Thread: Center Toss
View Single Post
Old Tue Nov 21, 2006, 04:42pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old School
I totally agree with you RUT. However, none of these points that the others mention or related to the center toss. I was referring to the jump ball, not a rebound, not a pass to a teammate because the jumper can't pass it to a teammate. When you jump up to tip the ball, it is 99.99999999% tip'd with one hand. Why the rulebook has that .00000001% case is a mystery to me.

It all gets back to using the correct procedure like I said orginally. The basic theory behind the jump ball is the have the highest jumper tip the ball to a teammate. This use to be a special honor for a player. It is all about who can jump the highest. I believe that there is no one in the game of bb that will tell you, they can jump higher with 2 hands up then with 1. I also believe there is no coach that will teach the proper mechanic for the jump ball is to jump with 2 hands either. The key is to throw the ball so these jumpers will have to jump as high as they can to tip the jump ball. If you don't throw it up high enough, then I suppose a 2-hand tap will work, but that's more a poor toss. In the case of the girl protecting herself and just trying to get her hands on the ball. Poor technique if you ask me.
This may or may not all be true, but it's irrelevant to an official. We don't officiate technique; that's called coaching.
And whether the jumpers hit it with two hands has nothing to do with the quality of the toss. Both jumpers may mis-time their jumps and the ball may be well on the way down when they hit it.

I'm having visions of Ace Ventura bending over to talk to his supervisor here.