Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Dec 05, 2006, 09:39pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust
Sorry, my reply (although entered as if in response to your post) was really a reply to Eastshire's assertions regarding working multiple levels and making the HS playoffs.

I'm not so sure that Srapper1 is really suggesting that...just offering a plausable explanation for the error.
Stop it. There is no plausible explanation for getting 2 (!!!) rules wrong in 1 game. None at all.
Quote:

Also, why would someone working only 10 games be a reason for not knowing the rules. I know guys that work 40+ games a season that don't know the rules. The number of games worked is at best only remotely connected to knowing the rules.
So you're in favor of officials not knowing the rules?

I'll remember that next time you b!tch someone out for asking to see the latest test answers.
Old Wed Dec 06, 2006, 12:31am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan_ref
Ahhh, right, of course...and that led you to decide it's a violation in the HS rules. Right.

Understandable....
Well the partner I had led me into it. He said that he thought it was a violation like on a throw in and I said yeah you're probably right, but I should have known better.
Old Wed Dec 06, 2006, 02:28am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Stop it. There is no plausible explanation for getting 2 (!!!) rules wrong in 1 game. None at all.
I've messed up a rule in a game on more than one occassion....and I knew it after I thought about it and reviewed it....and I consider myself highly knowledgeable regarding the rules. It may not happen often but it happens....it may even happen twice in one game.
Quote:

So you're in favor of officials not knowing the rules?

I'll remember that next time you b!tch someone out for asking to see the latest test answers.
Hardly...just that the number of games worked and the other levels the official works have little to nothing to do with no knowing the applicable rules. Either they study the rules and know them or they don't.

Last edited by Camron Rust; Wed Dec 06, 2006 at 02:50pm.
Old Wed Dec 06, 2006, 02:50am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by btaylor64
In the pros it is a jump ball between any two players in the game at the center circle.
Exactly the same as in HS and College rules, a jump ball situation where we use the alternating possession arrow instead.
Old Wed Dec 06, 2006, 07:21am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Well the partner I had led me into it. He said that he thought it was a violation like on a throw in and I said yeah you're probably right, but I should have known better.
You must have missed my question.

Are you currently working both in the WNBA and the NBA D-League? That's what you seemed to imply.

Just wondering....
Old Wed Dec 06, 2006, 09:00am
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:
Well geeze scrapolla, the OP claimed he kicked not 1 but 2 easy rules calls in 1 HS game. Then shrugged & mumbled something about life is too rough for us d-league guys to have to bother with keeping HS rules straight. If you don't have the mental capacity to keep your rules straight then take some nights off.
I absolutely agree. I didn't say it was "ok" to miss the rule. I just said that I understand how it happens (especially early in the season) when you're only working 10 or 12 high school games a year. If you were to propose that missing 2 rules in one game should disqualify you from high school post-season work, I'm not sure that I would disagree. But I think you might disqualify more "high school" officials than "college" officials.

Quote:
In the context of THIS thread you deserve to get your stones busted if you innocently chime in that working a minimum number of HS games should be sufficient for post season work.
I never said that. I said that working the minimum number of HS games should NOT be a sufficient reason for being excluded from post-season work.

Quote:
I don't really believe you think it's understandable for any one person to get *2* rules wrong in *1* game. Not for 1 second do I believe that. I know you much better than that my anonymous friend.
I don't think it's acceptable. But I understand how it might happen. I would have no problem with an assignor pulling high school games from a "college" official who can't keep the rulesets straight.
Old Wed Dec 06, 2006, 09:30am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper1
I absolutely agree. I didn't say it was "ok" to miss the rule. I just said that I understand how it happens (especially early in the season) when you're only working 10 or 12 high school games a year. If you were to propose that missing 2 rules in one game should disqualify you from high school post-season work, I'm not sure that I would disagree. But I think you might disqualify more "high school" officials than "college" officials.

I never said that. I said that working the minimum number of HS games should NOT be a sufficient reason for being excluded from post-season work.

I don't think it's acceptable. But I understand how it might happen. I would have no problem with an assignor pulling high school games from a "college" official who can't keep the rulesets straight.
That's all I needed to hear from you - we agree it's bad for anyone to miss 2 easy rules calls in a game.

The side issue which you brought up about college officials working the minimum number of HS games so they can take playoff spots away from the guys who work 30+ HS games a year is not worth arguing. It happens and is going to continue to happen. But I don't accept that as an excuse for the OP not knowing the rules.
Old Wed Dec 06, 2006, 10:52am
Esteemed Participant

[QUOTE=Eastshire]You think it's right to give post-season assignments to people who only deign to work high school games to the extent that it makes them eligable for the post-season? Rather, shouldn't those assignments go to those individuals who work hard all season in the trenches focusing on the high school game?

