The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Dec 01, 2006, 07:38pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMEngmann
Why was Colon given a technical here, the foul was clearly a flagrant personal foul because the ball was live. Am I missing something here?
I had the same thought. The official clearly gives the T signal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BktBallRef
What does it matter? It's a flagrant foul, two shots and the ball, amd he's ejected.
It's a matter of getting the call right. It's true that the most important thing is that the action was observed and the offender was punished by being DQ'd, but there are other lesser factors which should be handled correctly as well.

For example, it makes a difference which player from the offended team may shoot the 2FTs and also the ensuing throw-in spot would be different.

Small potatoes when compared with the meat of the play, but we should strive to get the whole meal just right.
Old Sun Dec 03, 2006, 12:19am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref
I had the same thought. The official clearly gives the T signal.

It's a matter of getting the call right. It's true that the most important thing is that the action was observed and the offender was punished by being DQ'd, but there are other lesser factors which should be handled correctly as well.

For example, it makes a difference which player from the offended team may shoot the 2FTs and also the ensuing throw-in spot would be different.

Small potatoes when compared with the meat of the play, but we should strive to get the whole meal just right.

According to the Yahoo! Sports article, Taylor Harrison was the player who was punched. According to the box score, the foul was a technical (that may be the only way to input a flagrant foul into the computer), but more importantly, Jerome Randal took the FT's. Seems to me that this was not only signaled as a technical foul, but enforced as one, as well.

http://calbears.cstv.com/sports/m-ba...07/ksucal.html