The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Nov 21, 2006, 08:31am
Official Forum Member

Center Toss

Boys JH game last night. I am the R. I toss the ball up and wait to see which direction it is goin. As I glance up I see A1 (Team A's center) holding the ball with two hands then toss it to a teammate. I wait for a whistle from one of my partners but it never comes. I know this is not the R's call, but in this situation would you quickly put your whislte in your mouth and call it? I did not. I also had to listen to the Team B coach since I became the T right in front of his bench. He was right on this one. At halftime U1 said he thought the center just tapped it with both hands and U2 said he did not see it. Any advice for me for the future if I am the R? Looking back, I think I probably should have called it.
Old Tue Nov 21, 2006, 08:40am
Official Forum Member

Talking

I would give my partner first shot, then if no call, find my whistle and make the call, cause my whistle is not in my mouth when I toss.
Old Tue Nov 21, 2006, 08:50am
Official Forum Member

OT Reply

OT Reply:

Which state do you work in that has three man in JH?
Old Tue Nov 21, 2006, 10:06am
Official Forum Member

So... you're using the toss, duck, and cover method?
Old Tue Nov 21, 2006, 10:20am

Far as I'm concerned, all 3 of you dinked this up. Something that is not taught at all is the jump ball procedure. You tossed the ball and then you glanced up! That must have been one heck of a toss. When you toss the ball you should be looking up to make sure the jumpers don't touch the ball before it reaches it highest point. You also need to look up to make sure you tossed it straight. That way if someone grabs it, you are right there to see it.

Granted your partners are responsible to make this call, if they don't, then it's okay for you to call it, if you have defiant knowledge. Also, your toss may not have been high enough if one of the jumpers tipped it with two hands, which I don't think is legal anyway. You toss the ball high enough, they can't jump up and tip it with two hands.
Old Tue Nov 21, 2006, 10:42am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old School

1) Also, your toss may not have been high enough if one of the jumpers tipped it with two hands, which I don't think is legal anyway.

2)You toss the ball high enough, they can't jump up and tip it with two hands.
Good Lord, JThomas from McGriffs comes out of retirement...and still doesn't own a rulebook.

1) Borrow a book from somebody and look up what a jumper can legally do. As usual, you're completely wrong. There has NEVER been a rule in any ruleset stating that you can't tip a ball with 2 hands on a jump.

2) That statement ties for the dumbest one ever made on this forum. Why can't they can't tip it with 2 hands? Isn't the ball gonna come back down? Ever heard of "gravity"?

Lah me....
Old Tue Nov 21, 2006, 11:05am

[2) That statement ties for the dumbest one ever made on this forum. Why can't they can't tip it with 2 hands? Isn't the ball gonna come back down? Ever heard of "gravity"?

Lah me....[/QUOTE]

I hate to ask what was the dumbest if you think that was dumb.

Why can't you tip the ball with both hands? Because it might look like you caught it and beep, other way. Because if your coach sees this, you might not be the jumper anymore for your team. We don't have to worry about the between the lines in the rulebook JR. So technically, I guess you are correct, but realistically, it might not be that smart for a jumper to do.

Isn't the ball gonna come back down? Ever heard of gravity? Oh my, I got to respond to that. The objective of the jump ball procedure is to toss the ball high enough so that the ball is touched by one or both jumper at it's highest point. If that doesn't happen, than it probably wasn't a good toss.

Like I said, jump ball procedure needs to be taught and you can't learn that in a rulebook, JR, aka referee hater.
Old Tue Nov 21, 2006, 11:10am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
[2) That statement ties for the dumbest one ever made on this forum. Why can't they can't tip it with 2 hands? Isn't the ball gonna come back down? Ever heard of "gravity"?

Lah me....
I hate to ask what was the dumbest if you think that was dumb.

Why can't you tip the ball with both hands? Because it might look like you caught it and beep, other way. Because if your coach sees this, you might not be the jumper anymore for your team. We don't have to worry about the between the lines in the rulebook JR. So technically, I guess you are correct, but realistically, it might not be that smart for a jumper to do.[/quote]

Just because the coach might not want the jumper to do so, doesn't mean it doesn't happen or that it's illegal -- as you "thought'" it might be.

Quote:
Isn't the ball gonna come back down? Ever heard of gravity? Oh my, I got to respond to that. The objective of the jump ball procedure is to toss the ball high enough so that the ball is touched by one or both jumper at it's highest point. If that doesn't happen, than it probably wasn't a good toss.
It's supposed to be touched "AFTER" it reaches its highest point, not "AT" its highest point. And, a "good" toss can be "stolen" (illegal, but it's still a good toss) or touched on the way back down.

Quote:
Like I said, jump ball procedure needs to be taught
Agreed. It doesn't look good if the game starts with a mistake by the officials.
Old Tue Nov 21, 2006, 11:18am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Like I said, jump ball procedure needs to be taught and you can't learn that in a rulebook, JR, aka referee hater.
You got that one completely wrong, JThomas. I don't hate referees. You aren't a referee and you never have been a referee. You certainly don't own the current rulebooks either, do you? I don't like people that pose as officials and have never officiated a game in their life, but still choose to disseminate false and misleading information. That would be you.
Old Tue Nov 21, 2006, 11:23am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Granted your partners are responsible to make this call, if they don't, then it's okay for you to call it, if you have defiant knowledge.
Why does one have to know about disobedience in order to make this call?
Old Tue Nov 21, 2006, 11:25am
Esteemed Participant

Hey JR, I liked the part where he told the OP'er that it was bad that he tosses it and then glanced up, but then went on to tell the OP'er that he should look up to make sure it's a good toss, yada, yada, yada...don't do it, but do it? Interesting...
Old Tue Nov 21, 2006, 11:32am
Official Forum Member

Starting the game off on a bad note sets the wrong tone in my opinion. I think this is a pre-game topic.
Old Tue Nov 21, 2006, 11:32am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyroad
Hey JR, I liked the part where he told the OP'er that it was bad that he tosses it and then glanced up, but then went on to tell the OP'er that he should look up to make sure it's a good toss, yada, yada, yada...don't do it, but do it? Interesting...
This particular poster is quite familiar, Rocky. He's posted some real dandies over on McGriffs in the past in both the basketball and baseball forums. The problem is that you might get some younger, inexperienced officials that might actually swallow some of his posts.

Can you spell T-R-O-L-L?
Old Tue Nov 21, 2006, 11:40am

Quote:
Bob Jenkins says; Just because the coach might not want the jumper to do so, doesn't mean it doesn't happen or that it's illegal -- as you "thought'" it might be.
If I "THOUGHT" he caught the ball Bob instead of tipping it with 2 hands, we're going the other way. Are we being a little anal here?

Quote:
Bob says; It's supposed to be touched "AFTER" it reaches its highest point, not "AT" its highest point.
Seriously Bob, you need to get out more! There is life outside of basketball, seriously, there is! I going to recommend that you and JR spend some quality time with a member of the opposite sex.

Peace
Old Tue Nov 21, 2006, 11:41am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Looks like the thanksgiving turkey is making an early appearance