The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Nov 29, 2006, 03:43pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Falling down with the ball

Okay, here's the sitch from my JH games last night. A1 dives for ball and catches it while airborne and then lands on the back side of his shoulder. I have generally wondered about this, leaning towards thinking it's a violation. However, I ended up letting it go last night.

Partner and I discussed it at the next quarter, and his take is that it is legal.

Thoughts?
Old Wed Nov 29, 2006, 03:56pm
Official Forum Member

If a rebounder catches the ball in the air, and then falls,(e.i. touch the floor with something besides hands/feet) I believe you'd call a travel without thinking about it. I think it's a similar situation.

I think the rule is if you are holding a live ball, and touch the floor with anything but your hands and/or feet, it is a travel. I guess the options are call time out real quick, or somehow start a dribble.
Old Wed Nov 29, 2006, 03:59pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to IREFU2 Send a message via Yahoo to IREFU2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells
Okay, here's the sitch from my JH games last night. A1 dives for ball and catches it while airborne and then lands on the back side of his shoulder. I have generally wondered about this, leaning towards thinking it's a violation. However, I ended up letting it go last night.

Partner and I discussed it at the next quarter, and his take is that it is legal.

Thoughts?
That is a travel.
Old Wed Nov 29, 2006, 03:59pm
Official Forum Member

The player would have to control the ball prior to leaving the floor on the 'dive" before it's a violation. If he/she gains control in flight, no violation.
Old Wed Nov 29, 2006, 04:00pm
Official Forum Member

4.44.5 Situation A: It is traveling if A1 falls to the floor:...(b) after being airborne to catch a pass or control a rebound.
Old Wed Nov 29, 2006, 04:16pm
Official Forum Member

If anyone has a copy of "Seven Deadly Sins of Officiating" published in Referee Magazine, they address this exact sitch. The player can land directly on his/her torso, and even slide without rolling over without a violation if possesion is gained after the player is airborne.
Old Wed Nov 29, 2006, 04:23pm
(Something hilarious)

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishinRef
If anyone has a copy of "Seven Deadly Sins of Officiating" published in Referee Magazine, they address this exact sitch. The player can land directly on his/her torso, and even slide without rolling over without a violation if possesion is gained after the player is airborne.
The case play cited by jdw addresses this situation exactly. Violation.
Old Wed Nov 29, 2006, 04:29pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Given a choice, I'll accept the ruling from the Case Book before I accept the article in Referee magazine. If I tell the coach to go look it up in a magazine he'll laugh me out of the gym, but if I tell him that the play is directly out of the NFHS casebook he has nothing left to argue about.
Old Wed Nov 29, 2006, 04:33pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdw3018
4.44.5 Situation A: It is traveling if A1 falls to the floor:...(b) after being airborne to catch a pass or control a rebound.
If we're going to get nitpicky, this was neither a pass or a rebound. It was a loose ball. I have always read this to mean hitting the feet and then falling. Not sure the referee magazine article necessarily contradicts this.
Old Wed Nov 29, 2006, 04:35pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
The case play cited by jdw addresses this situation exactly. Violation.
So you are saying that a player can not legally dive for the ball and gain possession without it being a violation unless he/she defys gravity.

A player landing on their back and staying on their back is no different than a player landing on their feet and staying on their feet.

The rule you are emphasizing uses the word FALL. Falling requires that you be standing or upright first.
Old Wed Nov 29, 2006, 04:39pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
So you are saying that a player can not legally dive for the ball and gain possession without it being a violation unless he/she defys gravity.
No, they have to hit the ground, then hold the ball. Gravity is happy with this choice.

4-44-5 . . . A player holding the ball:
a. May not touch the floor with a knee or any other part of the body other than hand or foot.
Old Wed Nov 29, 2006, 04:46pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
A player can legally dive for the ball anytime. If they get player control before they hit the floor, then it's a travel when they hit. If they get player control after they hit the floor, they can slide, finish rolling over if they were rolling over, etc. Case book plays 4.44.5SitA&B have good explanations.

Methinks that you should re-read the Referee reference. I'm sure that they wouldn't screw up a basic rule that badly.
Old Wed Nov 29, 2006, 04:52pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdw3018
Does this mean that it's legal to catch the ball airborne when it is not a pass or rebound?
I guess the first part of the case play covers this
Quote:
It is traveling if A1 falls to the floor: (a) while holding the ball
IMO it doesn't seem fair for A1 to dive for a ball and gain possession 2 inches from the ground parallel to the floor and be called for a traveling violation. This kid hustles his butt off by diving for the ball and he gets penalized for it. I guess there are other rules that are not exactly fair so I guess I will call it this way.
Old Wed Nov 29, 2006, 05:30pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by All_Heart
IMO it doesn't seem fair for A1 to dive for a ball and gain possession 2 inches from the ground parallel to the floor and be called for a traveling violation. This kid hustles his butt off by diving for the ball and he gets penalized for it. I guess there are other rules that are not exactly fair so I guess I will call it this way.
I happen to agree with you completely. Unfortunately, the rules disagree with what we'd prefer!
Old Wed Nov 29, 2006, 11:26pm
M.A.S.H.

Talking Well...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
Methinks that you should re-read the Referee reference. I'm sure that they wouldn't screw up a basic rule that badly.
You haven't been reading Referee lately then.