The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Nov 18, 2006, 01:02am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to CLH Send a message via Yahoo to CLH
Being young...

Ok guys, I'm getting a bit frustrated. So, I'm 23 and in my 6th season, I'm one of the top officials in my league, I get the good games here, I've been to playoffs and Regionals. But, I feel like I just can't get over the hump of being a good official, to a great one. I can work my butt off in a game, and it always seems like theres one call or one stupid little thing that stands out, to me, my coaches, or my partners that jacks up the whole night. I've been to college camps and I feel the same way, all evaluators think I'm already working college ball and tell me I should be, and yet I'm still in high school. My camp games seem same way, work a great game, but theres that one little thing that screws up the whole thing. Anyone ever feel like this, and if so how did or what did you do to correct it?

CLH
Old Sat Nov 18, 2006, 01:32am
Official Forum Member

Need more specifics

CLH:

You have made many generalizations in your post. What are the areas of weakness that you want us to focus on? How does the "system" of advancement work in your area? I think it would be helpful for you to break down the process. I suspect that you are not interacting (networking) wth the "movers and shakers" that can make it happen for you.

Looking for more information....

Best wishes!
Old Sat Nov 18, 2006, 02:19am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally Posted by CLH
Ok guys, I'm getting a bit frustrated. So, I'm 23 and in my 6th season, I'm one of the top officials in my league, I get the good games here, I've been to playoffs and Regionals. But, I feel like I just can't get over the hump of being a good official, to a great one. I can work my butt off in a game, and it always seems like theres one call or one stupid little thing that stands out, to me, my coaches, or my partners that jacks up the whole night. I've been to college camps and I feel the same way, all evaluators think I'm already working college ball and tell me I should be, and yet I'm still in high school. My camp games seem same way, work a great game, but theres that one little thing that screws up the whole thing. Anyone ever feel like this, and if so how did or what did you do to correct it?

CLH
I haven't done any college ball, and haven't even been offered any, so I can't speak from the inside of that angle.

But I do expect that your young age may be a little against you. I'd give it another year or two before you really start fretting. Also, you might think about changing your way of thinking about the game. You're never going to be "there". Don't even try. When you are unwilling to settle for anything but perfection, then it only takes one small dink to ruin everything. The trick is to learn the sort of zen attitude of doing the best you can right now. This is also useful when you're working several levels at once.

"Here I am in a boys 6A varsity play-off. I need to be attentive here, fast here, hold the whistle there, listen to this, say that, and keep my self right here."

"Now I'm helping out a friend doing a 6th grade girls game, I'm walking slowly, signalin this, saying that, coaxing here, encouraging there, ignoring that, calling this, correcting this mis conception, sympathizing with that one, and doing this game right here right now."

I'm definitely not a Zen kinda gal, but I've been finding that this attitude is very much more practical and functional in giving the appearance of confidence and calm control. And that appearance is what always will carry you to the next level. It's not the mistakes that will hold you back, it's the fluster after the mistakes.

At least, that's how it appears to me.
Old Sat Nov 18, 2006, 06:53am
Official Forum Member

CLH... welcome to the club. I am in the same boat you are. I am 23 years old, in my 8th year of organized officiating. I call it organized, because when I was younger I would do little games here and there, but never belonged to an association or any formal training.

I am just starting to get into the college circuit and it was rough getting here and I haven't even "made" it yet.

A couple things that I found really helped me was networking and camps. Last year when I was trying to get on the board I went to as many camps as I could. At one point during the summer I was away from my house for three weeks straight because I went from camp to camp to camp. At these camps not only did I talk with my partners, but I also conversed with the instructors and evaluators getting to know them beyond basketball. That helped the most. I think evaluators like to know what type of a person you are outside of basketball as well as in the sport. If you are committed outside of basketball, there is a good chance you will be committed within the sport as well.

Make some business cards and hand them out. Networking has been great for me. I have "referee" friends all over the country, and actually all over the world. These friends have invited me to tournaments in Vegas, Orlando and beyond allowing me to meet more people and get my name out.

