The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Apr 20, 2002, 02:37pm
Official Forum Member

Smile

Today was the first day of the season for one of the leagues my organization does in brooklyn, NY. I was assigned a 13-14 year old game. I worked the plate, it was the first time i worked the plate since August. I am not going to lie I was rusty. Mechanics were good but I wasnt calling to my potential.

One team in particualr didnt like it that I wasnt giving a low strike. This is outside ball we are playing the ball is clearly passing under the batters knees and they are expecting a strike. There were some border line pitches that could of went both ways but the catcher couldnt hold on to em on some occasions there were some that were a little bit under the knees and could of went both ways he was cathcing em with the web of the glove towards the ground. I didnt give it. The catcher would also set up outside sometimes to frame the outside pitch, on some pitches he would move his glove so obviously trying to bring it in the zone, the coaches wanted the call they didnt get it once the whole game, the ball was clearly off the plate that is reason why he had to try to bring his glove in to frame it.

We play with ties in this league and the score was 8 to 6 the losing team was up in the last inning they came back and tied it up they then had bases loaded with 1 out ball hit to pitcher the pitcher throws back to the catcher who foot just touches the the edge of the plate facing towards third and then throws out the kid at first. The coach from the team who was just up comes running out of the first base dugout and says his foot wasnt even near the plate. 1. he didnt even have an angle on it. 2. it was raining a lot during the game and mud was covering the plate and was hard for him to see his foot touch the white of the plate. I am not going to lie it was a extremely close play but he just grazed the corner of the plate with the tip of his shoe. The right call was made.

I admit to making the game get a little out of hand, i let the coach from one team who wanted to low strike question many of my calls behind the plate. I should of put an end to it early and given a warning. I dug my own grave.