The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old Sat Nov 25, 2006, 03:02pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 219
another rules question

after a made basket by B1 ball hits floor and stays on inbounds side of boundry plain. A1 goes out bounds and reaches threw boundry plain and tips ball to inbound player A2. Is this a violation and what rule can you site if it is a violation.
thanks

Last edited by roadking; Sat Nov 25, 2006 at 03:24pm.
Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old Sat Nov 25, 2006, 03:17pm
Never Stop Learning
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 518
Sounds like a leave it alone.
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old Sat Nov 25, 2006, 03:19pm
Adam's Avatar
Keeper of the HAMMER
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: MST
Posts: 27,191
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadking
after a made basket by B1 ball hits floor and stays on inbounds side of boundry plain. A1 goes out bounds and reaches threw boundry plain and tips ball to end bound player A2. Is this a violation and what rule can you site if it is a violation.
thanks
Depends if the ball is on the floor or in the air when A1 taps it. If it's in the air, it's legal, as long as at least one foot is OOB, and no part of him is touching in bounds.
If it's on the floor when he taps it, it's a violation, I think. I'll have to check the rules on it, though.
__________________
Sprinkles are for winners.
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old Sat Nov 25, 2006, 03:31pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Posts: 1,856
NFHS 9-2 NOTE: The thrower may penetrate the plane provided he/she does not touch the inbounds area before the ball is released on the throw-in pass.
__________________
Dan Ivey
Tri-City Sports Officials Asso. (TCSOA)
Member since 1989
Richland, WA
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old Sun Nov 26, 2006, 09:57am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 219
snaqweel,
thats what ive come up with, i had a friend (coach) ask me this question so i would to support it with a rules cite.

how do you put someones post in the high lighted quote?
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old Sun Nov 26, 2006, 02:45pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Posts: 14,613
Click Quote.
__________________
"...as cool as the other side of the pillow." - Stuart Scott

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old Sun Nov 26, 2006, 09:28pm
(Something hilarious)
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: These United States
Posts: 1,162
My take:

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadking
after a made basket by B1 ball hits floor and stays on inbounds side of boundry plain. A1 goes out bounds and reaches threw boundry plain and tips ball to inbound player A2. Is this a violation and what rule can you site if it is a violation.
thanks
NFHS 9-2-2 The ball shall be passed by the thrower directly into the court from out-of-bounds so it touches or is touched by another player (inbounds or out of bounds) on the court before going out of bounds untouched.
NFHS 4-31 A pass is movement of the ball caused by a player who throws, bats, or rolls the ball to another player.


but -

NFHS 4-9-1,2 Boundary lines of the court consist of end lines and sidelines.
The inside edges of these lines define the inbounds and out-of-bounds areas.


So was the ball ever actually out of bounds?

NFHS 4-4-4 A ball which touches a player or an official is the same as the ball touching the floor at that individual's location.

Yes it was! So there is no violation here.
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old Sun Nov 26, 2006, 11:42pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 14,486
Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by HawkeyeCubP
So was the ball ever actually out of bounds?

NFHS 4-4-4 A ball which touches a player or an official is the same as the ball touching the floor at that individual's location.

Yes it was! So there is no violation here.
Despite the ball being in contact with the floor it seems that the ball should be considered out-of-bounds at the moment the OOB player touches it.

RULE4, SECTION 4 BALL LOCATION, AT DISPOSAL
ART. 1 . . . A ball which is in contact with a player or with the court is in the backcourt if either the ball or the player (either player if the ball is touching more than one) is touching the backcourt.
ART. 2 . . . A ball which is in contact with a player or with the court is in the frontcourt if neither the ball nor the player is touching the backcourt.

7-1-2 . . . The ball is out of bounds when it touches or is touched by:
a. A player who is out of bounds.


Therefore, I wish to sidestep this issue and would support calling a violation on this throw-in play by pointing to 9-2-5 ". . . The thrower shall not carry the ball onto the court."
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old Mon Nov 27, 2006, 12:27am
(Something hilarious)
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: These United States
Posts: 1,162
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref
Despite the ball being in contact with the floor it seems that the ball should be considered out-of-bounds at the moment the OOB player touches it.

RULE4, SECTION 4 BALL LOCATION, AT DISPOSAL
ART. 1 . . . A ball which is in contact with a player or with the court is in the backcourt if either the ball or the player (either player if the ball is touching more than one) is touching the backcourt.
ART. 2 . . . A ball which is in contact with a player or with the court is in the frontcourt if neither the ball nor the player is touching the backcourt.

7-1-2 . . . The ball is out of bounds when it touches or is touched by:
a. A player who is out of bounds.


Therefore, I wish to sidestep this issue and would support calling a violation on this throw-in play by pointing to 9-2-5 ". . . The thrower shall not carry the ball onto the court."
I agree that the player is out of bounds, but it seems to me that the out of bounds status of the ball takes precedence over the backcourt status of the ball. There is no definition for "carry" in the Rule Book or anything in the Case Book that I can find that would help clarify, other than 4-15-4-b The dribbler palms/carries the ball by allowing it to come to rest in one or both hands , but I still can't think that that instant of the thrower tapping or pushing the ball can be construed as "carrying" the ball.

