The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Nov 30, 2006, 08:03pm
In Memoriam

Buh-Bye!

For the answer to a recent thread asking what the signal for a flagrant personal foul is, please note the following:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z2ZuIXI1VgM
Old Thu Nov 30, 2006, 09:15pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
For the answer to a recent thread asking what the signal for a flagrant personal foul is, please note the following:

Very good. Toward the end of the video the K-state guy with hair that looks like a weapon? If he pokes someone in the eye with one of those spikes he should be gone too!
Old Thu Nov 30, 2006, 09:21pm

With the ding-dong decision by the ejected Kansas state player to hit that kid and the ding-dong hairdo of the other Kansas state player it makes you wonder who their coach is now. Oh. Wait. It's Bob Huggins. The whole picture makes sense now
Old Fri Dec 01, 2006, 01:30am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
you know, it's interesting to see it from the different angles. At the beginning, it looks like some rough out of control play, but the replay from the angle of the calling ref, it really does look like a punch. Since the player didn't complain about the call, I expect it was more intentional than not, but I just noticed that it did look very different from one angle than another.
Old Fri Dec 01, 2006, 02:25am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by missinglink
Toward the end of the video the K-state guy with hair that looks like a weapon? If he pokes someone in the eye with one of those spikes he should be gone too!
Yeah, my first thought too was that haircut had to be some kind of "T". And if it wasn't, it sureashell should be.

Maybe you could send him out of the game for being dangerous--poke somebody's eye out or sumthin'?
Old Fri Dec 01, 2006, 04:35am
Official Forum Member

Why was Colon given a technical here, the foul was clearly a flagrant personal foul because the ball was live. Am I missing something here?
Old Fri Dec 01, 2006, 07:53am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to IREFU2 Send a message via Yahoo to IREFU2
Quote:

Oh yeah, he is out of there. Question though (NFHS), do the officials have to report that someone was tossed or is it up to the coach?
Old Fri Dec 01, 2006, 08:10am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by IREFU2
Oh yeah, he is out of there. Question though (NFHS), do the officials have to report that someone was tossed or is it up to the coach?
That's completely a local issue afaik. Each state/league usually has it's own procedure to follow on all ejections.
Old Fri Dec 01, 2006, 08:21am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
In Missouri, the official (s) must file a report.
Old Fri Dec 01, 2006, 08:36am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

A bit theatrical, IMHO. In FIBA there is a proper signal for a disqualifying foul (personal or technical): raise both arms with the closed fist.

I remember a similar "signal" by Earl Strom when he ejected Boston Celtic's coach Bill Fitch (seen on TV so many years ago).

Ciao
Old Fri Dec 01, 2006, 08:37am
Official Forum Member

The announcers did a nice job: "It's a technical," "It's intentional," and finally, "It's flagrant."

I don't know NCAA, but I'm fairly confident that only one of those is correct.
Old Fri Dec 01, 2006, 08:42am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
In our case Rob, yes we have to call Nelson immediately after the game. I've had to do that once in my short career.
Old Fri Dec 01, 2006, 09:08am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMEngmann
Why was Colon given a technical here, the foul was clearly a flagrant personal foul because the ball was live. Am I missing something here?
What does it matter? It's a flagrant foul, two shots and the ball, amd he's ejected.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Fri Dec 01, 2006, 09:17am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMEngmann
Was contact made? If not, it's a T.

Some would say that all fighting is a T, even during a live ball with contact (and I'm not trying to start that discussion again).

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyron
The announcers did a nice job: "It's a technical," "It's intentional," and finally, "It's flagrant."

I don't know NCAA, but I'm fairly confident that only one of those is correct.
Up to two of them could be correct.
Old Fri Dec 01, 2006, 09:32am

Quote:
Originally Posted by eg-italy
A bit theatrical, IMHO. In FIBA there is a proper signal for a disqualifying foul (personal or technical): raise both arms with the closed fist.
I totally agree, way over the top. He embarassed the player. He only needed to run up there to make sure there was no retaliation. He actually caught the retaliation, he missed the first foul that lead to this altercation.

Just go over to the table and indicate # is ejected for throwing a punch. Notify the coach, notify partners, determine who's shooting the technical.