The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Dec 07, 2000, 09:47pm
Official Forum Member

Unhappy

First two girls games (JV/V) tonight (I was visiting book), and already two blowouts - 19-73 and 15-82.

Also experienced tonight:
(1) Fans who (surprise) still don't know the rules! My favorite was the "over and back" call during one of those funky dribbles into the frontcourt (apparently they don't know the 3pt rule).
(2) Confusion about 30 second timeouts, although the rule hasn't really changed other than the length.
(3) "That's a foul!" on incidental/non-existant contact.

Quick question: Several times during the JV game, the officials were having the players take throw-ins right under the basket. Should I have said anything? If so, to whom, where, and when?

Here's to a season that can only get better!
Mark Dexter
Old Fri Dec 08, 2000, 10:26am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Dexter
Quick question: Several times during the JV game, the officials were having the players take throw-ins right under the basket. Should I have said anything? If so, to whom, where, and when?

Here's to a season that can only get better!
Mark Dexter
Yes. To the officials. After the game.

ANd, to address the question you didn't ask (how): by asking your own questions -- "Nice game. How long have you been officiating?" If the answer is, "This is my first game," then ask if they want some feedback and nicely point out the correct mechanic. If the answer is, "Naismith came to me for advice," then reply, "Can I ask you a question? I've seen some officials put the ball in play at the lane line extended, while you put it in under the basket. When do you do each?" Let them come to their own conclusion.