The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Dec 05, 2006, 01:00pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan_ref
errr....maybe because some of them don't know the HS rules well enough?
While I can understand your sentiments, how is this different than a ref who works 10 HS games because their day job has them traveling out-of-town half the season? Would you have the same attititude? The state says 10 is enough, it is none of our business why they only work the minimum. If the state wanted 3-games-per-week HS refs, they'd change the minimum to 20 or more.
Old Tue Dec 05, 2006, 01:17pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust
While I can understand your sentiments, how is this different than a ref who works 10 HS games because their day job has them traveling out-of-town half the season? Would you have the same attititude? The state says 10 is enough, it is none of our business why they only work the minimum. If the state wanted 3-games-per-week HS refs, they'd change the minimum to 20 or more.
Camron, I think what the state actually wants is their HS officials to know the damn rules.

Scrapie seems to believe it's OK if you don't know the rules but look good.
Old Tue Dec 05, 2006, 01:29pm
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:
Camron, I think what the state actually wants is their HS officials to know the damn rules.

I said 2 things.

1) It's understandable if a college official who works few HS games forgets a rule difference.

2) It makes no sense to keep a college official who works few HS games out of the post-season, solely because he does the minimum number of games required to be eligible.

Those 2 statements do NOT imply that a college official who does not know the most basic NFHS rules should work the HS post-season. Or are you just busting my stones?
Old Tue Dec 05, 2006, 01:47pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper1
I said 2 things.

1) It's understandable if a college official who works few HS games forgets a rule difference.

2) It makes no sense to keep a college official who works few HS games out of the post-season, solely because he does the minimum number of games required to be eligible.

Those 2 statements do NOT imply that a college official who does not know the most basic NFHS rules should work the HS post-season. Or are you just busting my stones?
Warning - sweeping generalization ahead
It makes sense because they are clearly not dedicated to the high school game. They are only spending just enough time to get the glory of working the playoffs. If they've moved on to the college ranks, move all the way on. Give the playoff spots to officials who are dedicated to working the high school game not the ones dedicated to just good assignments.
Old Tue Dec 05, 2006, 01:49pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastshire
It makes sense because they are clearly not dedicated to the high school game. They are only spending just enough time to get the glory of working the playoffs. If they've moved on to the college ranks, move all the way on. Give the playoff spots to officials who are dedicated to working the high school game not the ones dedicated to just good assignments.
Then the state association should change their rules.
Old Tue Dec 05, 2006, 02:31pm
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastshire
It makes sense because they are clearly not dedicated to the high school game.
You have now moved from saying that this particular official in the original post didn't know the rule to saying that ALL college officials should get out of the high school post-season because they are not dedicated to "the high school game".

Anybody besides me think that doesn't sound quite right?
Old Tue Dec 05, 2006, 02:45pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

I'm with you, Scrapper. At least on this.
Old Tue Dec 05, 2006, 02:46pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Don't take this the wrong way but how can someone be working the d league and/or wnba and NOT know what the ruling is on a wedged ball?

I'll agree that keeping track of the latest T rules every year between ncaa & fed is a pain, which is why I spend 2 or 3 minutes reviewing them during pregame. Maybe you should.
In the pros it is a jump ball between any two players in the game at the center circle.
Old Tue Dec 05, 2006, 03:51pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by btaylor64
You are still allowed to work anything you want if you work in the WNBA and the NBA D-League. Don't forget about semi-pro and pro-ams in the summer as well. I have to keep up with these rulesets for now as I work and will be working with all these rules.
Are you currently working in both the WNBA and the NBA D-League?
Old Tue Dec 05, 2006, 05:05pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Sorry, my reply (although entered as if in response to your post) was really a reply to Eastshire's assertions regarding working multiple levels and making the HS playoffs.

I'm not so sure that Srapper1 is really suggesting that...just offering a plausable explanation for the error.

Also, why would someone working only 10 games be a reason for not knowing the rules. I know guys that work 40+ games a season that don't know the rules. The number of games worked is at best only remotely connected to knowing the rules.
Old Tue Dec 05, 2006, 05:29pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
You have now moved from saying that this particular official in the original post didn't know the rule to saying that ALL college officials should get out of the high school post-season because they are not dedicated to "the high school game".

Anybody besides me think that doesn't sound quite right?
You think it's right to give post-season assignments to people who only deign to work high school games to the extent that it makes them eligable for the post-season? Rather, shouldn't those assignments go to those individuals who work hard all season in the trenches focusing on the high school game?

Part of the reason getting and retaining new officials is so difficult is because of the lack of opportunities available. Situtations like these where people with interest in nothing but the post-season taking both regular season and post season assignments from other people galls me.

Now, I don't have an issue with someone working a balanced schedule, but at the point where you are only working the minimum to get a tourney assignment for the sole reason of getting the tourney assignment, you should just leave the work to those who are willing to focus on the high school game.
Old Tue Dec 05, 2006, 05:35pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
Are you currently working in both the WNBA and the NBA D-League?

No, but he does work in . . . wait for it . . . the SEC!!

(Sorry - I couldn't resist)
Old Tue Dec 05, 2006, 06:04pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Dexter
No, but he does work in . . . wait for it . . . the SEC!!

(Sorry - I couldn't resist)
LOL.....memory like a dextering elephant!
Old Tue Dec 05, 2006, 09:30pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I said 2 things.

Well geeze scrapolla, the OP claimed he kicked not 1 but 2 easy rules calls in 1 HS game. Then shrugged & mumbled something about life is too rough for us d-league guys to have to bother with keeping HS rules straight. If you don't have the mental capacity to keep your rules straight then take some nights off.

Am I busting your stones? In the context of THIS thread you deserve to get your stones busted if you innocently chime in that working a minimum number of HS games should be sufficient for post season work.

and btw...I don't really believe you think it's understandable for any one person to get *2* rules wrong in *1* game. Not for 1 second do I believe that. I know you much better than that my anonymous friend.

Last edited by Dan_ref; Tue Dec 05, 2006 at 09:34pm.
Old Tue Dec 05, 2006, 09:32pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by btaylor64
In the pros it is a jump ball between any two players in the game at the center circle.
Ahhh, right, of course...and that led you to decide it's a violation in the HS rules. Right.

Understandable....