As far as giving that year goes, I can understand that. We both are fighting the age. Regardless of how good an official we are, we still are and certainly in my case, look young. In the college setting that hurts us more than in the high school setting. Coaches, which I've definately seen this year, take advantage of younger looking officials thinking we don't know what we are doing. Work that to your advantage.

Good luck and keep us posted on your progress. Give it time. Just remember everything happens for a reason and eventually you will get where you want to be!

-Paul
Old Sat Nov 18, 2006, 07:26am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainmaker
When you are unwilling to settle for anything but perfection, then it only takes one small dink to ruin everything.
And Chuck is the small dink that would do that too!!

Gone but not forgotten.....

Chuck Elias
Old Sat Nov 18, 2006, 08:56pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Quote:
And that appearance is what always will carry you to the next level.
Juulie's right. In fact, it's her "appearance" that encourages me to schedule her for 3rd and 4th grade girls games in our rec league.
Old Sat Nov 18, 2006, 11:22pm
Official Forum Member

I was in the same boat you guys were in more than a decade ago. 23-24, with a few years under my belt and good reviews from camps and college assignors, decent schedule and some college games. I have looked older than I really am for a while, so that helped me a little, but I realize now I had a lot of immaturity. I believe maturity level (and that covers a LOT of things) is the absolute hardest thing humans (particularly men) can be objective at. Believe me, I had immaturities about me in my 30s, so this isn't age specific, and at 23, you've got a long way to go before immaturity is actually a negative for you.

The problem is that you can't learn maturity from anything but experience and years. Once you hit around 35, I think you'll start to see things about yourself that you didn't realize when younger. The best advice I can give you now is to be patient. Work your opportunities, but don't overwork them -- i.e., don't put yourself in a position that's over your head. Try to be as realistic about yourself as possible, and ask others to evaluate you. If you are working high level high school games at 23, you are far ahead of the vast majority of officials out there.

Also realize that the caveat, be careful what you wish for, is absolutely true. I didn't think it was when I was younger. I set all my goals up, not realizing the time and effort it would take to reach them. Not so much from a hard work standpoint, but from a sacrifice standpoint. When I got married, my perspectives and focus changed. Officiating wasn't as important as it had been. I got out of the game for a while, and don't really regret that, though I sort of wish I had gotten back in a few years sooner, but that's OK.

Finally, don't make officiating your entire life. I know sometimes it seems like it is with the time involved, but excel in your professional AND personal life as well. I believe that if you seek excellence in everything, everything else will take care of itself.
Old Sun Nov 19, 2006, 09:53am
Official Forum Member

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
And Chuck is the small dink that would do that too!!

Gone but not forgotten.....

Chuck Elias

JR, What happen to Chuck?
Old Sun Nov 19, 2006, 10:30am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Who's Chuck?
Old Sun Nov 19, 2006, 11:05am
Official Forum Member

"What's up Chuck?" - sorry, couldn't resist.

CLH, BE PATIENT! Your time will come. Something I have heard many times is that "when you are the best at where you are at, then you are ready to move on." Work at being the best at where you are, and your opportunities will present themselves.

I have been officiating for about 8 years now, and for the last 2-3 years I really believed I was one of the best in my Chapter. Then I started going to camps . . . and I was humbled very quickly. I too, received great reviews and critiques, and I have been told I should already be calling college ball, and yet I am not. I don't get discouraged though. The opportunity to call college games is a GOAL. Once that goal is reached, I will set another goal. Until then, I can only control what I have control over.

Where my officiating is concerned, that means, dressing professionally when going to games (I always wear slacks, dress shirt, and a tie, and many times I wear a jacket). It tells coaches and administrators that I want to be taken seriously, and that I take my responsibilities as an official seriously. I always have my uniform in prestine condition. I always hustle during the game. I always communicate with the coaches and players in a professional and courteous way. I always study and re-study the rules. I always ask other officials (more experienced) for their opinions and critiques of my officiating. When I can, I give coaches a blank tape and a SASE to send me a copy of the game film so I can evaluate my performance in that game (self-evaluation). I go to camps. I meet people. I talk with other officials. I hang out with officials that already call college games, and listen to their experiences. (If you want to make millions of dollars you don't hang out with the "fry-guy" at McDonald's to learn how, you hang out with people who make millions of dollars! Same with officials . . . if you want to go to the next level, spend time with people who are already there, not with 15-year veterans who still get a GREAT JH schedule each year.)

