Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Dec 01, 2006, 09:33am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins
Up to two of them could be correct.
I see what you mean. And not just any two.
Old Fri Dec 01, 2006, 09:43am
Official Forum Member

I'm going to send this to all of the officials that ball watch! If this gets missed then you are going to have a brawl.

That player gets the coward of the year award for hitting someone with their back turned.
Old Fri Dec 01, 2006, 11:04am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old School
I totally agree, way over the top. He embarassed the player. He only needed to run up there to make sure there was no retaliation. He actually caught the retaliation, he missed the first foul that lead to this altercation.

Just go over to the table and indicate # is ejected for throwing a punch. Notify the coach, notify partners, determine who's shooting the technical.
When a kid does something so non-basketball and wrong as that he should get embarrassed imo. Also look at where the call is made. Way off the ball. How many fans, and for that matter the coaches, saw that. If he is going to toss the kid, he has to come in hard and sell the hell out of this call. I believe he did it just right. Plus he had the tape to validate him with the commissioner and his boss. All around good job if you ask me.
Old Fri Dec 01, 2006, 11:15am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
He embarassed the player.
Oh, please. This is a pretty silly (and I'm being generous with language here) comment. He did what he needed to do (or thought he needed to do) to keep control of the game at that point.

Perhaps you've never been in a situation like that, but worrying about the potential embarrassment of a player who just tried to cold-cock someone is absurd.
Old Fri Dec 01, 2006, 11:34am
Esteemed Participant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Aggie
Oh, please. This is a pretty silly (and I'm being generous with language here) comment.
Old School joined the forum in November and - by my informal count - now has about 45 pretty silly (and I am also being VERY generous with the language) comments...that's more than one "silly comment" per day. Almost as bad as that scrapper1 guy!!
Old Fri Dec 01, 2006, 11:42am
Official Forum Member

to those officials that said

"its over the top" and "he embarassed a player" "and this happened because he missed the first foul" -- i say to these LO @#$@#$@#$ L

Lets adress that He missed the first foul -- which was a bump if this idiot doesnt go Evander Holifield no one would notice that bump because it was quite frankly nothing. thats an off ball foul I would pass on -- nothing serious really. And when does a bump with the hip call for a dome ringer in retaliation?

Secondly whether or not contact occured on the punch -- ITS AN EJECTION -- intent was there and there is no reason a player that throws a haymaker should remain the game -- EVER.

OVER the TOP -- This is a call you have to sell because most people didnt see it or might have missed it -- it happened rather matter of factly but the official did a great job of seeing it, recognizing it, and calling it. He made sure everyone knew what was happening and that he was on it and the white player (jersey color) didn't have to retaliate because it was dealt with ASAP. Great job. You can sit back and blow your whistle and make your T signal or whatever signal you want but it wont end there I guarantee it.

And the official DIDN'T embarass the player -- the player's cowardly act embarassed himself. this wasnt a case of the player doing something silly and the official making a huge deal about it. This is about a huge deal being made of a huge issue., and at the center is said player. Besides if that coach is worth his weight in feathers the least thing said player should be concerend about is embrassment by the official.

amazing how some could even mention that a thrown punch that misses could not lead to an ejection and that an official taking charge is over the top. JR take it away.
Old Fri Dec 01, 2006, 11:46am
Official Forum Member

Thumbs up

Deecee nailed it! If I had that clapping icon, I'd post it here.
Old Fri Dec 01, 2006, 12:10pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs down

Quote:
I totally agree, way over the top. He embarassed the player. He only needed to run up there to make sure there was no retaliation. He actually caught the retaliation, he missed the first foul that lead to this altercation.
You're nuts! This kid just took a cheap shot swing at an oppoent from behind and you worrying about embarassing him. **** him. He embarassed himself, his team, his coach, and his university!

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Fri Dec 01, 2006, 12:18pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyroad
Almost as bad as that scrapper1 guy!!
Now now...no need to get snippy...(not that I disagree of course but we must try not to cut each other too deeply with our scalpel-like wit)
Old Fri Dec 01, 2006, 12:23pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by deecee
to those officials that said

"its over the top" and "he embarassed a player" "and this happened because he missed the first foul" -- i say to these LO @#$@#$@#$ L

Lets adress that He missed the first foul -- which was a bump if this idiot doesnt go Evander Holifield no one would notice that bump because it was quite frankly nothing. thats an off ball foul I would pass on -- nothing serious really. And when does a bump with the hip call for a dome ringer in retaliation?
DeeCee, you need to check yourself here. I'm sure that little hip check didn't cause this player to do this. I'm sure there was something else that pushed this guys button that lead to this violent act. Good officials have to be aware of that too. There was probably a call missed earlier in the game and when you add in the hip check and all the other cheap stuff the player was doing and getting away with it. Then you get the violent reaction.

