The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Nov 21, 2006, 03:59pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old School
I have never seen a jumper go up on a jump and tap it with both hands, never. Can you name a case?
Happened already this year. Both jumpers hit the ball, then when the ball came down, one of them hit it with both hands (simultaneously). Fortunately, my partner knew the rule and didn't blow the whistle.
Old Tue Nov 21, 2006, 04:07pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjones1

But really thinking...

Tanner - good job!

Dang it though; you made me drool on my keyboard.

(Used with permission.)
Old Tue Nov 21, 2006, 04:10pm

I totally agree with you RUT. However, none of these points that the others mention or related to the center toss. I was referring to the jump ball, not a rebound, not a pass to a teammate because the jumper can't pass it to a teammate. When you jump up to tip the ball, it is 99.99999999% tip'd with one hand. Why the rulebook has that .00000001% case is a mystery to me.

It all gets back to using the correct procedure like I said orginally. The basic theory behind the jump ball is the have the highest jumper tip the ball to a teammate. This use to be a special honor for a player. It is all about who can jump the highest. I believe that there is no one in the game of bb that will tell you, they can jump higher with 2 hands up then with 1. I also believe there is no coach that will teach the proper mechanic for the jump ball is to jump with 2 hands either. The key is to throw the ball so these jumpers will have to jump as high as they can to tip the jump ball. If you don't throw it up high enough, then I suppose a 2-hand tap will work, but that's more a poor toss. In the case of the girl protecting herself and just trying to get her hands on the ball. Poor technique if you ask me.
Old Tue Nov 21, 2006, 04:10pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Are we playing volleyball today, or are we playing bb? I'm here to ref bb, so volleyball players please leave the court.
Having just finished my first year of reffing volleyball, I have to say that while it would be unusual to see volleyball ball-handling techniques used in a basketball game, I can't think of any that would be illegal (well, contact with the leg or foot, but I've only seen that done deliberately out of desperation).

Bump, set, spike, and tapping the ball with two hands -- they're all legal, even if never done.
Old Tue Nov 21, 2006, 04:33pm
Official Forum Member

All I see in rule 6-3 is as long as prior to the jump all the requirements have been met, no jumper shall touch the ball more than twice. Even if you counted each hand individually it would still be two touches. This is truely a goof play that happens once in a lifetime.
Old Tue Nov 21, 2006, 04:39pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I believe that there is no one in the game of bb that will tell you, they can jump higher with 2 hands up then with 1. I also believe there is no coach that will teach the proper mechanic for the jump ball is to jump with 2 hands either. The key is to throw the ball so these jumpers will have to jump as high as they can to tip the jump ball. If you don't throw it up high enough, then I suppose a 2-hand tap will work, but that's more a poor toss. In the case of the girl protecting herself and just trying to get her hands on the ball. Poor technique if you ask me.
Who cares?
Old Tue Nov 21, 2006, 04:42pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
I totally agree with you RUT. However, none of these points that the others mention or related to the center toss. I was referring to the jump ball, not a rebound, not a pass to a teammate because the jumper can't pass it to a teammate. When you jump up to tip the ball, it is 99.99999999% tip'd with one hand. Why the rulebook has that .00000001% case is a mystery to me.

It all gets back to using the correct procedure like I said orginally. The basic theory behind the jump ball is the have the highest jumper tip the ball to a teammate. This use to be a special honor for a player. It is all about who can jump the highest. I believe that there is no one in the game of bb that will tell you, they can jump higher with 2 hands up then with 1. I also believe there is no coach that will teach the proper mechanic for the jump ball is to jump with 2 hands either. The key is to throw the ball so these jumpers will have to jump as high as they can to tip the jump ball. If you don't throw it up high enough, then I suppose a 2-hand tap will work, but that's more a poor toss. In the case of the girl protecting herself and just trying to get her hands on the ball. Poor technique if you ask me.
This may or may not all be true, but it's irrelevant to an official. We don't officiate technique; that's called coaching.
And whether the jumpers hit it with two hands has nothing to do with the quality of the toss. Both jumpers may mis-time their jumps and the ball may be well on the way down when they hit it.

