The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Nov 22, 2006, 03:52pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyrao
Alabama.
I have practiced my toss and almost always get a good one. I don't look up until late because I was told that is a good way to get a broken nose from tall players. I also do not have my whistle in my mouth. If this is not correct then what is the correct way to do it?
If you don't look up, how do you know if the toss is straight? How do you know if the toss reached it's highest point before a jumper tipped it with 2 hands? To me, you have to look up. If somethings wrong, you're right there to see it and you always have the option to re-toss your own toss.

Don't worry about getting hit by a jumper. Worry about getting your toss right, straight and high enough. The whistle should not be in your mouth. Last thing, be observant as you toss. If you see something coming at you, elbow, foot, wild swinging arm, get your hand up and protect yourself. With the boys/men, separate them a bit at the circle. They do not need to be right up against each other for your toss. That space in between is for you and it will help keep them from contacting you with a body part when you release the ball to start the jump.

Last edited by bob jenkins; Wed Nov 22, 2006 at 04:23pm.
Old Wed Nov 22, 2006, 03:54pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Worry about protecting yourself. Your partner has this call for a reason; it's a better angle than you have.
Old Wed Nov 22, 2006, 04:00pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells
Worry about protecting yourself. Your partner has this call for a reason; it's a better angle than you have.
What do you do if your partner doesn't call it? If you have definite knowledge, you can call it too. It's your toss.

Peace
Old Wed Nov 22, 2006, 04:09pm
Official Forum Member

Yeah but, if you don't know the rules regarding a jump ball, how can you call anything?
Old Wed Nov 22, 2006, 04:17pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old School
What do you do if your partner doesn't call it? If you have definite knowledge, you can call it too. It's your toss.

Peace
True enough, but it's not your primary responsibility. Personally, I watch the ball all the way, but if someone is concerned about the activity affecting his face, I have no problem with a little self-preservation here.
Old Wed Nov 22, 2006, 10:19pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells
We use three person mechanics so we should have two people that are ready to make that call. But, since I did see it I should have called it. Lesson learned here.
Old Thu Nov 23, 2006, 01:51pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyrao
We use three person mechanics so we should have two people that are ready to make that call. But, since I did see it I should have called it. Lesson learned here.
Exactly right. Technically, the R doesn't have to be looking there since it's not the R's call. However, it's just like an airball on the free throw. If the T misses it and the L knows it happened, L needs to hit the whistle.