The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Headband (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/29938-headband.html)

mbyron Tue Dec 05, 2006 02:24pm

Headband

Had a philosophical question come up before a boys game last night. One guy had a headband that was white with the "Air Jordan" logo on it.

Rule says that a manufacturer's logo is permissible. I said that the "Air Jordan" logo WAS a manufacturer's logo (as opposed to a team logo, number, or school mascot, for example), even though it wasn't the Nike swoosh. My mentor, who was my partner last night, left it up to me (I was R) but insinuated that the rules allow only the swoosh.

Your opinion?

LarryS Tue Dec 05, 2006 02:28pm

Personally, I take the approach that if I can go to the store and purchase that item as it appears on the player (Air Jordan logo), then it is acceptable. I guess you could argue that it is a "brand" logo and not a "manufacturer" logo...sorta like Docker brand by Levi.

Local interpretations may vary...check with your assignor. :)

bigdogrunnin Tue Dec 05, 2006 02:38pm

Why would an official worry about "brand name or logo" versus "manufacturer name or logo?" that is something exceedingly small to want to focus on. That said, I know what the rules are regarding uniform, but MJ has been his own product line for almost 20 years. It would seem to reason that he has his own logo. I like Larry's point of view . . . if I can buy one just like it at any store, then I will let it go.

Of course, I had two boys in a Varsity game last night that had BEADS intertwined in their hair. Asked them to take them out, and had no problems. One even wore a WHITE head band . . . no logo. ;)

Junker Tue Dec 05, 2006 03:27pm

Now that is what I call nitpicking. I would have allowed it as a logo. I believe it is a separate offshoot of Nike actually. We have to keep enough change in Mike's pocket for the occasional wager. ;) Besides that, why go looking for a reason to have a conflict before the game even starts?

Jurassic Referee Tue Dec 05, 2006 03:34pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigdogrunnin

Of course, I had two boys in a Varsity game last night that had BEADS intertwined in their hair. <font color = red>Asked them</font> to take them out, and had no problems.

Just a point......

We can't <b>ask</b> a player to take their beads out. We can tell them that they can't <b>play</b> until they remove them, but we can't actually tell them to remove them. The NFHS has been quite explicit in their direction on this. If they want to sit on the bench for the whole game with beads in their hair, that's up to them.

tomegun Tue Dec 05, 2006 03:51pm

Nike sells headbands, shoes, etc.
Reebok sells headbands, shoes, etc.
Jordan Brand sells headbands, shoes, etc.

The NBA sells dreams

That is the difference to me.

LarryS Tue Dec 05, 2006 04:16pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by tomegun
Nike sells headbands, shoes, etc.
Reebok sells headbands, shoes, etc.
Jordan Brand sells headbands, shoes, etc.

The NBA sells dreams

That is the difference to me.

We were actually told that the NBA logo is a manufacturer logo and is acceptable in HS games :D

BktBallRef Tue Dec 05, 2006 04:35pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
Just a point......

We can't ask a player to take their beads out. We can tell them that they can't play until they remove them, but we can't actually tell them to remove them. The NFHS has been quite explicit in their direction on this. If they want to sit on the bench for the whole game with beads in their hair, that's up to them.

Really? :p

2006-07 NFHS Basketball Rules Interpretations
SITUATION 7: After playing for nearly three minutes, A1 is detected in the game wearing (a) a sweatband above the elbow, or (b) a headband around the neck. RULING: In both (a) and (b), A1 is instructed to remove the illegal item, make it legal or leave the game; he/she may not participate until in compliance with the rule. (3-5-3c; 3-5-4)

Quote:

Originally Posted by LarryS
We were actually told that the NBA logo is a manufacturer logo and is acceptable in HS games :D

We were told the exact opposite. :D

Smitty Tue Dec 05, 2006 04:53pm

For what it's worth, Jordan is its own brand and the jumpman is the Jordan brand's logo.

jcarter Tue Dec 05, 2006 05:09pm

I also agree Air Jordan, Jordan, Jumpman are all manufacture names as well as NBA is there own brand. Even though generally someone like Nike will have the rights, NBA is still a listed manufacture.

refnrev Tue Dec 05, 2006 05:13pm

Let it go and play ball!

Mark Dexter Tue Dec 05, 2006 05:17pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BktBallRef

SITUATION 7: After playing for nearly three minutes, A1 is detected in the game wearing (a) a sweatband above the elbow, or (b) a headband around the neck. RULING: In both (a) and (b), A1 is instructed to remove the illegal item, make it legal or leave the game; he/she may not participate until in compliance with the rule. (3-5-3c; 3-5-4)

I read this as giving the player the options - "either you remove the illegal item, or you must leave the game."

Camron Rust Tue Dec 05, 2006 05:19pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BktBallRef

Could the difference be in the wearing of illegal items versus improperly worn, but legal, items.