I'm having visions of Ace Ventura bending over to talk to his supervisor here.
Old Tue Nov 21, 2006, 04:49pm
Official Forum Member

Maybe your right, who does care. But it seems to me the thing that seperates officials, is getting the obscure call correct and being able to explain it. Thier are a lot of good officials, and something has to seperate you from them. Knowledge of the rules and how to apply them seems like a good start. Lots of officials look great out on the court, and then are lost once the game starts. This forum and these discussions, however trivial are where that begins. I'm new to this site and enjoy the topical debate on such things. Just my opinion.
Old Tue Nov 21, 2006, 06:12pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by j51969
But it seems to me the thing that seperates officials, is getting the obscure call correct and being able to explain it.
That is not really an obscure call though. You're talking about a definition that is relevant to several different situations, not just the opening jump ball. This rules concept comes up during rebounding, saving balls from going OOB, etc., as I listed before. You have to know what player control is, and how it applies to the different situations. See rule 4-15-4NOTE2. That says that there is no player control when a player is slapping the ball during a jump, or batting a rebound or pass away from another player. .

Don't drink the Kool-Aid from the old non-official that is posting in this thread. You would be very wise to completely disregard everything that he says.

"He knoweth not what he speaks!".

Last edited by Jurassic Referee; Tue Nov 21, 2006 at 06:17pm.
Old Tue Nov 21, 2006, 07:47pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
I was referring to the jump ball, not a rebound, not a pass to a teammate because the jumper can't pass it to a teammate.
Another good one.

Right from the rulebook-- "a pass is movement of the ball caused by the player who throws, bats, or rolls the ball to another player".

The jumper can't bat the ball to a teammate, eh?

If you had a rulebook, you might have known that one, Old Troll.
Old Tue Nov 21, 2006, 08:53pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyezen
OT Reply:

Which state do you work in that has three man in JH?
Alabama. In some schools we do it by choice and split the money three ways. We do high school with three so we also do JH with three to work on it and train newer officials.

I appreciate all the responses. To cut through to the meat of what I learned in this thread, it is that in the future, even though it may be a late whistle, I will call it if I know for sure what I saw. Also, I learned a two hand touch is legal. It may never happen but now I know that if it does happen I am ready for it.

Finally, I have never been to a camp so I am going off of my training and what I have learned from this web site. As the R, I toss the ball and, no I usually do not look up. I have practiced my toss and almost always get a good one. I don't look up until late because I was told that is a good way to get a broken nose from tall players. I also do not have my whistle in my mouth. If this is not correct then what is the correct way to do it?

Last edited by johnnyrao; Tue Nov 21, 2006 at 09:05pm.
Old Tue Nov 21, 2006, 10:38pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
IIt all gets back to using the correct procedure like I said orginally. The basic theory behind the jump ball is the have the highest jumper tip the ball to a teammate. This use to be a special honor for a player. It is all about who can jump the highest. I believe that there is no one in the game of bb that will tell you, they can jump higher with 2 hands up then with 1. I also believe there is no coach that will teach the proper mechanic for the jump ball is to jump with 2 hands either. The key is to throw the ball so these jumpers will have to jump as high as they can to tip the jump ball. If you don't throw it up high enough, then I suppose a 2-hand tap will work, but that's more a poor toss. In the case of the girl protecting herself and just trying to get her hands on the ball. Poor technique if you ask me.
There's a saying in volleyball (you're the one who brought up that subject) that seems to work for this case too. Ugly ain't illegal. Bad toss? Re-do it. Poor technique, but it gets the job done? Play on!. Ugly play, that's "not basketball"? If it ain't illegal, it's play on.
Old Wed Nov 22, 2006, 03:33pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
Another good one.

Right from the rulebook-- "a pass is movement of the ball caused by the player who throws, bats, or rolls the ball to another player".

The jumper can't bat the ball to a teammate, eh?

If you had a rulebook, you might have known that one, Old Troll.

I don't think the world's gonna come to an end if I call a violation because I thought the jumper grabbed the ball with 2 hands instead of tapping, batting, or rolling the tip to a teammate.

Peace

Last edited by bob jenkins; Wed Nov 22, 2006 at 04:25pm.
Old Wed Nov 22, 2006, 03:40pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I don't think the world's gonna come to an end if I call a violation because I thought the jumper grabbed the ball with 2 hands instead of tapping, batting, or rolling the tip to a teammate.
Welcome back, Old School.

Did you have a chance to go over any of the questions I asked you a while back?

If not, I'm sure the world isn't gonna to come to an end.

(Used with permission.)

Old Wed Nov 22, 2006, 03:44pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:

Peace
Ah, but that's not what you said you'd do. You said you'd call a violation if you thought the jumper "tapped" the ball with two hands simultaneously. While the world may not come to an end (the world isn't going to come to an end no matter what we do on a basketball court), it is still the absolute wrong call.