The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jun 15, 2005, 11:13pm
Official Forum Member

I'm not an official, just a coach, have one rules question for you all:

What is the penalty when a defensive player breaks the plane of the line during a throw-in? I had thought that it was some form of technical, but all I can find in the 2005 NCAA Rules and Interpretations is Rule 9, Section 15. So is this just basically a do-over? What if the defender does it repeatedly?

Old Wed Jun 15, 2005, 11:24pm
Official Forum Member

First time it's a warning, each successive time it's a technical. Each team gets one warning before a technical can be called on that team.

NFHS Rule 9-2-11: "The opponent(s) of the thrower shall not have any part of his/her person through the inbounds side of the throw-in side of the throw-in boundary-line plane until the ball has been released on a throw-in pass.

"Penalty: The ball becomes dead when the violation or technical foul occurs. Following a violation, the ball is awarded to the opponents of for a throw-in at the original throw-in spot.

"1. The first violation of the throw-in boundary plane by an opponent(s) of the thrower shall result in a team warning for delay being given (one warning per team per game). The warning does not result in the loss of the opportunity to move along the end line when and if applicable.

"2. The second or additional violations will result in a technical foul assessed to the offending team."

Edit: You said you looked in the NCAA rules, notice this is NFHS rules.
Old Thu Jun 16, 2005, 07:58am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by LPK
I'm not an official, just a coach, have one rules question for you all:

What is the penalty when a defensive player breaks the plane of the line during a throw-in? I had thought that it was some form of technical, but all I can find in the 2005 NCAA Rules and Interpretations is Rule 9, Section 15. So is this just basically a do-over? What if the defender does it repeatedly?

The NCAA and NFHS rules are different on this issue.
Old Thu Jun 16, 2005, 09:44am
Official Forum Member

My teams (seniors, as in over-50's) play under NCAA rules. So I guess my memory was in some ways right, but it doesn't apply to them.