially in the first half when more than likely that foul is going to be the kids first(they have one foul overall)

The great official Dave Libbey said this and posed it as a question to a group of officials: "Do you think you can have the same play at different parts of the game, and call it differently and still be right?" To that he answered yes you could, and he was talking about situations like foul counts and the time of the game or the half.
Old Wed Dec 13, 2006, 05:30pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge
There is always going to be some contact in the game of basket. You cannot call everything a foul.

Peace

As for the original post, call the fouls and let the ticky tack stuff go. If he's hacked and makes it he deserved the "and 1!"
Old Wed Dec 13, 2006, 06:58pm
Official Forum Member

IMHO, a foul is a foul. If the contact is sufficient I'll call it and if I judge it incidental I won't - whether the attempt is successful or not.

And I really dislike the term "and 1" - undoubtedly coined by some announcer somewhere.
Old Wed Dec 13, 2006, 08:46pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimTaylor
And I really dislike the term "and 1" - undoubtedly coined by some announcer somewhere.
Actually, I think that you probably can blame some veteran NBA official back in prehistoric times- back in the late 50's and 60's. It's been around for a while. I can remember watching NBA games live when I was a teenager and hearing veteran officials like Joe Gushue and Mendy Rudolph using the term on court.
Old Wed Dec 13, 2006, 08:49pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
I can remember ...when I was a teenager.
You must have taken really good notes.
Old Wed Dec 13, 2006, 09:03pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan_ref
You must have taken really good notes.
And when I read 'em, I break out crying.

I missed the Sexual Revolution by that much!
Old Wed Dec 13, 2006, 09:11pm
Esteemed Participant

Quote:
And when I read 'em, I break out crying.

I missed the Sexual Revolution by that much!
Thank God for that!!! Can you imagine a bunch of little JR's running around the country??? Yikes...
Old Wed Dec 13, 2006, 09:18pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyroad
Thank God for that!!! Can you imagine a bunch of little JR's running around the country??? Yikes...
"Who's your Daddy?"
Old Wed Dec 13, 2006, 10:31pm
PYRef

Quote:
Originally Posted by ref18
As a newer official trying to get a feel for things, I'm agreeing with ref18 on this.
Being consistent is a pretty valuable attribute when trying to attain a level of respectability as an official. If I'm not calling a foul early on, I'm not calling the same thing late in the game just to even things up. If the foul count is way off, it's because you and your partner are calling them that way.