The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Nov 21, 2006, 11:50am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old School
If I "THOUGHT" he caught the ball Bob instead of tipping it with 2 hands, we're going the other way. Are we being a little anal here?
It appears that you, not surprisingly, missed the point. At 9:20 this morning (according to the post header) you said:
Quote:
if one of the jumpers tipped it with two hands, which I don't think is legal anyway.
The whole point is that tipping the ball with two hands is legal, and counts as one of the two allowed touches.
Old Tue Nov 21, 2006, 11:55am
Official Forum Member

Something obvious like that happens I'm going to blow my whistle and call the violation.
Old Tue Nov 21, 2006, 11:56am

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins
The whole point is that tipping the ball with two hands is legal, and counts as one of the two allowed touches.
I think if I allowed you to tip the ball with 2 hands, that would count as 2 touches and you better not touch the ball again, until it is touched by a non-jumper or hits the floor.

I also think you need to get out more......
Old Tue Nov 21, 2006, 12:00pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
I think if I allowed you to tip the ball with 2 hands, that would count as 2 touches and you better not touch the ball again, until it is touched by a non-jumper or hits the floor.

Touching the ball with two hands at the same time is the same as separate touches?

What did I tell you about this goober, folks. T-R-O-L-L!
Old Tue Nov 21, 2006, 12:00pm
Official Forum Member

So, Old School, are you a referee? If so, how long and what levels have you worked?

I assume you've come to this forum to receive and dispense knowledge, just like the rest of us. Most of us receive knowledge from those we know have more than us. Other times we might discuss situations that have happened to us on the court. If you are coming here for the first time simply dispensing your knowledge, it would be helpful to the rest of us to know a little more about you.

(Used with permission.)
Old Tue Nov 21, 2006, 12:02pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

And just why do you think that?
Old Tue Nov 21, 2006, 12:33pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
(deleted by moderator)
So, um, how come you haven't answered the questions posed to you by other posters, including me? If you dislike what other posters have said, make your point and move on to the discussion at hand. But if you continue to ignore legitimate questions and just call names, you are proving his point.

(Used with permission.)

Last edited by bob jenkins; Tue Nov 21, 2006 at 12:39pm.
Old Tue Nov 21, 2006, 12:41pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I think if I allowed you to tip the ball with 2 hands, that would count as 2 touches
Still wrong. Read the case plays.
Old Tue Nov 21, 2006, 12:46pm
Official Forum Member

...edited by...

Thanks, Bob. For someone who has only posted a couple of times, it was already getting out of control.

(Used with permission.)
Old Tue Nov 21, 2006, 03:06pm

Who's out of control, me or you?

Here's the deal. When I work basketball games, I want to see basketball plays. I have never seen a jumper go up on a jump and tap it with both hands, never. Can you name a case? When you start doing stuff like that, that's not basketball and the caution flag goes up. Are we playing volleyball today, or are we playing bb? I'm here to ref bb, so volleyball players please leave the court.

So deep in the case book, it is ruled legal. Great! That's just what we all need to know. I don't think it does anyone any good to get to carried away with issues like this that's never likely to occur.

Peace
Old Tue Nov 21, 2006, 03:18pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:

Here's the deal. When I work basketball games, I want to see basketball plays. I have never seen a jumper go up on a jump and tap it with both hands, never. Can you name a case? When you start doing stuff like that, that's not basketball and the caution flag goes up. Are we playing volleyball today, or are we playing bb? I'm here to ref bb, so volleyball players please leave the court.
Just because something is unusual, does not make it illegal. It is not illegal to tap the ball with both hands at the same time. Unless you can show us something, I am not sure how you can call a violation for that action. I will agree that it is not usually seen, but this would be like calling a violation for something you do not see very often.

Peace
Old Tue Nov 21, 2006, 03:20pm
In Memoriam

Quote:

So deep in the case book, it is ruled legal. Great! That's just what we all need to know. I don't think it does anyone any good to get to carried away with issues like this that's never likely to occur.
Is tipping a rebound into the basket with two hands a non-basketball play too?

Is tipping a rebound to a teammate with two hands a non-basketball play too?

Is tipping a pass to a teammate with two hands a non-basketball play too?

Is tipping the ball back in-bounds with two hands while saving it from going out-of-bounds a non-basketball play too?

Want me to keep going?

JThomas, you've never officiated a regular basketball game in your life.

Btw, what is the rule book definition of a "tip" and where may I find it in the NFHS rule book?
Old Tue Nov 21, 2006, 03:22pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Easy answer right now.

Quote:
When I work basketball games,
Good, you've finally answered that. So, what level do you work?

Quote:
I want to see basketball plays. I have never seen a jumper go up on a jump and tap it with both hands, never. Can you name a case?
Actually, yes. HS girls, one of the jumpers was taller than me (I'm 6'). The other girl decided not to jump, because she knew she was out-manned. (Oops, bad choice of words.) The tap goes over the shorter girl's head, and she puts both arms up to block/defend, and the ball hits both hands. What would your call be in that instance, and why?

Quote:
Are we playing volleyball today, or are we playing bb? I'm here to ref bb, so volleyball players please leave the court.
So, is that your answer to my previous question - would you eject the player for playing volleyball instead of basketball?

Quote:
Actually, it is good to know. If an official has a good knowledge of the rules, they will be able to handle that once-or-twice in a lifetime call.

(Used with permission.)
Old Tue Nov 21, 2006, 03:54pm
M.A.S.H.

But really thinking...

Old Tue Nov 21, 2006, 03:57pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjones1
But really thinking...

Mmmmmmm.......