The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   First Game of the Season (HS) (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/29810-first-game-season-hs.html)

IREFU2 Fri Dec 01, 2006 07:56am

First Game of the Season (HS)

Well, tonight if my first game of the season, High School Varsity and Ive got some butterflies!!!! But as the day goes on, I should be okay. Anybody else starting tonight?:D

Ref in PA Fri Dec 01, 2006 08:29am

My varsity schedule gets going tonight and tomorrow with a Boys tip off tournment at Seneca Valley. Yes, I am looking forward to a good year.

Raymond Fri Dec 01, 2006 08:32am

Quote:

Originally Posted by IREFU2
Well, tonight if my first game of the season, High School Varsity and Ive got some butterflies!!!! But as the day goes on, I should be okay. Anybody else starting tonight?:D

Well Rob, my first HS game isn't until Tuesday when I work with you, so I know you'll carry me through. :p

REFVA Fri Dec 01, 2006 09:23am

I've done private schools last two weeks, tonight I'm doing a Varsity boys. I got butterflies too. It's funny, I've done boys in the spring, summer and fall HS. It's just not the same. It means something tonight

BEAREF Fri Dec 01, 2006 09:29am

My first too!

Tonight is my first game of the season also. The game is between two schools that I've never had before and working with a new partner also. He's a veteran official...I've just never worked with him before. I'm looking forward to the season getting started.

Good luck to everyone that has a game tonight! :D

bigdogrunnin Fri Dec 01, 2006 09:55am

Where are all of you located? As of this weekend, I will have called about 80 games, including 16 Varsity Games (12 Girls, 4 Boys). I guess I am surprised at how late you all are getting started.

Raymond Fri Dec 01, 2006 10:07am

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigdogrunnin
Where are all of you located? As of this weekend, I will have called about 80 games, including 16 Varsity Games (12 Girls, 4 Boys). I guess I am surprised at how late you are are getting started.

In my region of the world:

Fall: middle school girls, games usually start around 3:30 (can't do b/c of j.o.b.)

Boys middle schools/Private HS's: start towards the end of November, same time as public HS school scrimmages

Public HS's: regular season starts today, Dec. 1st.

IREFU2 Fri Dec 01, 2006 10:26am

Quote:

Originally Posted by BadNewsRef
Well Rob, my first HS game isn't until Tuesday when I work with you, so I know you'll carry me through. :p

Nope you are the man.......I will let you handle everything.

IREFU2 Fri Dec 01, 2006 10:29am

Quote:

Where are all of you located? As of this weekend, I will have called about 80 games, including 16 Varsity Games (12 Girls, 4 Boys). I guess I am surprised at how late you are are getting started.

80 Games???? You check is going to be Mucho Grande!!!!!

bigdogrunnin Fri Dec 01, 2006 10:35am

The pay is OK. I will call about 200 games by the end of the season. Maybe a little more, maybe a few less. I am averaging about 220 games per season over the past 2 years. I like the extra money (NO DOUBT), but I REALLY enjoy being on the floor calling games.

Here in Texas girls start the first week of November, boy start a week later. I will run HS game until the end of February.

PIAA REF Fri Dec 01, 2006 10:37am

I'm Ready

Kick it off tonight with a varsity boys game in a tip off tourney then follow it up with the championship tommorrow. I love this time of year.

blindzebra Fri Dec 01, 2006 11:34am

Had 7 holiday tourney games last week.

First regular season games were Mon, Tue, Thurs of this week...had to cover the freshman game on Tue and Thur...tournament game tonight, 2 more tomorrow.

That adds up to 15 games already...WOW! No wonder I'm sore.:D

I have 8 more games next week between 3 nights of HS and 2 nights of MS ball.

bigdogrunnin Fri Dec 01, 2006 11:52am

Most games in ONE week was 22. JH - 8 games, Sub-Var. - 8 games, and Varsity - 6 games. LONG week. Of course there was the 16 games in FOUR days at a college camp I went to once. Now, THAT was fun. ;)

Junker Fri Dec 01, 2006 11:52am

I had my first V girl/boy double header Tuesday night. Before that I had a week of JV/V girls that was less than exciting. Tuesday night was a blast though. Both games were decided with less than a minute to go. Coaches and players did a great job of listening. Besides no hot water in the lockeroom afterwards, it was a great night out. Hopefully tonight will be the same. We have 2 pretty decent 3A schools.

blindzebra Fri Dec 01, 2006 12:11pm

Quote:

Most games in ONE week was 22. JH - 8 games, Sub-Var. - 8 games, and Varsity - 6 games. LONG week. Of course there was the 16 games in FOUR days at a college camp I went to once. Now, THAT was fun. ;)

How is that even possible?

You must be doing 3 or 4 games a night. Plus a bunch on Sat.