The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Dec 13, 2006, 03:24am
Official Forum Member

The "And 1"

I'm just wondering what everyone else's philosophy is regarding calling a foul if the basket goes in.

Personally, the way I call it is that if the basket goes in, there's no disadvantage to the shooter, and I'm not calling anything unless the contact completely unnecessary, or I don't realize the ball's going in the hoop.

So, I'm wondering how many of you guys call it like this, and how many will give the shooter the extra shot?
Old Wed Dec 13, 2006, 03:29am
Official Forum Member

I call solid contact that should not be ignored. I pass on minimal contact that didn't effect the play.

Essentially, call the obvious.
Old Wed Dec 13, 2006, 09:37am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to lukealex
So you will call a foul on a shot when the ball goes it, but if the EXACT SAME THING happens and the ball doesn't go in you won't call a foul??
Old Wed Dec 13, 2006, 09:43am
Official Forum Member

Or you will call a foul when the shot doesn't go in and NOTHING if the shot is made? A foul is foul...call it!
Old Wed Dec 13, 2006, 09:46am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEAREF
Or you will call a foul when the shot doesn't go in and NOTHING if the shot is made? A foul is foul...call it!
Haha that what I meant. Woops
Old Wed Dec 13, 2006, 09:57am
Official Forum Member

Not all contact is a foul.
Old Wed Dec 13, 2006, 10:04am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankHtown
Not all contact is a foul.
Yes, but this isn't the topic at hand. If contact is a foul on a missed shot, why is the same contact not a foul on a made shot?
Old Wed Dec 13, 2006, 10:10am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Nevadaref
I call solid contact that should not be ignored. I pass on minimal contact that didn't effect the play.

Essentially, call the obvious.
I agree with Nevadaref emphatically.
Old Wed Dec 13, 2006, 10:13am
Huck Finn

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishinRef
I agree with Nevadaref emphatically.
Me too!
Old Wed Dec 13, 2006, 10:17am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ref18
I'm just wondering what everyone else's philosophy is regarding calling a foul if the basket goes in.

Personally, the way I call it is that if the basket goes in, there's no disadvantage to the shooter, and I'm not calling anything unless the contact completely unnecessary, or I don't realize the ball's going in the hoop.

So, I'm wondering how many of you guys call it like this, and how many will give the shooter the extra shot?
I understand where you're coming from, but this might be too much of a generalization at the HS level. I think Nevada is on the right track. Get the obvious. I tend not to call too many "And 1" fouls. I very rarely call them in the post. If they can power it in, unless it's an obvious one, get the players up and down the floor.
Old Wed Dec 13, 2006, 10:29am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukealex
Yes, but this isn't the topic at hand. If contact is a foul on a missed shot, why is the same contact not a foul on a made shot?
Couldn't be the exact same contact. Do you understand advantage/disadvantage?

As I understand the point: obvious fouls should be called. Borderline fouls should be called depending on advantage/disadvantage. That is: if the foul prevents the shot/basket, then call it. Otherwise, don't slow down the game.

Last edited by mbyron; Wed Dec 13, 2006 at 10:32am.
Old Wed Dec 13, 2006, 10:34am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyron
Couldn't be the exact same contact. Do you understand advantage/disadvantage?

As I understand the point: obvious fouls should be called. Borderline fouls should be called depending on advantage/disadvantage. That is: if the foul prevents the shot/basket, then call it. Otherwise, we're just slowing down the game.
Of course I understand advantage/disadvantage, do you? I also agree with Nevada, but the first post implies a foul that should be called won't be called if the shot is made.

Yes, it could be the exact same contact.
Old Wed Dec 13, 2006, 10:48am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukealex
Of course I understand advantage/disadvantage, do you? I also agree with Nevada, but the first post implies a foul that should be called won't be called if the shot is made.

Yes, it could be the exact same contact.
You might be misreading the original post: see the "unless" clause.

I'm not sure what the poster means by "unnecessary" contact, but a charitable reading would use this to mark the distinction between obvious and borderline fouls.

That would make the OP consistent with the advice to call all obvious fouls (regardless of what happens to the shot), but leave the borderline fouls unless they disadvantage the shooter.

And, by "it couldn't be the same contact," I meant that the exact same contact in borderline fouls cannot both block the shot and allow it to go in. There's either disadvantage, or there isn't.
Old Wed Dec 13, 2006, 10:55am
Do not give a damn!!

There is always going to be some contact in the game of basket. You cannot call everything a foul.

Peace
Old Wed Dec 13, 2006, 11:18am
Keeper of the HAMMER

To me, if the contact makes the shot significantly more difficult, it's a foul whether the ball goes in or not. Frankly, I often don't know whether the shot falls or not (I pregame this with my partners) because after the whistle I'm watching the players. What constitutes "significant" is going to change with the level of play, and is for me to judge.