The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Dec 01, 2006, 12:19pm
Official Forum Member

Schools here can"t start until the Monday after Thanksgiving. Tonight is number 5 for me this week - one more tomorrow. Next week I've got 7 on the calendar, 5 so far the week after that. Lots of preseason tournaments this time of year....
Old Fri Dec 01, 2006, 12:31pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blindzebra
How is that even possible?

You must be doing 3 or 4 games a night. Plus a bunch on Sat.
Monday (JH, Sub-Var.), Tuesday (Sub-Var., Varsity), Wednesday (Sometimes JH, Christian HS), Thursday (JH; Sub-Var. & Varsity Tournaments), Friday (Sub-Var., Varsity; JH, Sub-Var. & Varsity Tournaments), Saturday (ALL Levels - Games and Tournaments).

I average about 10-11 Games per week throughout the season - 4-6 JH, 2-4 Sub. Var., and 2-4 Varsity. For the 22 Games: 4 on Monday, 2 on Tuesday, 3 on Wednesday, 6 on Thursday, 2 on Friday, and 5 on Saturday. Again, LONG week! I have run that schedule about 5-6 times in the past 2 years.
Old Fri Dec 01, 2006, 12:43pm
Official Forum Member

First V is next Tuesday. Had lots of JH and some JV. Main concern is getting 3whistle mechanics down. Been a while and I'm rusty on them and have never worked with these two guys. Also takes me the first few minutes of first quarter to adjust to the speed and get the rhythm down. Looking forward to it but I'm sure I'll have the butterflies on the way up. If it turns out to be a girls game when I get there, I'll have a lot fewer.

Last edited by refnrev; Fri Dec 01, 2006 at 12:57pm.
Old Fri Dec 01, 2006, 12:54pm
Official Forum Member

Question ?????

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdogrunnin
4 on Monday, 2 on Tuesday, 3 on Wednesday, 6 on Thursday, 2 on Friday, and 5 on Saturday. Again, LONG week! I have run that schedule about 5-6 times in the past 2 years.
6 games on a Thursday? At an hour per game minimum, 10 minutes between games and starting at 4PM that means you finish after 11PM?

I couldn't even get that schedule around here if I wanted it. There just aren't that many games to pick from on a given day, unless I could be in more than one place at a time.

>200 per season? If I worked 2 games every day but Sundays, I would only get 168 games at best.

Last edited by Hartsy; Fri Dec 01, 2006 at 12:58pm.
Old Fri Dec 01, 2006, 01:29pm
Official Forum Member

We have at least 7 weekend in which we have an average of 2-3 tournaments per weekend. I can call about 6 games on Saturdays for each one (42 Games total). Plus I will take days off (usually 4-5) during the week to work tournament games as well (4-6 games/day, total of 24-30). Add to that JH games (usually 2-4 each Monday and Tuesday) and every Tuesday and Friday we have F, JV, and Varsity games. 16 week season (give or take) and I have about 120 "regular games." Put it all together and I end up with about 200 games.
Old Fri Dec 01, 2006, 04:30pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junker
I had my first V girl/boy double header Tuesday night. Before that I had a week of JV/V girls that was less than exciting. Tuesday night was a blast though. Both games were decided with less than a minute to go. Coaches and players did a great job of listening. Besides no hot water in the lockeroom afterwards, it was a great night out. Hopefully tonight will be the same. We have 2 pretty decent 3A schools.
The lack of hot water must be an Iowa thing. There are a couple of places I work here in the eastern part of the state that never seem to have it. I have worked 8 or 9 JH games and a Soph game so far. Varsity is just getting started, I have my first Varsity game Tuesday night. Girls, two pretty mediocre 4A teams but evenly matched. Several Girl/Boy Varsity doubles coming up before Christmas. The next three weeks will be really busy.