The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Dec 05, 2006, 02:24pm
Official Forum Member

Headband

Had a philosophical question come up before a boys game last night. One guy had a headband that was white with the "Air Jordan" logo on it.

Rule says that a manufacturer's logo is permissible. I said that the "Air Jordan" logo WAS a manufacturer's logo (as opposed to a team logo, number, or school mascot, for example), even though it wasn't the Nike swoosh. My mentor, who was my partner last night, left it up to me (I was R) but insinuated that the rules allow only the swoosh.

Your opinion?
Old Tue Dec 05, 2006, 02:28pm
Official Forum Member

Personally, I take the approach that if I can go to the store and purchase that item as it appears on the player (Air Jordan logo), then it is acceptable. I guess you could argue that it is a "brand" logo and not a "manufacturer" logo...sorta like Docker brand by Levi.

Local interpretations may vary...check with your assignor.
Old Tue Dec 05, 2006, 02:38pm
Official Forum Member

Why would an official worry about "brand name or logo" versus "manufacturer name or logo?" that is something exceedingly small to want to focus on. That said, I know what the rules are regarding uniform, but MJ has been his own product line for almost 20 years. It would seem to reason that he has his own logo. I like Larry's point of view . . . if I can buy one just like it at any store, then I will let it go.

Of course, I had two boys in a Varsity game last night that had BEADS intertwined in their hair. Asked them to take them out, and had no problems. One even wore a WHITE head band . . . no logo.
Old Tue Dec 05, 2006, 03:27pm
Official Forum Member

Now that is what I call nitpicking. I would have allowed it as a logo. I believe it is a separate offshoot of Nike actually. We have to keep enough change in Mike's pocket for the occasional wager. Besides that, why go looking for a reason to have a conflict before the game even starts?
Old Tue Dec 05, 2006, 03:34pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdogrunnin

Of course, I had two boys in a Varsity game last night that had BEADS intertwined in their hair. Asked them to take them out, and had no problems.
Just a point......

We can't ask a player to take their beads out. We can tell them that they can't play until they remove them, but we can't actually tell them to remove them. The NFHS has been quite explicit in their direction on this. If they want to sit on the bench for the whole game with beads in their hair, that's up to them.
Old Tue Dec 05, 2006, 03:51pm
Huck Finn

Nike sells headbands, shoes, etc.
Reebok sells headbands, shoes, etc.
Jordan Brand sells headbands, shoes, etc.

The NBA sells dreams

That is the difference to me.
Old Tue Dec 05, 2006, 04:16pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomegun
Nike sells headbands, shoes, etc.
Reebok sells headbands, shoes, etc.
Jordan Brand sells headbands, shoes, etc.

The NBA sells dreams

That is the difference to me.
We were actually told that the NBA logo is a manufacturer logo and is acceptable in HS games
Old Tue Dec 05, 2006, 04:35pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
Just a point......

We can't ask a player to take their beads out. We can tell them that they can't play until they remove them, but we can't actually tell them to remove them. The NFHS has been quite explicit in their direction on this. If they want to sit on the bench for the whole game with beads in their hair, that's up to them.
Really?

2006-07 NFHS Basketball Rules Interpretations
SITUATION 7: After playing for nearly three minutes, A1 is detected in the game wearing (a) a sweatband above the elbow, or (b) a headband around the neck. RULING: In both (a) and (b), A1 is instructed to remove the illegal item, make it legal or leave the game; he/she may not participate until in compliance with the rule. (3-5-3c; 3-5-4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryS
We were actually told that the NBA logo is a manufacturer logo and is acceptable in HS games
We were told the exact opposite.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Tue Dec 05, 2006, 04:53pm
Official Forum Member

For what it's worth, Jordan is its own brand and the jumpman is the Jordan brand's logo.
Old Tue Dec 05, 2006, 05:09pm
Official Forum Member

I also agree Air Jordan, Jordan, Jumpman are all manufacture names as well as NBA is there own brand. Even though generally someone like Nike will have the rights, NBA is still a listed manufacture.
Old Tue Dec 05, 2006, 05:13pm
Official Forum Member

Let it go and play ball!
Old Tue Dec 05, 2006, 05:17pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BktBallRef
Really?

SITUATION 7: After playing for nearly three minutes, A1 is detected in the game wearing (a) a sweatband above the elbow, or (b) a headband around the neck. RULING: In both (a) and (b), A1 is instructed to remove the illegal item, make it legal or leave the game; he/she may not participate until in compliance with the rule. (3-5-3c; 3-5-4)
I read this as giving the player the options - "either you remove the illegal item, or you must leave the game."
Old Tue Dec 05, 2006, 05:19pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BktBallRef
Really?

Could the difference be in the wearing of illegal items versus improperly worn, but legal, items.