The NFL is taking steps to try and get the perpetrator first. You can see this by the fines that are being levied out to the person who didn't throw a punch. Hooray for the NFL, they get it.

I have no doubt in my mind that this player should be tossed, but I also strongly believe that players don't come to the gym looking to cold-cock somebody on the first bump. Let me tell you something. If a man that big is having a bad day, the absolute worse thing you want to do is run up on him and throw your arms out in a emphatic motion and say you are tossed! You might just push him over the edge. This guy backed down, thank goodness! I have seen guys like that that don't back down. This little pint size referee up in my face, I'm already kicked out the game, possibly now kicked off the team, I might as well make go out with bang. Now, what you gonna do?

We do not want to escalate the issue or the player and that's exactly what this referee action could have done, in my opinion. Tell the coach the player is ejected and for this reason. Let the coach tell him he's got to go to the locker room.

Quote:
OVER the TOP -- This is a call you have to sell because most people didnt see it or might have missed it -- it happened rather matter of factly but the official did a great job of seeing it, recognizing it, and calling it. He made sure everyone knew what was happening and that he was on it and the white player (jersey color) didn't have to retaliate because it was dealt with ASAP. Great job. You can sit back and blow your whistle and make your T signal or whatever signal you want but it wont end there I guarantee it.
All I got to say to this is the tape don't lie. Oh, did we forget about that? You are over-the-top!

Peace
Old Fri Dec 01, 2006, 12:24pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I totally agree, way over the top. He embarassed the player.
Puleeze. The player embarassed himself (and his team and his school). The ref did a great job of catching the off-ball action and jumped all over it. He was in a hurry to get over there and his mechanics reflected his rush to get over to the play. I commend the official. How can you find fault when he did such a great job?
Old Fri Dec 01, 2006, 12:25pm
Courageous When Prudent

Old School must be a great fisherman b/c he sure is reeling y'all in with his bait.
Old Fri Dec 01, 2006, 12:44pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
Yeah, my first thought too was that haircut had to be some kind of "T". And if it wasn't, it sureashell should be.

Maybe you could send him out of the game for being dangerous--poke somebody's eye out or sumthin'?
My first year officiating Varsity games, during warmups a kid took off his warmup pants to reveal some "cat in the hat" striped socks pulled up clear over his knees. When I inquired of my partner if they were legal or there was a T for this, his response was, "Only if you're planning to whack him for having bad taste."

I think the hairdo falls into that category.
Old Fri Dec 01, 2006, 12:48pm
Official Forum Member

the player looked a bit shocked almost like -- "wow he saw this -- shoot I dont know what to do I wasn't expecting the ref to see that. Oh well coach will kill me so I best get out of here ASAP."

And there are plenty of people out there with what I like to call "reality imbalance" -- you can all use this term as you like but send me a some kind of royalty when you do -- but it simply is that some people have the ability to overreact to certain situations because they cannot reasonably judge fair and reasonable retaliation (whether physical, emotional whatever it may be). This player threw his haymaker and continued running like nothing happened hoping the officials wouldnt notice. I guarantee if that player did anything to the ref he would be in jail on assault and battery charges and just when you think "oh well its as bad as it can be" it GETS WORSE. I think getting carted off the court in handcuffs or physically removed is just a bit worse than leaving on your own -- my 2cents.

"Hey home coach you see those 4 players brawling it out -- well I decided that I couldn't handle doing my job and ejecting him so I would like you to pass on to your 2 players involved -- oh wait make that 3 ummm nope 4 -- that they will be ejected and ummm yeah thank you."

"Hey visiting coach -- listen....huh?.......oh that's just a fight that could have been avoided if I had done my job but hey I don't want to get my little fingers wet so if you could at your convenience, or at as soon as #4 returns #12's eyeball if you could be a gem and have those 5 ummm no 4 players leave the gym please. I am sure they can continue this outside and not disrupt the game but coah please do that for me"

Yeah you tell the coach -- every ejection I have had which to date has been 0 -- would have gone like this -- *tweet* make my call and make sure everyone knows that player X has been ejected. Then after a few seconds when the dust settles let my partner know what just happened then inform the coach of the ejection and then the table -- then answer and of the coaches questions. But I guarantee in any ejection the FIRST PERSON to know other than myself will be THE PLAYER GETTING EJECTED. The explanation will go to the coach.
Old Fri Dec 01, 2006, 12:50pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by deecee

amazing how some could even mention that a thrown punch that misses could not lead to an ejection and that an official taking charge is over the top. JR take it away.
Deecee, See BadNews/M&M's post/picture. The guy that you're dealing with isn't an official. He posts for one reason only. It's that simple.

Last edited by Jurassic Referee; Fri Dec 01, 2006 at 12:53pm.