What I am saying is that focus on those things that YOU have ultimate control over, and the rest will happen on its own. If you focus on those circumstances and decisions you do not control, you will get more and more frustrated until you eventually get bitter, and maybe even quit!

OH, and HAVE FUN! I left a VG Tournament Championship game yesterday and as I walked out the door I remember thinking that I would have done the game for free. That is how much fun I had! I think it should be that way across the board. But that is just me. Best wishes and stay positive!
Old Sun Nov 19, 2006, 11:37am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to CLH Send a message via Yahoo to CLH
So what you guys are telling me is quit worrying! haha. I'm a perfectionist in everything I do, and even more so with officiating. I try to do all the little things others don't, have my uniform fitted, wear coat and tie to games, get films all that. It just drives me nuts when I see some guys getting picked up, and I think what the hell are they doing I'm not. I dropped nearly 50lbs in the last few years because I knew I didn't look athletic. Now I weigh about 155 and try to work out, I look alot better.

Oh, and Aggie, its too late, officiating already runs my life. Ask my friends, I watch NBA games, and they automatically ask me who's calling, sad thing is I usually know within a few seconds.

CLH
Old Sun Nov 19, 2006, 11:48am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally Posted by CLH
So what you guys are telling me is quit worrying! haha. I'm a perfectionist in everything I do, and even more so with officiating. I try to do all the little things others don't, have my uniform fitted, wear coat and tie to games, get films all that. It just drives me nuts when I see some guys getting picked up, and I think what the hell are they doing I'm not. I dropped nearly 50lbs in the last few years because I knew I didn't look athletic. Now I weigh about 155 and try to work out, I look alot better.

Oh, and Aggie, its too late, officiating already runs my life. Ask my friends, I watch NBA games, and they automatically ask me who's calling, sad thing is I usually know within a few seconds.

CLH
If what you're doing isn't working, try something else. Perhaps relaxing and getting a life would be a good thing to do, and it might actually help your game.

Of course your uniform should fit, but you may not need to "get it fitted". Of course you should dress nicely when you go to games, but coat and tie is overkill for going to a girls' jv game. Unless that's what you wear all day, and it's just fastest and easiest to show up that way.

If officiating really, truly does run your life, you need to deal with that. A lot of refs joke around about that, but we don't really mean that we are literally addicted. If you are, it's not a good thing. Get some help. I'm not saying this to be critical or harsh, just to express the reality that I see. If you really, truly never get picked up for college ball, will you be able to let go and find something else to do with your life? You've got to keep a perspective now, or you'll won't be able to find one later.
Old Sun Nov 19, 2006, 11:59am
Official Forum Member

CLh,

Don't worry, You have time to still make it. What I didn't hear you say in any of your posts is that you are having fun doing this. I'm not saying this is your problem but maybe have a smile. Look like you are enjoying your refereeing. I started 7 years ago and I'm 50 now. I had some looks this year and as soon as they hear my age. They give me that you should be doing some college ball. I can sympathizes with your frusttration, but It will happen one day. Rainmaker made a comment that you are still young. by 25 you will be a made man in the world of officiating. hang in and good luck.. Keep the faith..
Old Sun Nov 19, 2006, 12:34pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by truerookie
JR, What happen to Chuck?
Chuck took his 8,600 posts and called it a career:
A Fond Farewell
Old Sun Nov 19, 2006, 02:27pm
Huck Finn

Quote:
Of course your uniform should fit, but you may not need to "get it fitted".
I disagree with this. Most officials don't wear their uniform in a manner that looks good or as good as it could be. For instance, many officials wear shirts that are too big.

Once I heard an assigner out west say she (only one female who assigns D1 men's that I know of) wants officials who need to be in D1 rather than want to be in D1. She wasn't asking for anyone to lay down their life for basketball, but she wanted someone who has serious passion for the game.

I'm also somewhat of a perfectionist and I think perfection should be your goal. Whether you reach perfection or not is another thing, but attempting to do less will lead to lesser results (my opinion).

Stay hungry!

Just another perspective.