[QUOTE]

So you think it's right to give post season games to someone just because they work lots of HS games - regardless of how good an official (or bad) they might be? Some of those "in the trenches" and "foucusing on the HS game" are there because they aren't good enough to do anything else and the HS groups need bodies...so we should pass up an official who is very good because he/she only did a certain number of games, and give that play-off spot to someone who might be not as good an official? Howinthehell does THAT help the game any??
Old Wed Dec 06, 2006, 11:00am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
You must have missed my question.

Are you currently working both in the WNBA and the NBA D-League? That's what you seemed to imply.

Just wondering....
No I do not and if I did I would not tell anybody, for the mere fact that I have read previous post of men who are now in the D-League and/or NBA and their reception was not to kind what so ever, even though everything they said was pretty much dead on.
Old Wed Dec 06, 2006, 11:53am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyroad
So you think it's right to give post season games to someone just because they work lots of HS games - regardless of how good an official (or bad) they might be? Some of those "in the trenches" and "foucusing on the HS game" are there because they aren't good enough to do anything else and the HS groups need bodies...so we should pass up an official who is very good because he/she only did a certain number of games, and give that play-off spot to someone who might be not as good an official? Howinthehell does THAT help the game any??

No, to people who are good and work a lot of high school games. It doesn't help the game to bring in ringers from the college game to call high school. Not all of the good officials work college ball. Not all of the good officials want to work college ball. Plenty of good officials are happier to toil away in the high school ranks.

It's a high school assignment. Give it to a high school official. By all means give it to a good high school official, but don't give it to a college officials. College officials aren't the demi-gods of refereeing they are treated like; they are just the guys that are willing to give up more family time to the game than the high school guys.
Old Wed Dec 06, 2006, 12:01pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastshire
No, to people who are good and work a lot of high school games. It doesn't help the game to bring in ringers from the college game to call high school. Not all of the good officials work college ball. Not all of the good officials want to work college ball. Plenty of good officials are happier to toil away in the high school ranks.

It's a high school assignment. Give it to a high school official. By all means give it to a good high school official, but don't give it to a college officials. College officials aren't the demi-gods of refereeing they are treated like; they are just the guys that are willing to give up more family time to the game than the high school guys.
Relax my friend, take it easy.
Old Wed Dec 06, 2006, 12:24pm
Esteemed Participant

Quote:

Bullsh!t...so if I worked 14 HS games last year and 30 college games then I shouldn't get any HS post-season because I didn't concentrate ONLY on HS ball??? That makes no sense, and quite frankly sounds like the frustrated rantings of someone who got passed over for a HS post-season assignment that went to an official who also works college ball...
Old Wed Dec 06, 2006, 12:31pm
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:
College officials aren't the demi-gods of refereeing they are treated like
Let's see. When was the last time I was treated like a demi-god? Was it at the juco game where I changed with the players? Nooooo. Was it at the D3 school where I was locked out of the locker room for 20 minutes before the game? Nooooooo. Maybe it was the game where I had to walk a quarter-mile and up 3 flights of stairs from the locker room to the gym floor. Nooooo. Not there, either.

Eastshire, if I'm wrong, I apologize in advance, but I'm sensing a lot of hostility in your posts about college offcials. We're not trying or claiming to be demi-gods. But I also don't expect to be discriminated against simply because I've worked my butt off to get better and move beyond the HS ranks.
Old Wed Dec 06, 2006, 01:34pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
No I do not and if I did I would not tell anybody, for the mere fact that I have read previous post of men who are now in the D-League and/or NBA and their reception was not to kind what so ever, even though everything they said was pretty much dead on.
I was just wondering because you said that you had to keep up with all the rulesets because you would be working all of them. I kinda got the impression from your post too that the vast majority of your games were played under pro and NCAA rules, and that's why you knew those rules so much better. Musta misunderstood you.

Just for the record, and you certainly don't have to answer, are most of your games currently NCAA university games or semi-pro games, seeing that you've gone past the high school level? Just wondering which one of those you do more of.
Old Wed Dec 06, 2006, 01:51pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
One of my best friends and mentors has a double digit D1 schedule plus various other college assignments yet he's still willing to jump in the car with me to drive 200 miles one-way for a $75 JuCo game. And he still works an average of 2 HS games a week.

But by your logic he shouldn't work post-season HS assignments just because his number 1 allegiance is to his college supervisors? That makes no sense to me at all.

Last edited by Raymond; Wed Dec 06, 2006 at 02:03pm.