And since it doesn't seem to me that a ball can have both backcourt and out of bounds status at the same time, I don't see how even if you ruled the thrower's touch of the ball a carry, that the ball could somehow be both in the backcourt and out of bounds at the same time (during the time the thrower's hand is in contact with the ball).

Think of it this way: You don't call a backcourt violation when a sliding player, in contact with out of bounds, touches the ball in the backcourt near the sideline for what would have been a backcourt violation if the player had been in bounds -- you call out of bounds, don't you? -- Because the ball is now out of bounds - not in the backcourt, technically.

Or am I totally off on this?
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old Mon Nov 27, 2006, 12:31am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Posts: 14,613
Backcourt has nothing to do with this situation. It's either inbounds or out of bounds. Forget about BC.

The original poster is not clear. If the ball is on the floor and the thrower pushes it to his teammate, it's a violation as the ball is inbounds and was never OOB. If the ball is not touching the floor, then the tocuh by the thrower is legal.

You guys are making this way harder than it should be.
__________________
"...as cool as the other side of the pillow." - Stuart Scott

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Reply With Quote
  #11 (permalink)  
Old Mon Nov 27, 2006, 12:39am
(Something hilarious)
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: These United States
Posts: 1,162
Quote:
Originally Posted by BktBallRef
If the ball is on the floor and the thrower pushes it to his teammate, it's a violation as the ball is inbounds and was never OOB.
I understand what you're saying, and both reason and the multitude of problems that I could see arising from the defense getting involved in the touching of this ball would lend to the common sense ruling of a violation, but doesn't NFHS 4-4-4 support the ball having out of bounds status during the touch by the thrower? A ball which touches a player or an official is the same as the ball touching the floor at that individual's location. How can you get around that? Throw-in provisions don't state that the ball must break the throw-in boundary line plane for the ball to legally be thrown in.
Reply With Quote
  #12 (permalink)  
Old Mon Nov 27, 2006, 01:16am
Adam's Avatar
Keeper of the HAMMER
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: MST
Posts: 27,191
If the player were to pick the ball up while standing OOB and proceed to hold the ball while touching it to the floor in bounds; it's a violation. That's how you call the violation if he bats it off the floor to a teammate in lieu of picking it up and throwing it for a standard throw-in. Either the ball was never truly OOB, and you can call that violation, or the OOB player touched the floor in bounds with the ball during a throw-in and you have that violation.
__________________
Sprinkles are for winners.
Reply With Quote
  #13 (permalink)  
Old Mon Nov 27, 2006, 01:30am
(Something hilarious)
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: These United States
Posts: 1,162
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells
If the player were to pick the ball up while standing OOB and proceed to hold the ball while touching it to the floor in bounds; it's a violation.
I want to agree, but cite something to convince me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells
Either the ball was never truly OOB,
and you can call that violation,
I don't see a grey area here, personally, for the status of the ball. The ball is either out of bounds or not out of bounds, not "kind-of out of bounds, but not enough for a legal throw-in to happen," by virtue of 4-4-4 and 7-1-2-a.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells
or the OOB player touched the floor in bounds with the ball during a throw-in and you have that violation.
Again, as soon as I hear a citation to prove something to this effect, I'll concede. I'm just not there yet. I'm stuck on the stuff I've already cited.
Reply With Quote
  #14 (permalink)  
Old Mon Nov 27, 2006, 01:57am
Adam's Avatar
Keeper of the HAMMER
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: MST
Posts: 27,191
Hawkeye,
Let me ask you this. A1, who is standing OOB for a throw-in following a shot, loses his balance and steps just over the line onto the inbounds portion of the court. His back foot is still OOB. You're going to call this, right?

This is a violation, and the basis is the same as for the play I described in post #12 above. My book's in the car, I'll look up the rules cite in the morning.
__________________
Sprinkles are for winners.
Reply With Quote
  #15 (permalink)  
Old Mon Nov 27, 2006, 07:18am
In Memoriam
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Hell
Posts: 20,221
Quote:
Originally Posted by HawkeyeCubP
I understand what you're saying, and both reason and the multitude of problems that I could see arising from the defense getting involved in the touching of this ball would lend to the common sense ruling of a violation, but doesn't NFHS 4-4-4 support the ball having out of bounds status during the touch by the thrower? A ball which touches a player or an official is the same as the ball touching the floor at that individual's location. How can you get around that? Throw-in provisions don't state that the ball must break the throw-in boundary line plane for the ball to legally be thrown in.
You get around it by reading all of the rule that you cited and picking out the article that is applicable. See 4-4-1--"A ball which is in contact with a player or with the court is in the backcourt if either the ball or the player is touching the backcourt". The "backcout" is in-bounds as per rules 1-1 and 4-13-2.If the thrower OOB now touches the ball on the court, it's a violation as per rule 9-2-2.

Last edited by Jurassic Referee; Mon Nov 27, 2006 at 07:25am.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Rules Question LPK Basketball 3 Thu Jun 16, 2005 09:44am
Old rules question TriggerMN Basketball 1 Sun Jan 11, 2004 04:50pm
Old Rules Question Nevadaref Basketball 8 Wed Jul 02, 2003 02:49pm
Rules question #3...please help.... trippingants4134 Basketball 11 Tue Feb 26, 2002 11:56pm
Rules question JoeD1 Basketball 2 Fri Nov 24, 2000 10:17pm


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:19pm.



Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.3.0 RC1