The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Nov 22, 2005, 08:31am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
The new NCAA rule about headbands is that they have to match the predominant color of the jersey. Somebody told me yesterday that there's been a modification to that rule. Now, white is legal regardless of the color of the jersey. Where is the bulletin posted? I'd like to take a look at it.
Old Tue Nov 22, 2005, 09:01am
Official Forum Member

Chuck, I can't answer your question off the top of my head but would like to add another question for those who'll be coming along shortly to offer their answers.....last night we had a girl on the home team who had black hair come out with a black headband. One of my partners was pretty adament so we had her take it off. I know the rule but because it blended with her hair I didn't have an issue. Do I need to change my thinking here?
Old Tue Nov 22, 2005, 09:09am
In Memoriam

Chuckles, it's on the new NCAA website with all the other interpretations, etc. Good site. I thought you'd be up on it. Anthoo........it's a one-year OK from the NCAA- both Mens and Womens- to use white headbands and wristbands. They're having a dye problem from some uniform suppliers. Must be having trouble matching that special Carolina blue.

Here's the site-- free log-in but you need to register.

http://www.eofficials.com

FINALLY got the right url...

[Edited by Jurassic Referee on Nov 22nd, 2005 at 09:15 AM]
Old Tue Nov 22, 2005, 09:15am
Official Forum Member

I got an email about it, but I must have deleted it. The link you provide can't be found, JR. Are you sure you typed it right?
Old Tue Nov 22, 2005, 09:17am
In Memoriam

Got it right now. Register, log-in and then hit Men's basketball. You'll see the bulletins listed.
Old Tue Nov 22, 2005, 09:30am
Official Forum Member

if you don't want to register, here is what it says:

2005-2006 Bulletins/Interpretations
Headband and Wristband Interpretation
Institutions have reported that uniform manufacturers are having difficulties matching the dye for headbands and wristbands to certain dominant colors of institutional game jerseys. Consequently, for this year, an addendum to Rule 3-5.15 and Rule 3-5.16 has been added which permits white headbands and wristbands to be worn when the dominant color of the game jersey cannot be matched.

Ed Bilik
Barbara Jacobs
November 16, 2005

Old Tue Nov 22, 2005, 09:46am
Official Forum Member

Thanks. Got it. Here's one that I'd like the FED to adopt:

Interpretation for Rule 2-5.1g: When a game clock with a 10th-of-a-second display is in use and the official blows the whistle, signals for the game clock to be stopped, and in his/her judgment one second or less has elapsed before the official timer stopped the game clock, the official shall instruct the official timer to put the correct time on the game clock.

Interpretation for Rule 2-6.2: When a game clock with a 10th-of-a-second display is in use and the official blows the whistle, signals for the game clock to be stopped, and has definite knowledge that one second or less has elapsed before the official timer stopped the game clock, the official shall instruct the official timer to put the correct time on the game clock.
Old Tue Nov 22, 2005, 09:51am
Official Forum Member

Please read the fine print on that bulletin. It is only saying that white headbands and wrist bands or okay when the dominant color of the uniform CANNOT be MATCHED. That means that if Player A whose team is wearing green jerseys has a green headband on, Teamate B CANNOT wear a white one. My interp says that all players on the same team must still all wear the same color headbands and wristbands.
Old Tue Nov 22, 2005, 10:11am
Official Forum Member

Agreed. They all wear the dominant color or they all wear white. Good point.